Windows 10: Upgraded motherboard recently, gave old one to my brother and he immediately activated his...

Discus and support Upgraded motherboard recently, gave old one to my brother and he immediately activated his... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; How screwed am I? submitted by /u/Support_Lyf [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Support_Lyf, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Upgraded motherboard recently, gave old one to my brother and he immediately activated his...

/u/Support_Lyf, Dec 3, 2019
  2. mshimala Win User

Windows saying not activated after motherboard upgrade

Hi,

I recently upgraded some PC parts (new motherboard, RAM, processor, video card) and ever since then I have a watermark in the bottom right of my display reading "Activate Windows - Go to Settings to activate Windows."

I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 back when they were allowing Windows 8 users to upgrade to Windows 10. I don't remember receiving an activation key during this upgrade.

I've read online that installing a new motherboard can occasionally cause issues with OS activation. How can I reactivate my Windows without having to purchase Windows 10.

Some things to note:
    • This watermark was not there prior to installing the new motherboard
    • As some places (and a Microsoft Tech Support member) suggested, typing the query "wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey" into CMD just returns with "OA3xOriginalProductKey". The Microsoft Support member seemed confused by this and said there was nothing further she could do.

Thanks!

mshimala, Dec 3, 2019
  3. Activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I built the PC myself and it is\was a retail Windows 8 Pro license upgraded to 10.

The guide listed that I should be able to transfer the license, and following the steps given when selecting "I recently changed hardware" in the activation process it does not list my previous device to select from.

My Microsoft account is logged in on both my old and new motherboard, and my old motherboard is unable to boot at all to deactivate or retrieve any keys.

If my license is indeed available for transfer, how can I proceed from here?

Thanks.

Libertherme, Dec 3, 2019
  4. Upgraded motherboard recently, gave old one to my brother and he immediately activated his...

Windows 10 and upgrading motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa (replied
    on July 26, 2015) in the following thread:

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Dec 3, 2019
Thema:

Upgraded motherboard recently, gave old one to my brother and he immediately activated his...

1. Upgraded motherboard recently, gave old one to my brother and he immediately activated his... - Similar Threads - Upgraded motherboard recently

2. I recently retrieved a PC for my friend and it still has his account on it but he does not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I recently retrieved a PC for my friend and it still has his account on it but he does not...: He gave me an old PC that he thought didn’t work anymore but it booted up and worked so when I tried to login, he did not know his password and I am stuck on the password screen...
  3. How to access brothers OLD Microsoft account so he can log into his PC.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to access brothers OLD Microsoft account so he can log into his PC.: I have recently replaced my brothers motherboard after breaking it accidentally when trying to upgrade his CPU. I fixed his PC but now when he tries to log in, instead of a usual pin request when the pc turns on to access his account, he is being asked to remember his old...
  4. How to access brothers OLD Microsoft account so he can log into his PC.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to access brothers OLD Microsoft account so he can log into his PC.: I have recently replaced my brothers motherboard after breaking it accidentally when trying to upgrade his CPU. I fixed his PC but now when he tries to log in, instead of a usual pin request when the pc turns on to access his account, he is being asked to remember his old...
  5. How to access brothers OLD Microsoft account so he can log into his PC.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. After deleting discord my brother keeps getting this message every time he boots up his...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    After deleting discord my brother keeps getting this message every time he boots up his...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ZuCc69420 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j9h2qe/after_deleting_discord_my_brother_keeps_getting/
  7. My brother has an issue with his pc where he can't connect to certain services

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My brother has an issue with his pc where he can't connect to certain services: He can't connect to Oculus. Our internet is fine and works perfectly for me but he still can't connect to some things. And no this isn't an oculus problem because he had some problems with steam as well and he managed to fix that somehow. submitted by /u/UnrrulyRules...
  8. Old Motherboard and Windows Activation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Old Motherboard and Windows Activation: Code 0xC004F211 - Windows reported that the hardware of your device has changed. I have had some trouble with motherboard over the last couple of months, switching between a gigabyte and msi. Both these mobos decided to die and I got gifted another msi mobo from a friend...
  9. my brother just gave me his old computer how do i get rid of everything?

in Windows 10 Customization
    my brother just gave me his old computer how do i get rid of everything?: I have tried factory resetting it would not let me do it for some reason. its kinda frustrating I just want to be able to set up my new computer with out these complications HELP!!!!...
  10. fresh install, old supermicro motherboard, almost gave up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    fresh install, old supermicro motherboard, almost gave up: hi all guys, marco from rome, italy here, looking for advices because i'm about to give up i got this old motherboard in very good conditions, Supermicro X7DAL-E+ loaded with 2x Xeon E5410, 24gb ram, video Gtx 650Ti and everything works like a charm in debian linux. i know...