Windows 10: Upgraded my PC, new motherboard, now need a activation code which I've lost (Bought Windows...

Discus and support Upgraded my PC, new motherboard, now need a activation code which I've lost (Bought Windows... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; What can I do about this issue? I've tried calling support and I get stuck on where it asks me for the first part of my activation key and no option to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Choiven, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Choiven Win User

Upgraded my PC, new motherboard, now need a activation code which I've lost (Bought Windows...

What can I do about this issue? I've tried calling support and I get stuck on where it asks me for the first part of my activation key and no option to talk to an operator.

So backstory:

- bought and built a new PC with windows 8.1 bought separate around 5 years ago

- upgraded to windows 10 when the free upgrades to 10 first came out

- upgraded my computer just recently after some hardware failures (CPU and motherboard)

- Now windows asks me to activate it

I've never done the linking of your Microsoft account to your activation key, to my regret, and the windows 8.1 original packaging is long gone.

Is there any hope for me to get my activation key back? Or is the only way is to buy a new one which I can't really afford atm? (full time uni student)

:)

Choiven, Mar 12, 2019

2. windows 10 activation after upgrading motherboard

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

If its a retail license, learn how to reactivate:

Andre Da Costa, Mar 12, 2019
  3. sofspra Win User
    Windows 10 not activated after new motherboard

Unfortunately, a new motherboard is treated as a new PC. Options are sort of limited. Buying a new W10 license key will solve the problem.

Mel

sofspra, Mar 12, 2019
  4. Upgraded my PC, new motherboard, now need a activation code which I've lost (Bought Windows...

Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade after buying new motherboard de-activated windows

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

If its a retail license, learn how to reactivate using your product key:

Andre Da Costa, Mar 12, 2019
Thema:

Upgraded my PC, new motherboard, now need a activation code which I've lost (Bought Windows...

1. Upgraded my PC, new motherboard, now need a activation code which I've lost (Bought Windows... - Similar Threads - Upgraded motherboard need

2. I upgraded my PC Motherboard and processor and now my windows is reporting not activated.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I upgraded my PC Motherboard and processor and now my windows is reporting not activated.: Is there a way I can reactivate this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-upgraded-my-pc-motherboard-and-processor-and-now/b68ef459-b850-4525-9683-ee96defefd90
  3. I upgraded my PC Motherboard and processor and now my windows is reporting not activated.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I upgraded my PC Motherboard and processor and now my windows is reporting not activated.: Is there a way I can reactivate this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-upgraded-my-pc-motherboard-and-processor-and-now/b68ef459-b850-4525-9683-ee96defefd90
  4. I upgraded my PC Motherboard and processor and now my windows is reporting not activated.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Bought a new motherboard and cpu now im on my new comp but it wont let me activate windows...

Bought a new motherboard and cpu now im on my new comp but it wont let me activate windows...: im trying to contact Microsoft support but it says its unavailable, i want to activate windows but its giving me errors saying that im linked to my old system. any ideas how to get this changed?...
  6. Bought a new motherboard and cpu now im on my new comp but it wont let me activate windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bought a new motherboard and cpu now im on my new comp but it wont let me activate windows...: im trying to contact Microsoft support but it says its unavailable, i want to activate windows but its giving me errors saying that im linked to my old system. any ideas how to get this changed?...
  7. Bought a new motherboard and cpu now im on my new comp but it wont let me activate windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. I've upgraded my Motherboard and CPU

I've upgraded my Motherboard and CPU: Windows is currently telling me windows is not activating as it cant find my activation key within my PC, Storage is all the same like i said i've only upgraded my CPU and Motherboard and now I'm still running Windows 10 Pro but have this annoying activation thing...My...
  9. Upgraded my motherboard, now my windows activation is invalid.

Upgraded my motherboard, now my windows activation is invalid.: I just finished upgrading my PC by installing a new motherboard. Everything was going fine, up until I restarted my PC to finish updating some software. I get back to my home screen and see that I have a Windows 10 Activation watermark, despite the fact that I purchased a key...
  10. Upgrading - need to reinstall windows with new motherboard?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading - need to reinstall windows with new motherboard?: I'm upgrading from a long overdue build from college. I'll be replacing the motherboard and have a full retail windows 10, 64 pro key. Am I going to need to reinstall windows, or can I just drop in the parts and boot up (and install drivers/utilities)? For the curious:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Computer crashed install new motherboard and cpu now windows needs activated