Windows 10: Upgraded my PC, new motherboard, now need a activation code which I've lost (Bought Windows...

Discus and support Upgraded my PC, new motherboard, now need a activation code which I've lost (Bought Windows... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; What can I do about this issue? I've tried calling support and I get stuck on where it asks me for the first part of my activation key and no option to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Choiven, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Choiven Win User

Upgraded my PC, new motherboard, now need a activation code which I've lost (Bought Windows...

What can I do about this issue? I've tried calling support and I get stuck on where it asks me for the first part of my activation key and no option to talk to an operator.

So backstory:

- bought and built a new PC with windows 8.1 bought separate around 5 years ago

- upgraded to windows 10 when the free upgrades to 10 first came out

- upgraded my computer just recently after some hardware failures (CPU and motherboard)

- Now windows asks me to activate it

I've never done the linking of your Microsoft account to your activation key, to my regret, and the windows 8.1 original packaging is long gone.

Is there any hope for me to get my activation key back? Or is the only way is to buy a new one which I can't really afford atm? (full time uni student)

:)

Choiven, Mar 12, 2019

2. windows 10 activation after upgrading motherboard

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

If its a retail license, learn how to reactivate:

Andre Da Costa, Mar 12, 2019
  3. sofspra Win User
    Windows 10 not activated after new motherboard

Unfortunately, a new motherboard is treated as a new PC. Options are sort of limited. Buying a new W10 license key will solve the problem.

Mel

sofspra, Mar 12, 2019
  4. Upgraded my PC, new motherboard, now need a activation code which I've lost (Bought Windows...

Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade after buying new motherboard de-activated windows

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

If its a retail license, learn how to reactivate using your product key:

Andre Da Costa, Mar 12, 2019
Thema:

Upgraded my PC, new motherboard, now need a activation code which I've lost (Bought Windows...

1. Upgraded my PC, new motherboard, now need a activation code which I've lost (Bought Windows... - Similar Threads - Upgraded motherboard need

2. Motherboard Upgrade Windows Activation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Motherboard Upgrade Windows Activation: Im upgrading the motherboard for my computer very soon, and I am worried I may loose my windows activation. I have windows activated but no longer have the key. Is there anyway I can safe gaurd against loosing the activation?...
  3. Activation Code Lost

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation Code Lost: I just got a new computer ( Self- build, so no company to contact for the key ) and I was sure to link my windows to my account. When I finally had time to transfer all my stuff to my new computer and finally use it I quickly had a problem. My windows needed a key to work. I...
  4. I upgraded hardware and now windows needs to be activated

I upgraded hardware and now windows needs to be activated: I upgraded my motherboard, it was a z170 motherboard, and I wanted a more modern one. But now after putting the new one In I have the issue of windows needed to be activated. I really don't know what to do about it....
  5. Told to RE BUY the same windows I've previously bought because I upgraded my PC?!!

Told to RE BUY the same windows I've previously bought because I upgraded my PC?!!: Is this legit? I upgraded my processor this week and since then I've had the "activate windows" message showing up in the corner. I didn't de-activate or transfer the key or whatever before the upgrade. I cant follow the troubleshooting steps to get it reactivated. I just...
  6. Changed my motherboard on my PC now My windows wont activate.

Changed my motherboard on my PC now My windows wont activate.: I've done all the trouble shooting steps and tried linking my Microsoft account none of this has worked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changed-my-motherboard-on-my-pc-now-my-windows/ff9e39b3-a6f4-4b32-afd9-07c373a3d3c2"
  7. Installation is unavailable for Astroneers which I've already bought.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installation is unavailable for Astroneers which I've already bought.: I bought Astroneers on Xbox, now I'm trying to download it on pc. It says I own this game but the install button is grayed out. I just want to play the game I bought.[ATTACH]...
  8. just upgraded my Motherboard and tried to active my windows.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    just upgraded my Motherboard and tried to active my windows.: hey, i recently upgraded my motherboard and installed all the updates, suddenly the windows activation water mark pop up, in order to reactive my windows by troubleshooting some error message pop up , i tried several ways , i followed one guide about sysprep.exe and i got...
  9. I've lost my ram!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I've lost my ram!: When I open the performance tab in task manager I see Hardware Reserved: 137mb. Can I fix that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ive-lost-my-ram/45d9553e-b257-427d-9fe9-2b4c4f0d74f7
  10. I've lost my memory

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I've lost my memory: Well not literally but since upgrading a Dell 755 to w10 (32 bit) I not only have 2.99 available memory out of the 4gb installed. Under W7 I had over 3.5 gig" so what has stolen my memory? Another identical machine running W10 but 64bit has 8 gig installed of which 7.86 is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Computer crashed install new motherboard and cpu now windows needs activated