Windows 10: Upgraded SSD as boot drive and having issues with Windows booting

Discus and support Upgraded SSD as boot drive and having issues with Windows booting in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I purchased a Dell Alienware with a primary 256GB Samsung SSD drive and a 1TB HDD drive. I placed my OS and as little as possible on the C drive and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by elmer25, Jun 23, 2019.

1. elmer25 Win User

Upgraded SSD as boot drive and having issues with Windows booting

I purchased a Dell Alienware with a primary 256GB Samsung SSD drive and a 1TB HDD drive. I placed my OS and as little as possible on the C drive and most everything else on the D drive. I thought this would be sustainable but found I was wrong. I purchased 1TB Samsung SSD drive and added it to the second connection on the laptop. Using Acronis Clone, I cloned the 256GB drive to the new 1TB drive. I booted to the new drive without issue. When I rebooted, I found that Windows was going to the original SSD hard drive by default. When I rebooted, I clicked the F12 key which would allow me to assign the boot drive to the new 1TB drive. Problem is I would have to do this on every boot.

The SSD drive have 6 volumes on them. I went ahead deleted the OS volume on the original SSD hard drive. I thought (well I hoped) this would resolve the issue. When it reboots it goes into an automatic recovery mode. The only way around this is to click F12 to assign the boot to the new 1TB SSD drive.

I want to configure the machine to have the new 1TB SSD drive as the default boot drive.

Problem 2: I am unable to delete the volumes of the original 256 SSD GB drive from the diskmgmt.msc. I would like to delete the volumes and format the drive as a single disk. I am unable to use the diskpart to delete the volumes also. I am cautious on doing this through the diskpart because the names are duplicate between the two SSD drives. I'd hate to remove the wrong volume.

Thank you for any help or advise you may in resolving the boot order and secondarily the formatting of the old SSD drive.

:)

elmer25, Jun 23, 2019
  2. 2BearArmy Win User

Random Disappearing/Reappearing SSD on Boot

Config:

ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3
    OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 480GB SSD
    Corsair 850W PSU
    2x HD 6950 GPU's

My desktop has a 480GB SSD main drive (OS and games), and two secondary HDD's for media storage.

I have had no issues with this SSD, until I tried to add a second video card to my system, and subsequently had to remove it. After a couple re-installs and finally getting the Crossfire to work, I am still in this broken state.

Symptom:

If I put my computer to sleep, restart, power down, it is a complete gamble as to whether or not the system will see the boot drive. What is consistent, is that after a seemingly random interval, it will eventually see the drive and boot straight to windows.

Troubleshooting Steps:

• Reset Bios
    • Removed all other options for bootable devices
    • Re-installed Windows
    • Updated all OS drivers
    • Updated firmware for both the MoBo bios and the SSD.
    • Replaced all SATA cables
    • Moved to another SATA controller port
    • Switched power cables
    • SSDLife came back saying the drive is healthy
    I am literally out of ideas at this point, and the issue is extremely annoying. Sometimes my boot times are 30 seconds (if it sees the drive) sometimes it's 20 minutes (constant reboots until it sees the drive).

Anyone have any other ideas, or have seen this before?

2BearArmy, Jun 23, 2019
  3. Windows 7 booting off wrong drive?!?!?

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder. Nothing else is on the 160GB drive, other than media files etc.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
    I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

speedy11131, Jun 23, 2019
  4. Jborg Win User

windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

http://www.disk-partition.com/kb/tips-ssd-optimization-windows7-1.html

Looks to be similar to this: https://www.back2gaming.com/focus-story/ssd-optimization-for-windows-10-windows-8-and-8-1/

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, Jun 23, 2019
Thema:

1. Upgraded SSD as boot drive and having issues with Windows booting - Similar Threads - Upgraded SSD boot

2. SSD Boot Drive scanning issues.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Boot Drive scanning issues.: Hello, for the last few weeks I've had an issue with my ssd when turning on my pc where it says 'press any button to skip scan' and I have looked into it and used CMD prompts such as;-sfc /scannow-chkdsk-chkdsk c: /f /r probably a few more but I've been at it for hours so I'm...
  3. SSD Boot Drive scanning issues.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD Boot Drive scanning issues.: Hello, for the last few weeks I've had an issue with my ssd when turning on my pc where it says 'press any button to skip scan' and I have looked into it and used CMD prompts such as;-sfc /scannow-chkdsk-chkdsk c: /f /r probably a few more but I've been at it for hours so I'm...
  4. Upgrading boot drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading boot drive: My laptop died. But! I could salvage the ssd, so I figured I would use it for an upgrade of my boot drive in my desktop. Unfortunately it seems my laptop ssd is configured with an MBR rather than GPT configuration, and for some reason the diskpart tool refuses to convert it....
  5. Ssd Boot issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ssd Boot issues: This may be confusing, but I will do my best to explain. I took my ssd from my pc and put it into a laptop. After doing my work on the laptop, I took the ssd back out and put it into my pc. The computer will start up and say remove all disks and other media. I went into the...
  6. Windows 10 not booting after SSD upgrade (other drive)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 not booting after SSD upgrade (other drive): My PC had a 128GB SSD which contained a linux installation. I also had a 1TB HDD installed that contains my Windows 10 LTSC installation. I ran out of space on my linux SSD so I bought a 1TB SSD to replace this. My problem is that when I remove my linux SSD and replace it...
  7. Upgrading Windows 10 PC with an SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading Windows 10 PC with an SSD boot drive: I want to upgrade my desktop computer with a 1TB SSD Drive to increase performance. BUT, I do NOT want to have reinstall EVERYTHING and do it from scratch. I have PC Mover to do that with, but the target SSD drive has to be set up with Windows 10 before I can do the move. As...
  8. SSD BOOT Issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD BOOT Issue: I am having an issue with a Samsung EVO 860 500GB which HD Sentinel flags up a high number of CRC errors which the advice from HD Sentinel was to change the data cable which I have done but the CRC errors continued to increase. Today I changed the data cables again but now...
  9. Extra partitions after SSD boot drive upgrade

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Extra partitions after SSD boot drive upgrade: I upgraded my SSD boot drive from a 128GB to Samsung 850 Pro 256GB. I used the Samsung Migration Tool as instructed. Now I seem to have an new FAT32 100MB partition, a new OTHER 16MB partition, a missing OTHER 128MB partition and a non functioning and I believe much smaller...
  10. Locked SSD and boot issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Locked SSD and boot issues: So my computer froze and I restarted it. and I ran into a bunch of boot issues. In all Scenarios, all fans,case lighting, GPU lights turn on and stay on. -When I reset the PC, it goes to the bios screen and my motherboard Dr. Debug shows A9 ( failure to post). While at...