Windows 10: Upgraded to 10 pro from 8.1 pro, then cloned and it all works

Discus and support Upgraded to 10 pro from 8.1 pro, then cloned and it all works in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I took my 8.1 pro install and did a media tools upgrade from MS and said upgrade this PC, for an optiplex 755 6gb ram, core2duo 2.2ghz etc... Then I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sdowney717, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Upgraded to 10 pro from 8.1 pro, then cloned and it all works

I took my 8.1 pro install and did a media tools upgrade from MS and said upgrade this PC, for an optiplex 755 6gb ram, core2duo 2.2ghz etc...

Then I wanted to clone win10 for a backup, but the machine only has one sata ability being a mini pc. So I took an emachines T3616 with everything different with AMD 64 bit CPU, it redetects hardware and boots fine.

Then I used this and made a copy without resize, Clone disk by using the best partition manager - Partition Wizard
    It had to shut down to do the copy. EaseUS failed the copy, but minitool suceeded!

So I now have two SATA drives, a 250gb, a 500gb, with running and activated win10 pro, and both boot. One drive can backup the other drive. I decided to move on from 8.1, my wife was no fan of the 8 tiles.

I saw no option in EaseUS to clone a drive in use, so since it cant copy files in use, and it was not smart enough to know, it just failed Minitool knew and said it would finish the copy after restarting, and it did.

EaseUS fail

Upgraded to 10 pro from 8.1 pro, then cloned and it all works [​IMG]

Minitool success

Upgraded to 10 pro from 8.1 pro, then cloned and it all works [​IMG]

:)

sdowney717, Aug 19, 2015
  2. NickSteel Win User

My Windows 10 Pro has become "deactivated".

Upgraded the Windows 7 Pro Clone to Windows 10 Pro.

After activation, copied the Windows 10 Pro key.

Switched hard drives with the original bad Windows 10 Pro.

Changed key to the activated Windows 10 Pro key from the clone.

Windows 10 Pro activated on my original drive and kept all my installed software intact.

Convoluted solution, but now everything is as it should have been done in the first place.

Thanks again.

NickSteel, Aug 19, 2015
  3. DanSchell Win User
    Upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro

I would like to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 8.1.

Should I upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 8.1 Pro first then upgrade to Windows 10 Pro?

or

Should I upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 then upgrade to Windows 10 Pro?

Pro's and Con's of each route?

Thanks

DanSchell, Aug 19, 2015
Thema:

Upgraded to 10 pro from 8.1 pro, then cloned and it all works

1. Upgraded to 10 pro from 8.1 pro, then cloned and it all works - Similar Threads - Upgraded pro pro

2. Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to 10/11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to 10/11: I need to finally upgrade to windows 10 or 11. I’m currently on windows 8pro. Completely confused as to how to do this despite reading several articles here and online. I don’t have a product key as it came installed on my VAIO. Please help with step by step instructions....
  3. Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to 10/11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to 10/11: I need to finally upgrade to windows 10 or 11. I’m currently on windows 8pro. Completely confused as to how to do this despite reading several articles here and online. I don’t have a product key as it came installed on my VAIO. Please help with step by step instructions....
  4. Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating: Hi,I have an old Acer laptop which I tried to upgrade to Windows Pro but it won't activate once the upgrade is completed. Below are the steps I followed to complete the upgrade:I created a Windows account which I used throughout the upgrade processes.1. Did a clean install of...
  5. Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating: Hi,I have an old Acer laptop which I tried to upgrade to Windows Pro but it won't activate once the upgrade is completed. Below are the steps I followed to complete the upgrade:I created a Windows account which I used throughout the upgrade processes.1. Did a clean install of...
  6. Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating

7. Windows Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10: I would like to ask if it is possible to upgrade the Windows of my old laptop Dell Inspiron N4050 for my childrens use for online classes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-upgrade-from-windows-8-pro-to-windows-10/3025b42a-4a0e-42d6-add5-d42101c099f4
  8. Windows Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10

Windows Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10: I would like to ask if it is possible to upgrade the Windows of my old laptop Dell Inspiron N4050 for my childrens use for online classes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-upgrade-from-windows-8-pro-to-windows-10/3025b42a-4a0e-42d6-add5-d42101c099f4
  9. windows 8 pro upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 8 pro upgrade: my laptop came with windows 8 pro . what I understand is that windows 8 key is preset in BIOS. But when i upgraded to widnows 10 it upgraded to Home edition. I tried going to " upgrade to windows 10 pro" in microsoft store. but its asking me for key. what should i do....
  10. Using Windows 8 Pro key to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Using Windows 8 Pro key to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Home: Hello, I have 2 laptops, one old(1st) and other new(2nd). The 1st laptop had Windows 7 Home pre-installed which was later upgraded to Windows 8 Pro through Windows 8 Upgrade Offer. This again was upgraded to Windows 10 Home for free. The 2nd PC came with Windows 10 Home...