Windows 10: Upgraded to Win10 from 8.1 and need to re-install OS but no OS disk

Discus and support Upgraded to Win10 from 8.1 and need to re-install OS but no OS disk in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have a Dell XPS 8700 which I upgraded to Win 10 Pro from Win 8.1 Home. The PC did not come with an operating System software disk and I now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by gdimauro, Jun 28, 2017.

1. gdimauro Win User

Upgraded to Win10 from 8.1 and need to re-install OS but no OS disk

Hello,
    I have a Dell XPS 8700 which I upgraded to Win 10 Pro from Win 8.1 Home. The PC did not come with an operating System software disk and I now need to re-install the OS. Is there a preferred way to re-install Windows 10 Professional? Sorry if this is a very common question. Thank you for your help.

:)

gdimauro, Jun 28, 2017
  2. BossDweeb Win User

Windows 10 product key

You jumped the gun I'm afraid. The 'free' Win10 'upgrades' have to first be done from your Win7/8/8.1 OS,

so the product key from that can be used to activate Win10.

Once this is done you can reinstall Win10 clean if need be.

If you have an install disk (or download ?) you can start again from scratch with Win8.1.

Reactivate that again with it's original product key and then do the Win10 'upgrade' .

(Any install disk of the same version - 32 or 64bit - will work. The product key is what's important.)

BossDweeb, Jun 28, 2017
  3. Hard disk crash requires re-install of Win10 from free Win7 upgrade. How?

My desk top recently had its hard disk crash. I had updated my original Win7 Home Premium OS to Win10 as part of the free upgrade offer. I now have a new hard disk that I will install Win10 on but I'm not sure how I am supposed to re-activate it? The only
    thing I have is the original Win7 product key from the desk top. Do I need to go back to Win7 first?

JamesBeneke, Jun 28, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Which version do you need to install, 8.1 or 10? If you use the Dell-provided factory restore you'll get Win8 or 8.1. If you want Win10 you might want to look at Win10 recovery options in Settings, Update & Security.

Berton, Jun 28, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    Samuria, Jun 28, 2017
  6. gdimauro Win User
    Hi Berton, I want Win 10 so i'll look in the Settings, Update and Security. Thanks for your help.
    Hi Samuria, I will follow that link to download Windows 10. I was wondering, if I do a full clean new installation, will I have trouble proving I purchased this system with a legitimate copy of windows? Like, will my license key be available within the new installation? Thanks again to both of you.

gdimauro, Jun 28, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    If you have been signing in with a ms account you activation is on MS server and you can skip putting a key in it will activate as you sign in

Samuria, Jun 28, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums @gdimauro

Actually, even if you haven't signed in with a MS account the upgrade would have recorded a digital licence on the activation servers tied to the hardware of your PC. You can still skip entering a key and it will activate.

Download the Media Creation Tool from the Download Windows 10 Samuria gave you. Run it and choose the 'Make media for another PC' option. Chose the USB option to make a bootable USB that can then be used to do a clean install.

9. gdimauro Win User
    Samuria, thank you so much for that. Ok, I think I'm good to go. Many thanks to all.
    Regards,

gdimauro, Jun 28, 2017
  10. AddRAM Win User
  11. cereberus Win User
    It is irrelevant if using MS account or local account. Use of MS account only applies if it fails to activate in event of a hardware change.

cereberus, Jun 28, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    Problem is it may install Home instead of pro if 8.1 key is bios embedded.

You can go to MS Store and enter 10 key to upgrade from Home to PRO.

cereberus, Jun 28, 2017
  13. gdimauro Win User

AddRAM and Cerebeus,
    Thank you both for your help. I hope to get to doing it this weekend. Happy 4th!

gdimauro, Jun 30, 2017
  14. gdimauro Win User
    Bree,

I missed your post the first time. I just saw it now. Thank you for your help with this. I will post the results when i get it done.
    Happy 4th!!!

gdimauro, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgraded to Win10 from 8.1 and need to re-install OS but no OS disk - Similar Threads - Upgraded Win10 need

2. Cannot find OS partitions for disk 1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot find OS partitions for disk 1: Hello,When i'm tring to change MBR to GPT with this command: mbr2gpt /validate /disk:1 /allowFullOSi'm getting the error: Cannot find OS partitions for disk 1CMD:https://i.imgur.com/5loje8y.pngsetuperr.log:https://i.imgur.com/uwxEzxT.pngDisk...
  3. Cannot find OS partitions for disk 1

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot find OS partitions for disk 1: Hello,When i'm tring to change MBR to GPT with this command: mbr2gpt /validate /disk:1 /allowFullOSi'm getting the error: Cannot find OS partitions for disk 1CMD:https://i.imgur.com/5loje8y.pngsetuperr.log:https://i.imgur.com/uwxEzxT.pngDisk...
  4. Whats the difference between reset OS from factory settings and re-install OS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Whats the difference between reset OS from factory settings and re-install OS?: How to do either? Im not seeing any option to choose one them! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-the-difference-between-reset-os-from-factory/ed6b489f-8404-4027-8285-e9882223abda
  5. Whats the difference between reset OS from factory settings and re-install OS?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Whats the difference between reset OS from factory settings and re-install OS?: How to do either? Im not seeing any option to choose one them! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-the-difference-between-reset-os-from-factory/ed6b489f-8404-4027-8285-e9882223abda
  6. Whats the difference between reset OS from factory settings and re-install OS?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. MDT to re-install OS directly

MDT to re-install OS directly: Dear All, We have MDT ready and running smoothly, there is no problem to install OS via network PXE boot option. However, we came across an issue to re-install OS via Litetouch vbs as mentioned at...
  8. Laptop Preinstalled 8.1 upgraded to win10, need to reinstall os.

Laptop Preinstalled 8.1 upgraded to win10, need to reinstall os.: Hello. I am trying to recycle a laptop to my nephew and wanted a clean/fresh install. It was originally a win8.1 then upgraded to win10. Ive tried unsucessfully to reinstall windows 10 using a flash drive created with the win10 tool. But I keep getting an error about corrupt...
  9. Re-Installation of Original OS

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Re-Installation of Original OS: I bought Windows 10 pro original OS and installed in my computer recently I am facing some problems. So that I wanted to re-install the OS. I lost my original CD but I have Product ID 00330-71312-22123-AAOEM. Can I use the same product ID for the re-installation in the same...
  10. win10 os

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    win10 os: *sarc I am using win10 10586 and would like to know if this is the latest on the slow ring. 50534