Windows 10: Upgraded to Win10 in old HDD - Now want to do clean install in new SSD

Discus and support Upgraded to Win10 in old HDD - Now want to do clean install in new SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi All, I successfully upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 (both Pro 64-bit) in PC's old HDD. Now I want do a clean install on a brand new SSD. I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tamzeed, Jul 31, 2015.

1. tamzeed Win User

Upgraded to Win10 in old HDD - Now want to do clean install in new SSD

Hi All,

I successfully upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 (both Pro 64-bit) in PC's old HDD. Now I want do a clean install on a brand new SSD. I have a few questions before I buy the SSD.

1. First off, is it possible to do a clean install of Win 10 in the new SSD especially after I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 in the old HDD?

2. If 1 is possible, then at any point do I need to enter the Win 10 license key? I have used a Win 10 license key viewing tool to find out what it is.

3. Should I use the Win 10 Media Creation tool to create the ISO or just download an untouched Win 10 Pro 64 bit ISO, burn it to a DVD and do a straightforward install?

3. What happens to the Win 10 in the old HDD? Does it get deactivated on its own?

Thanks!

:)

tamzeed, Jul 31, 2015

2. Upgraded to Win10 in old HDD - Now want to do clean install in new SSD

1-Yes (After upgrading)

2-there is not direct ISO so you have to use the media creation tool

3-There should be no need for a key simply skip the step where it asks for one.

4-No the old win 10 does not get "deactivated" on its own

Good Luck

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jul 31, 2015
  3. Joythar K Win User

Hi Tamzed,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and your interest in Windows 10. We understand your concern. We are happy to help and will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Joythar K, Jul 31, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes, create ISO
    3. (S/B 4.) Nothing. You can probably boot either and it will work but legally you should only use theone on teh SSD when ready.

Ztruker, Jul 31, 2015
  5. I'm not sure that Win 10 key you found is useful. It's likely a generic key and NOT a unique key and not needed from here on out.

You could try to do the clean to the SSD while the HDD is still installed. I don't know how that will work out.

But--worst case scenario: you should be able to clone or image the existing Win 10 upgrade install on the HDD to the SSD using something like Macrium or maybe the cloning software included with the SSD and then do a clean directly from the SSD, with the HDD disconnected.

Re question 3: I assume either would work, as long as you create a bootable DVD when you burn the downloaded ISO.

ignatzatsonic, Jul 31, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    All Win 10 upgrade keys are the same - generic. You will not have to enter a key when you do a clean install. If it asks you for one then you are trying to install a version different that you upgraded to.

Ztruker, Jul 31, 2015
  7. tamzeed Win User
    Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

So even though the upgrade key is generic, when I remove the existing HDD and attach the new SSD and boot the PC, wont MS just think that I am just trying to intall a new Win 10 Pro OS on a new SSD drive by using the generic key? In other words, will they think I am doing something illegal since I will be having 2 drives (HDD & SSD) with Win 10 Pro?

Thanks.

tamzeed, Aug 1, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

You are not legally allowed to have the free Windows 10 upgrade installed more than once on a system. If you clean install to the SSD then you should remove the HDD with Win 10 on it.

How or if MS tracks this I have no idea.

Ztruker, Aug 1, 2015
  9. tamzeed Win User
    So it seems I won't be able to do a clean install on an new SSD even if I remove Win 10 from old HDD..

Only solution I was given is cloning or imging the Win 10 install drive from old HDD to the new SSD. But that is not also tried and tested.

tamzeed, Aug 1, 2015
  10. Climo Win User
    I may be wrong but I believe they said it could be possible to use the new SSD so long you remove the old hdd first. From what I been reading the validation key is tied to the motherboard not hdd. Since you already activated you would just skip over the screen about entering the product key when installing onto the new SSD. I would give it a try, worst case just reinsert you're old hdd and be back up and running. I was thinking about doing the same thing, upgrading on existing hdd then clean install on a new SSD. Let us know if it works!

Climo, Aug 1, 2015
  11. Ztruker Win User
    You can clean install to the SSD, just disconnect the HDD. Once the SSD is done and activated reconnect the HDD, copy whatever you want off it then format it and use as a data disk.

When you upgrade from 7 or 8.1 to 10 you are giving that key up for as long as you have Windows 10 installed. If you remove Windows 10 you can reinstall or re-image the original OS and it will remain activated.

Ztruker, Aug 1, 2015
  12. tamzeed Win User
    Hi Ztrucker, thanks for the advice. Just one question, when you say "You can clean install to the SSD, just disconnect the HDD." how will Win 10 be activated? should I be connected to the internet during the install or do an offline install?

Thanks!

tamzeed, Aug 1, 2015
  13. elbmek Win User

I've seen mention of a key a few times, when I get the go ahead from MS, will the key be included in the email?

elbmek, Aug 1, 2015
  14. When you do the free upgrade from within your old OS, it ties the key to your motherboard, at least from newer UEFI 8.1 PC's.

Maltesespace, Aug 1, 2015
  15. elbmek Win User
    ok thanks. I have official os versions so should not be a problem.

I have a hybrid HDD and an HDD in mine.

elbmek, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgraded to Win10 in old HDD - Now want to do clean install in new SSD - Similar Threads - Upgraded Win10 old

2. Clean install win10 on ssd and formating old hdd?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install win10 on ssd and formating old hdd?: Hey fellow redditors! For the first time ever I will get myself a gaming pc, my brothers old pc. It has an HDD with Windows 10 and other stuff. I am planning to clean install the Windows on the SSD and remove/blank the HDD. I know how to install the Windows on the SSD. But...
  3. Clean install but upgrade from hdd to ssd.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install but upgrade from hdd to ssd.: current setup: hdd running 1903 primary boot target: 1909 upgrade/clean install on ssd then primary boot 1903 still bootable on hdd secondary/backup boot in case of failures of any kind. how would i manage that without an optical which is being replaced by a tray caddy...
  4. Upgrade to Win10 on new SSD, keep old Win7 on HDD

Upgrade to Win10 on new SSD, keep old Win7 on HDD: Hi all, I am currently running OEM Windows 7 on a HDD, and want to take advantage of the "free" upgrade to Windows 10 (I know it expired in 2016, but I read that you can still do it). Problem is, I have some programs that I still use that I don't have the keys for, so I'd...
  5. Do I Want Clean Install Or Upgrade?

Do I Want Clean Install Or Upgrade?: I want neither. I want a fix. I downloaded and put on USB that Microsoft thing designed for when you've got a BSOD or that BCD thing - when you're computer is in dire need of help. Lucky I did. Come home today and my computer is sitting there with a blue screen asking me...
  6. Do I Want Clean Install Or Upgrade?

in Windows 10 Support
    Do I Want Clean Install Or Upgrade?: I want neither. I want a fix. I downloaded and put on USB that Microsoft thing designed for when you've got a BSOD or that BCD thing - when you're computer is in dire need of help. Lucky I did. Come home today and my computer is sitting there with a blue screen asking me...
  7. Upgrade to Win10 followed by clean install to a new SSD?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade to Win10 followed by clean install to a new SSD?: I have duly upgraded my Windows 7 desktop to Windows 10 and it is shown as 'Activated': I have also downloaded the Windows 10 ISO file and saved that to a DVD: I now want to change my boot HDD to an SSD. Would the following method make sense? 1. Install the SSD and clone my...
  8. Clean Install on New SSD without installing upgrade

Clean Install on New SSD without installing upgrade: I have reserved my copy of Win 10 (upgrade from Win7 Pro 32bit retail) , but i plan to fit a SSD and instill the 64bit version of Win 10. does windows 10 need to be upgrade installed first so Win 10 recognizes my hardware or can i download the ISO and do a clean install...
  9. Clean Win10 install on New SSD- formatting errors

Clean Win10 install on New SSD- formatting errors: Hi all, Operator skill level- medium - its been 4.5 years since my last build, zero experience installing Win8 or Win10 Brand new Clean install from full WIndows 10 USB3.0 retail package Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P motherboard AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 16 Gig...
  10. Can I upgrade and then clean install with a new HDD?

Can I upgrade and then clean install with a new HDD?: Hi all, I'm finally thinking to upgrade from W7 to W10. Here's the situation at the moment: 1) 256GB System SSD 2) 1TB data HDD 3) 3TB Raid 1 HDD for backup I want to mount a new 500GB SSD as primary system drive, so I was thinking to use this occasion to put W10...