Windows 10: Upgraded to Windows 10 but having issues creating new Family user

Discus and support Upgraded to Windows 10 but having issues creating new Family user in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi, my first post so I hope I'm in the correct place. I have an HP Envy Laptop, I was running 8.1 and went for the free upgrade to 10 Home. All went... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Jad, Sep 15, 2015.

1. JAD
    Jad Win User

Upgraded to Windows 10 but having issues creating new Family user

Hi, my first post so I hope I'm in the correct place. I have an HP Envy Laptop, I was running 8.1 and went for the free upgrade to 10 Home. All went well, (extremely well surprisingly) and everything worked OK. Even an old copy of Quicken 2004 worked without a glitch. I then tried to create a new Family (Adult) user with administrator rights. At first I kept getting the error "User profile failed the sign-in". I read up on this and eventually got hold of a "default" folder and copied this into my USER folder replacing the original. (saved with defaultOLD). Eventually my new user account created, it took along time, message came up "taking longer than normal etc" but eventually it worked. Well not quite! a desktop comes up with a few app icons but the Start menu will not work, there is no Cortana and no Edge, I can start Chrome or Firefox but no Edge. In fact the only way round the desktop is through WINKey-R and then type what I want. Right click on the task bar gives me Task Manager as well. to shut down or switch accounts I use ctrl-alt-del.
    I read that I should do a refresh or reset, but I don't really want to reinstall my software and I'm not sure where I can get the HP Drivers and applications.
    Is my "default" folder still corrupted and/or is there something else I can do.
    Thanks for any help.

:)

2. Create User Accounts in Win10

Creating a new account to resolve the Critical error issue is not a fix. The error comes back after a while in the new account.

PerlaArquieta, Sep 15, 2015
  3. Create User Accounts in Win10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.
    Sorry to know that you facing this issue. And any inconvenience faced is regretted.

The email that you have received is because of Family safety. After a user account gets added in family safety then an invitation is send to a receiver. That is the reason why you have received an email.

Refer the link given below :

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/set-up-family-after-upgrade

I suggest you to try these steps to create a new user account
    and check if it fixes the issue.

Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

1. Go to Settings.

2. Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.

3. Select Add an Account.

4. Enter a user name and hit Next.

5. Click on Finish.

6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.

7. Check if issue persists.

You can also refer the below article to create a new user account in Windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-microsoft-account

Let us know if this helps.

Keep us posted for further assistance.

Akheel Ahmed, Sep 15, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Sep 15, 2015
  5. JAD
    Jad Win User
  6. JAD
    Jad Win User
    I tried the in-place upgrade and ended up with my original version. First the PC said it would keep restarting when it only tried once. It took forever with the circular timer kept going on for nearly twenty minutes. I did a hard shut down and then start and everything seemed OK as the install kept going. However about 60% of the way through it jumped back to "recovering to original version". Not sure why.
    Should I be stopping my anti-virus, what about UAC and when should I pull the Memory stick out of the USB drive. Is there anything else I should do/know. Cheers for any help. I'll give it another try tonight.

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can try this repair. Run it from an elevated command prompt ("Run as administrator" command prompt):
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wimUpgraded to Windows 10 but having issues creating new Family user :D:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

You should run the command with your Windows 10 installation USB stick inserted and the D:\ should point to the correct drive letter for the USB stick. This will check your current files system against what was originally install and correct any corruptions. Not sure if it will actually check the default user profile or not, though. It will take some time to run and look like it isn't doing anything for a while. If it gives you an immediate error when running, try leaving the /limitaccess off the end.

NavyLCDR, Sep 16, 2015
  8. JAD
    Jad Win User

Hi again, thanks for the suggestion. Can I please clarify one thing. I created the USB by using the download from Microsoft. It produced the files for an in-place upgrade (I think) with a Set-up exe, Is this the USB that I will use in your command line prompt above.
    If so I'll give that a try today. Thanks

9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes, that would be the one!

NavyLCDR, Sep 17, 2015
  10. JAD
    Jad Win User
    Well it seems to be working now. Thanks for your suggestions NavyLCDR. I did what you suggested with the command line prompt. It completed with 100% success but alas did not actually fix the problem. The family user account was still useless. However, I decided to run the Setup.exe from the memory stick (In-place upgrade) and this time it completed without reverting back to the previous version of windows 10. I have a feeling that if I hadn't completed the command that you gave me it would have failed again. I think that process actually cleaned up system files that maybe were corrupt. When I then initiated the new user account it worked and everything seems great. In fact the whole PC op sys seems to be working much faster. So many thanks for your help it is much appreciated.
    Cheers

Thema:

1. Upgraded to Windows 10 but having issues creating new Family user - Similar Threads - Upgraded having issues

2. Issue with creating family grup on MS

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Issue with creating family grup on MS: I am trying to set up my family group on Microsoft Family Safety.For those purposes I am using my local account where I am logged as admin and parent/guardian of the children.All my kids have already created MS accounts as child.All what I have to do is just to invite them to...
  3. Issues With Creating a Family Group

Issues With Creating a Family Group: So I've been having issues creating a family group and every time I try to invite someone it keeps on popping up a message saying "it's not you, it's us." This started happening just after I deleted the family group I've already had. I've even tried inviting myself to a...
  4. create a new user in window 10, but this happen.

in Windows 10 Customization
    create a new user in window 10, but this happen.: i try to create a new user for my computer, so i get into control panel. user account, manage another account, creat a new user and this window pop up, i dont know what it is and i cant creat a new user or my computer. [ATTACH]...
  5. Creating a new user on WIndows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Creating a new user on WIndows 10: Can someone signpost me to some decent instructions on how to create new users on my laptop using an email address. I tried to do it yesterday and I can indeed log into it from the lock screen but I seem to have created two top level folders called ngwil and...
  6. upgraded Windows 10 various problems creating new users

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    upgraded Windows 10 various problems creating new users: I finally accepted the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on an old computer. That went really well, so I created some Microsoft accounts for the other users, planning to add them. But, there's a few problems. When I add the new Microsoft accounts, it silently fails....
  7. Windows 10 update created a new user

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update created a new user: A few weeks ago the Windows 10 Automatic update created a new user profile on my PC. I was previously, "Paul" and the new profile is called "Paul.000". Almost every file has been moved to the new profile. I have had quite a few problems associated with this. Is Windows going...
  8. Windows 10 update created a new user.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update created a new user.: I cant remember which specific windows update it was, but it created a identical user. The password is different to my main account, and windows always wants to load into that account instead of mine, saying that the username or password is incorrect. This is getting...
  9. Can't Create A New User Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't Create A New User Windows 10.: Whenever I try to create a new user in the windows settings, I get a popup that says that I need to choose an app to open this in, when I select yes, nothing happens, when I press no, the popup goes away. I have no idea what to do....
  10. User account and family issues

User account and family issues: This is happening loads on my new laptop. Family settings down and Cortana summary screen just spinning. Is this an MS side issue as the machine is doing this more often than not. Sometimes everything is fine but I just don't understand it really. Yesterday evening everything...