Windows 10: Upgraded to Windows 10, but Windows 10 isn’t Activated after a reinstall

Discus and support Upgraded to Windows 10, but Windows 10 isn’t Activated after a reinstall in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] When Microsoft rolled out Windows 10, they offered a free upgrade to many from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. This worked for those who had a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Nov 9, 2018.

1. WinClub New Member

Upgraded to Windows 10, but Windows 10 isn’t Activated after a reinstall

WinClub, Nov 9, 2018
  2. JebusPrime Win User

How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, Nov 9, 2018
  3. theoneandonlymrk Win User
    How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Your ild keys should work but if you registered the key to your online ms persona (email address) it should be tied to your account , install without a key login with your credentials , then activate.

theoneandonlymrk, Nov 9, 2018
  4. Drone Win User

Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

Like Pill Monster said no more Windows 10 keys for Insiders. It was on Microsoft Blog they said that all that stuff is tied to one machine. You can upgrade anytime but never make a clean install. Those people who upgraded from 7 or 8.1 to 10 can do a clean install of RTM and post-RTM builds. A friend of mine upgraded from RTM to 10533 or whatever the latest post-RTM build is (and it activated just fine).

After all MS isn't stupid to give Windows 10 for free.

Drone, Nov 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgraded to Windows 10, but Windows 10 isn’t Activated after a reinstall - Similar Threads - Upgraded isn’t Activated

2. Reinstall Windows 10 after upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall Windows 10 after upgrade: I used to have Win 7 and it was upgraded to Wİndows 10 for free previously. Now I'm going to upgrade some of my hardware, install a new pair of RAM and add an SDD. Therefore I need to reinstall windows 10 for the upgraded PC but I do not have a KEY for Windows 10 as it was...
  3. WIndows 10 activation after motherboard upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    WIndows 10 activation after motherboard upgrade: Hi, I have just upgraded my motherboard and have to re-activate windows. When I select the device via the troubleshooter I get the message that I can't reactivate. Looking at my Microsoft account I can see that the machine is listed twice (once for each motherboard). Do I...
  4. Windows 10 Free upgrade, Now reinstalling with Windows 7 Activation key

Windows 10 Free upgrade, Now reinstalling with Windows 7 Activation key: I bought windows 7, years ago and upgraded FOR FREE to windows 10 now. I need to reinstall windows on a new SSD and transfer everything over BUT I will only do a clean install no exceptions. So will my activation code still work for windows 10 I download it?...
  5. Cannot run or reinstall Fidelity Active Trader Pro after Windows 10 upgrade

Cannot run or reinstall Fidelity Active Trader Pro after Windows 10 upgrade: Our computers at work upgraded to Windows 10 on Friday of last week but my Fidelity Active Trader Pro which was already installed, refused to open. No errors, just nothing. So I thought I would uninstall and reinstall. When I try to run the setup.exe file it has a quick...
  6. Cant activate Win 10 after a reinstall

Cant activate Win 10 after a reinstall: The question yields not the pc I'm on now. Another pc had problems with running some games I like, Microsoft games. It came up "gathering exception data" often when launchin the game or during gaming. After reinstall I got new features but also I was told to activate...
  7. Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1: hello, i just upgraded my original Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, and when i try to activate it, Windows gives me an error [img] "Windows cannot be activated, please try again later" How can i solve this? 9428
  8. Windows 10 Auto Activation after RAM Upgrade

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Auto Activation after RAM Upgrade: first of all i apologize if i am putting this in wrong section. I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 on Dell XPS 15 L502x(Sandy Bridge). Later i did a fresh install and Windows 10 activated automatically as it should. Now, i am replacing/upgrading RAM. i want to know...
  9. Reinstall Windows 8 after 10 upgrade

Reinstall Windows 8 after 10 upgrade: I am trying to remember.. After a machine has been upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8, let us say a year later, will the license key allow you to download, create a Windows 8 iso and reinstall that. Someone has a Surface Pro 2 (I think thats what it is) that was...
  10. Windows 10 will not activate after upgrade / clean install?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 will not activate after upgrade / clean install?: Hey Guys I upgraded from 8.1 (genuine Sony Vaio ) using the media creation upgrade option, it installed and activated to windows 10 pro. I then used the same media creation tool to download the iso and used Rufus to put it onto a usb so that I could do a clean install....