Windows 10: Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, everything fine until restart, and now desktop files...

Discus and support Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, everything fine until restart, and now desktop files... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So today I decided to upgrade my PC to Windows 10 from Windows 7 using the upgrade tool. The update went smoothly, and after booting into Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DaneCross, Aug 4, 2019.

1. DaneCross Win User

Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, everything fine until restart, and now desktop files...

So today I decided to upgrade my PC to Windows 10 from Windows 7 using the upgrade tool. The update went smoothly, and after booting into Windows 10 the first time I went ahead and started getting everything squared away.

I moved some VERY important folders onto the desktop for (what I thought) was safe keeping. After getting all of my settings worked out, new files in place, etc. I decided to restart the computer.

I knew right away something was up. When it booted, the computer went to the login screen as usual, but my background was gone and was now just a solid blue. After logging in normally, Windows took WAYY to long loading to the desktop. And once it did, all of my personalization was gone, my desktop background was solid black, and a very large portion of the icons that were on my desktop were no longer there. And worst of all, my precious folders were gone as well.

I searched the rest of the PC in case they were moved or something, but theyre definitley gone. I dont have a restore point since I didnt set that up before windows did this.

Overall, im devastated by the loss of the files and cant find them. My hard drive is perfectly fine, and windows didnt seem corrupted.

Should I get my drive recovered or something? Or what do I do?

thanks in advance for any help

:)

DaneCross, Aug 4, 2019
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Aug 4, 2019
  3. Mussels Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Aug 4, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, everything fine until restart, and now desktop files...

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 4, 2019
Thema:

1. Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, everything fine until restart, and now desktop files... - Similar Threads - Upgraded everything fine

2. can i upgrade from windows 7 to 10 without losing everything on my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can i upgrade from windows 7 to 10 without losing everything on my desktop: I want to upgrade my desktop from windows 7 to 10 but I don't want to lose everything on my computer like pictures and videos and music and google favorites. Is this possible to do?...
  3. can i upgrade from windows 7 to 10 without losing everything on my desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can i upgrade from windows 7 to 10 without losing everything on my desktop: I want to upgrade my desktop from windows 7 to 10 but I don't want to lose everything on my computer like pictures and videos and music and google favorites. Is this possible to do?...
  4. I just upgraded my laptop from windows 7 to windows 10 and everything works fine except the...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I just upgraded my laptop from windows 7 to windows 10 and everything works fine except the...: I just upgraded my laptop from windows 7 to windows 10 and everything works fine except the speakers,I checked the device manager for any problem in speakers but it says "This device is working properly" and it even beeps when I enter BIOS.And now I have no sound :...
  5. I just upgraded my laptop from windows 7 to windows 10 and everything works fine except the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I just upgraded my laptop from windows 7 to windows 10 and everything works fine except the...: I just upgraded my laptop from windows 7 to windows 10 and everything works fine except the speakers,I checked the device manager for any problem in speakers but it says "This device is working properly" and it even beeps when I enter BIOS.And now I have no sound :...
  6. I just upgraded my laptop from windows 7 to windows 10 and everything works fine except the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Completed Upgrade From Windows 7 to 10 - Now No Sound

Completed Upgrade From Windows 7 to 10 - Now No Sound: Tried uninstalling drivers. System says the 'best drivers for your system are installed. I don't even get the tones when I do the speaker test....
  8. Today I upgraded my PC from windows 7 to windows 10. Everything works fine but the wifi and...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Today I upgraded my PC from windows 7 to windows 10. Everything works fine but the wifi and...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Archit299792458 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fztqxy/today_i_upgraded_my_pc_from_windows_7_to_windows/
  9. Upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, and now .mp4 files don't work.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, and now .mp4 files don't work.: As the title says I upgraded from 7 to 10 recently, and now programs seemingly are unable to access mp4 files. Firefox and Edge won't play them, and certain video elements in a few different games just show up as black because these files are unable to be accessed. Windows...
  10. Upgraded from Windows 7 to windows 10 yesterday. Now I have no sound. I've tried everything...

Upgraded from Windows 7 to windows 10 yesterday. Now I have no sound. I've tried everything...: Upgraded from Windows 7 to windows 10 yesterday. Now I have no sound. I've tried everything suggested with no luck. Please help... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgraded-from-windows-7-to-windows-10-yesterday/24e02233-6f44-4cbf-9115-ddbdcf08acf5

Users found this page by searching for:

1. upgraded an hp desktop to windows - on boot it searches for windows 7