Windows 10: Upgraded to Windows 10, Monitor turns off after 1-3 minutes.

Discus and support Upgraded to Windows 10, Monitor turns off after 1-3 minutes. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Upgraded to Windows 10 when I went to bad last night. I wake up to the computer beeping, 3 beeps at a time, nothing on screen. I decide to keep... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kiflaam, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Kiflaam Win User

Upgraded to Windows 10, Monitor turns off after 1-3 minutes.

Upgraded to Windows 10 when I went to bad last night. I wake up to the computer beeping, 3 beeps at a time, nothing on screen. I decide to keep waiting, just in case. After many hours, I try anything to get it to react, but finally decide to force shutdown. Then, after startup, I see the windows 10 logo and a spinning circle thingy, and eventually the screen goes out. I wait a while at this point. Eventually, after about half and hour, I force reset it again. This continues a few times and finally I see a login to finalize the upgrade. The screen goes out again, can't get it back on, and I wait then force restart. Eventually, I am able to get to the desktop. I login to my account (it shuts off the screen again, but I get back here), and find I can't open the start menu, can't use the search bar. I am now trying to restore my computer back to windows 7. I have tried both video cards on my computer, but it seems to randomly shutdown the video after a random amount of time, usually after a minimum of 1 minute. I've had it on for like 5 minutes one time. Also notable, the fan inside is spinning the fastest it can, the whole time, from startup til the monitor goes out. Please let me know what I can do to restore the computer to Windows 7, and keep my data, as most of it isn't mine. I am in big trouble for upgrading without permission.

:)

Kiflaam, Jul 28, 2015

2. Monitor turns off and on between 1-5 minutes after log in-Windows 10

As a "temporary solution" i need to turn on my monitor after 10 minutes(just to be sure) right after startup.Hope Microsoft will solve this problem soon.

Mihai_0987654321, Jul 28, 2015
  3. Monitor turns off and on between 1-5 minutes after log in-Windows 10

I will try this tomorrow, im not home at the moment.Thanks!

Mihai_0987654321, Jul 28, 2015
  4. Nomanativ Win User

I had this exact problem. I think there is a bug with display drivers. My friends who use Nvidia gaming cards had the same problem, so I dont know if it is just Nvidia or if its all? My laptop works fine with windows ten but the pc i game with constantly shuts the monitor down. So i fixed the problem by reverting back to my original windows 7.

Nomanativ, Aug 6, 2015
  5. mfaklis Win User
  6. Nomanativ Win User
    Nomanativ, Oct 29, 2015
  7. mmcma17 Win User
    I had the same problem and I figured out an easier fix. select all your power setting that you want. then I went into screen saver menu, mine was set to blank. I selected another one then reselected blank and click apply. That is all it took. Your welcome.

mmcma17, Dec 19, 2015
  8. mmcma17 Win User

oh and by the way, my power settings, on battery and plugged in, were set to 15 minutes each, I switched them to 30. after that do screen saver, and apply settings. it should work. I was also on windows 7 and was upgraded to 10. forgot to add that info.

mmcma17, Dec 19, 2015
  9. Aurora23 Win User
    mmcma17, toggling the screen saver worked! It was at 'none', I put it to an actual screen saver and applied it. Toggled it back to 'none' and applied it and the monitor stays on now longer than 3 minutes(I timed it.) I did change it to a 'themed' background since and it stays up. This is a new Windows 10 laptop turned desktop. Loosing the monitor every 3 minutes was annoying! Hey Thanks!

Aurora23, Dec 20, 2015
  10. mmcma17 Win User
    That's awesome. Glad I could help. It seems to be once you upgrade, the Screensaver is on but the menu is off. Switching on and off must reset the issue in registry or whatever.

mmcma17, Dec 20, 2015
  11. Aurora23 Win User
    Ugh....My laptop is brand new(3 days out of the box) and mmcma17's info worked for me yesterday. Last night before going to bed I shut it down(something I don't normally do but once a week). Powered it up this morning and I am back to the screen going to sleep after 3 minutes. Have gone back and followed every step but can't get it to stay up again?? I tried all the toggles from another thread here without luck too. Came back to this thread, restored power defaults and toggled the screen saver. Can not duplicate my good luck from yesterday. It keeps timing out on me after 3 minutes. With a restored power register and simple screen saver toggles, I should be able have the same results from yesterday....why is it not working?? This is a new laptop that I put a monitor, mouse and keyboard to. Going to run the laptop by itself and see if the actual laptop screen times out. Will not even try the registery fix, which no one should have to do anyway and doesn't seem to help a lot of people.<< That's crazy! Please Windows, don't make me have to take this back and go to something different.

Aurora23, Dec 21, 2015
  12. Aurora23 Win User
    I removed all periphials from the laptop and the screen still times out and goes to sleep every 2-3 minutes with no activity. Can not duplicate the good results from the other day. I was reading other posts and someone mentioned the screen goes to sleep like a phone goes to sleep when there's no activity. Sure hope they get an update fix for this soon. Will keep looking for a fix but going to take the laptop back before warranty time out and wait sometime before buying again. I have my trusty Window 7 laptop to go back to. Thanks for all your help here.

Aurora23, Dec 23, 2015
  13. milvike Win User

Yes i agree, that post was something else. However idu why windows would make it so hard for that option to appear.

milvike, Dec 31, 2015
  14. pylyshyn Win User
    I have the screen blackout problem, only worse than those described here. The screen goes black after about 3 seconds and I have to move my cursor -- over and over this continues. Eventually the on-time gradually increases but until then I can't do anything with my computer because it is so distracting. The turnoff time is set to 15 minutes and sleep time set to Never. I tried everything recommended on this web site with no solution. (Windows Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063)

pylyshyn, Oct 27, 2017
  15. mfaklis Win User
    Build 1506 is about two updates back in time. You need to keep up with updates from Microsoft Update. I believe I posted the fix two years ago in this very thread 0n 29 October 2015.

mfaklis, Oct 27, 2017
Thema:

1. Upgraded to Windows 10, Monitor turns off after 1-3 minutes. - Similar Threads - Upgraded Monitor turns

2. Monitor turns off and on with no display after upgrade.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor turns off and on with no display after upgrade.: Computer case - Focus G MiniMonitor - Optix G24C4 CPU - Intel Core i7-12700KFCPU Fan - Artic Alpine 17Storage- Silicon Power Ace A55 M.2Power Supply - Antec Gold 500wGraphics Card - AMD Radeon RX 6600 XTMotherboard - MSI MAG B660M MortarMemory Modules - XPG DDR4 8gb x 2I...
  3. Monitor turns off and on with no display after upgrade.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor turns off and on with no display after upgrade.: Computer case - Focus G MiniMonitor - Optix G24C4 CPU - Intel Core i7-12700KFCPU Fan - Artic Alpine 17Storage- Silicon Power Ace A55 M.2Power Supply - Antec Gold 500wGraphics Card - AMD Radeon RX 6600 XTMotherboard - MSI MAG B660M MortarMemory Modules - XPG DDR4 8gb x 2I...
  4. Screen turns off after 1 minute

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Screen turns off after 1 minute: I set my time after screen turns off to 5 minutes, but it keeps turning off and locking after 1 minute of inactivity. The weird thing is I tried setting screen saver to 2 minutes and then turned screen saver off and then the screen turned off after 2 minutes, but when I...
  5. Screen turns off after 1 minute

Screen turns off after 1 minute: I set my time after screen turns off to 5 minutes, but it keeps turning off and locking after 1 minute of inactivity. The weird thing is I tried setting screen saver to 2 minutes and then turned screen saver off and then the screen turned off after 2 minutes, but when I...
  6. Laptop takes 3 minutes to turn off after the screen is turned off.

Laptop takes 3 minutes to turn off after the screen is turned off.: Hello. I have a HP 15s-eq0005nv laptop. Since I bought this laptop 9 months ago, every time I get an update something goes wrong and "breaks". Recently I have been having a huge problem with this laptop. When I click to shut down my laptop the screen turns off normally, but...
  7. monitor turns off after (about 10 minutes)

in Windows 10 Support
    monitor turns off after (about 10 minutes): I have tried to figure out why my monitor turns itself off after (about) 10 minutes, and can't figure out why it is doing it. When the monitor goes off I have absolutely no control. The only thing I can do is turn off the computer and power it back up. Monitor turns...
  8. monitor turns off after (about 10 minutes)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    monitor turns off after (about 10 minutes): I have tried to figure out why my monitor turns itself off after (about) 10 minutes, and can't figure out why it is doing it. When the monitor goes off I have absolutely no control. The only thing I can do is turn off the computer and power it back up. Monitor turns...
  9. Monitor turns off after 2 minutes of inactivity

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Monitor turns off after 2 minutes of inactivity: I recently updated from Window 8.1 to Windows 10. The upgrade went fairly well except for my laptop monitor turning off after 1 or 2 minutes of inactivity. I have changed all power settings to appropriate times. At times, normally after a fresh restart, my screen saver kicks...
  10. W10 laptop with second monitor, display turns off after 1 minute

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 laptop with second monitor, display turns off after 1 minute: Hey all, hope someone here has a solution for this, since I'm going crazy. I have an HP dv7 laptop connected via VGA to a second monitor. The screen(s) turn off and the computer goes to sleep after a minute despite my best efforts. I have every setting that I can find set...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. new windows 18351.1 turns monitor off