Windows 10: Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and now File Explorer Crashes

Discus and support Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and now File Explorer Crashes in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I upgraded a MSI notebook computer 2019 model year, Intel Core i5 from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro. Since I upgraded, I cannot use File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Symphotic, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Symphotic Win User

Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and now File Explorer Crashes

I upgraded a MSI notebook computer 2019 model year, Intel Core i5 from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro. Since I upgraded, I cannot use File Explorer. If I open File Explorer and click on "This PC", File Explorer crashes. Clicking on "One Drive" works, clicking on "Network" works, and clicking on "Quick Access" works.

I also cannot run Command Prompt in administrative mode. I went to Power Shell and ran "DISM.exe /online /cleanup-image /Restorehealth" followed by "sfc /scannow" and that didn't help. I tried to re-install windows, but I get an error that says something like "We don't know what happened" when I try, and I can't re-install.

I checked for all updates and installed all.

So Windows 10 pro upgrade has done something that I can't recover from.

:)

Symphotic, Mar 9, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 9, 2021
  3. file explorer crashes

Effective Way to Solve the File Explorer Crashes Issue

You can try the following steps:

1. Tap down the Windows button first to activate the search bar.
    2. After that, in the search bar type control, and then click on the top-most search result, that is on Control Panel.
    3. Next, in the search bar type file.
    4. Now, from the search results click on File Explorer Options.
    5. Then, click on the Clean button.
    6. Lastly, click on Apply and then on OK.

References: https://www.****/knowledge/solved-windows-10-file-explorer-crash-easy-way/

JuanSmith2, Mar 9, 2021
  4. Harvy Win User

Windows explorer crashing

Hi,

I am having the same problem as the OP in this thread.
    Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

I have tried the fixes listed in the above thread and I am getting the same error message as 'ktadie' (post 16). I think this is because I am running Windows 7 Professional. Windows explorer crashes when I open my 'Films' folder on my brand new 2tb external HDD. I have about 300 .avi files in this folder and some of the .avi files are several years old.

In short I believe I need the same fix given by 'Wile E' (post 7) but updated for Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks in advance.

Harvy, Mar 9, 2021
Thema:

1. Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and now File Explorer Crashes - Similar Threads - Upgraded Pro File

2. Windows 10 File Explorer Crashing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 File Explorer Crashing: Hi there, I'm experiencing frequent crashes with File Explorer on my Windows 10 laptop. Whenever I try to open File Explorer or browse through folders, it freezes for a few seconds and then crashes. I've tried restarting my computer and running the System File Checker tool,...
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer Crashes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 File Explorer Crashes: Hello,Since the recent Windows 10 Update, my File Explorer crashes under the following circumstance:Step 1 - Connect external hard disk I have tried severalStep 2 - Copy large files up to 4Gb onto the external hard diskStep 3 - After files are copied, right click on the hard...
  4. file explorer or windows explorer crashing on windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer or windows explorer crashing on windows 10: file explorer or windows explorer crashing on windows 10.I work at a MSP and file explore crashes or reset when you try to copy or paste or create a short cut. Its only happening at one of the companies that we support and not the others....
  5. WINDOWS 10 PRO - FILE EXPLORER

WINDOWS 10 PRO - FILE EXPLORER: I recently applied the latest set of Windows update 10/09/2020 and have noticed that File Explorer has changed its default display at startup. Historically the display was split into 3 panes. The left side had 2 and the right side had 1. Left top was the quick...
  6. File Explorer crash in Windows 10

File Explorer crash in Windows 10: Hi there I have tried absolutely all of the recommendations in the various posts and articles - ensured Windows fully up to date - checked Display settings - deleted Regedit keys - deleted File Explorer settings - cleared File explorer history - ran Netsh Winsock reset...
  7. Windows 10 File Explorer crash

Windows 10 File Explorer crash: Windows 10 File Explorer, <Right click> on some files causes it to crash. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-file-explorer-crash/6950947f-9204-407f-9efd-d6f39909615d"
  8. Windows 10 File Explorer crashes

Windows 10 File Explorer crashes: I have noticed a lot of complaints involving Windows File Explorer crashing; This had been a problem of mine for months, I tried every fix there is and nothing worked. I think it was a case "Not Seeing The Forest For The Trees" We are all over thinking the problem. So I kept...
  9. Start button crashes and now my file explorer is crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start button crashes and now my file explorer is crashing: When I click on my start button, the search bar disappears and I cannot open any apps. Now I cannot open my file explorer when I click on it, everything on my disappears for a few moments and then reappears. Yesterday, it only crashed when I tried to open my photo's but...
  10. File Explorer crashing in Windows 10

File Explorer crashing in Windows 10: What steps can I take to sort this out? File explorer won't open from the taskbar or from windows search. When I do get file explorer to open (using dropbox app), file explorer crashes quickly....