Windows 10: Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home Edition and lost Pro after a system recovery

Discus and support Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home Edition and lost Pro after a system recovery in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a laptop that I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home Edition. I recently did a restore of the system to factory settings via the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Entropy1974, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home Edition and lost Pro after a system recovery

I have a laptop that I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home Edition. I recently did a restore of the system to factory settings via the Lenovo recovery app and it recovered to Windows 10 Home edition. I can't figure out how to get Windows 10 Pro back on the system. The system doesn't have a Windows Key on it like usual so entering a key (A pro key) isn't an option under "Activation".

Ultimately, I need to get back to Windows 10 Pro and can't figure out how. I don't really want to do a clean install of Windows 10 without any keys as it will wipe out the recovery partitions and I will lose the ability to even get back to Windows Home addition.

What is the best way to proceed?

:)

Entropy1974, Oct 21, 2018
  2. Remon Ont Win User

Windows 10 pro edition

Hello Raed,

For us to better assist you with your concern about upgrading to Windows 10 pro edition and how to roll back to Windows 7, we would like to know some additional information first:

• Did you get any error messages or error codes?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

To help you on upgrading your Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro, we suggest that you check this

article
    for information and troubleshooting steps.

You can follow the steps provided below to be able to downgrade to Windows 7:

• Open Settings.
    • Select Update & security.
    • Click Recovery tab.
    • Look for the option to "Go back to Windows 7/8", and click on "Get Started" to begin the process.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Remon Ont, Oct 21, 2018
  3. Can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro

Hi Bill,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and will assist you in the best possible ways.

I suggest you to download and create an installation media for Windows 10 Pro form the link provided below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

After the installation media is created, suggest you to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from the installation media. When the upgrade asks for product key, enter the product key purchased for Windows 10 Pro. If it does not accept, suggest you to skip the activation
    step. After the Operating System is installed, suggest you to activate by phone by following the steps below:

• Press “Windows key + R” and type “slui 4” and press Enter.
    • Select the Region from the list and click Next.
    • Call the Toll-Free number provided on top and can activate via phone.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 21, 2018
  4. ManojMah Win User

Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home Edition and lost Pro after a system recovery

Recovery Drive for Windows 10 Pro.

It was, for a solid month, a tale of tears, trauma and triumph of Ten (Windows 10 that is).

After many failed attempts to download and then install and then wait for activations of Windows 10 upgrade on my Windows 8.1 Pro two laptops, I finally succeeded.

Out of abundance of caution I decided to create a recovery drive so I could do a complete reinstall of Windows 10. It took a USB drive with 16 GB to create the Recovery media (including all system files?). I have a critical question (for me i.e.).

First consider:

• My two laptops have different Mother Boards and processors. One has Intel while the other has AMD.
    • Both have Windows 10 Pro (activated) upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro (genuine).
    • I created the Recovery media for the AMD machine.
    Now the questions:

• Do I need to create two separate Recovery Media? One for each machine?
    • How do I know the Media would work when an unfortunate need arises? Meaning, how do I know if the Recovery Drive just created is any good?
    Thank you for any help I can get.

ManojMah, Oct 21, 2018
Thema:

Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home Edition and lost Pro after a system recovery

1. Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home Edition and lost Pro after a system recovery - Similar Threads - Upgraded Pro Home

2. windows 10 Home not upgraded to Pro edition even after Activation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 Home not upgraded to Pro edition even after Activation: I entered correct product key of my windows 10 Home edition for upgrade, to Pro. There is no error but it is not upgraded. After entering key it say its activated only. still I have not upgraded to Pro edition...
  3. windows 10 Home not upgraded to Pro edition even after Activation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 Home not upgraded to Pro edition even after Activation: I entered correct product key of my windows 10 Home edition for upgrade, to Pro. There is no error but it is not upgraded. After entering key it say its activated only. still I have not upgraded to Pro edition...
  4. windows 10 Home not upgraded to Pro edition even after Activation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgrade windows 10 home edition to windows pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade windows 10 home edition to windows pro: Hi, My employer have assigned me a product key of windows 10 Pro edition to upgrade my laptop from windows 10 home edition to windows 10 pro. However I am getting below error while trying to do so. Error Message: The Product key you entered didn't work. Check the product...
  6. Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro Edition from Windows 10 Home Edition

Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro Edition from Windows 10 Home Edition: I currently have a license and USB Flash drive containing Windows 10 Home Edition. I'm considering doing the upgrade to Professional Edition for $99. If I perform that upgrade will I then have a new Professional product key that will allow me to perform a clean reinstall...
  7. How to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro system

How to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro system: How upgrade from Home system to Pro system. I have the key but I don't know the procedure, please help me. 164304
  8. Test Windows 10 Pro before upgrading from Home Edition

Test Windows 10 Pro before upgrading from Home Edition: Hi, I have bought a new laptop and would like to try out how performant a virtualization works. Delivered with Windows 10 Home so no HyperV Since I'm not 100% sure yet if I want to keep the laptop, I would like to test Windows 10 Pro before I buy the license from the...
  9. Upgrade from Home Edition to Pro

Upgrade from Home Edition to Pro: Hello, I purchased an upgrade from Windows 10 Home Edition to Windows 10 Pro Edition. Once the upgrade process starts, it stalls after 10-14% and then I get message that says: "Windows Upgrade Failed Error Code: 0x800f0904 how can I get the upgrade process to complete and...
  10. Problem with activating Win 10 after upgrading from Home edition to Pro edition with a...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Problem with activating Win 10 after upgrading from Home edition to Pro edition with a...: I have a HP laptop that I purchased 3 years ago that came with Win 10 Home, and only yesterday I wanted to update to Win 10 Pro to try new features in Windows for an entry tech certificate I'm currently studying, Since I'm on a tight budget, I purchased a Win 10 pro key...