Windows 10: Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home Edition and lost Pro after a system recovery

Discus and support Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home Edition and lost Pro after a system recovery in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a laptop that I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home Edition. I recently did a restore of the system to factory settings via the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Entropy1974, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Entropy1974 Win User

Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home Edition and lost Pro after a system recovery

I have a laptop that I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home Edition. I recently did a restore of the system to factory settings via the Lenovo recovery app and it recovered to Windows 10 Home edition. I can't figure out how to get Windows 10 Pro back on the system. The system doesn't have a Windows Key on it like usual so entering a key (A pro key) isn't an option under "Activation".

Ultimately, I need to get back to Windows 10 Pro and can't figure out how. I don't really want to do a clean install of Windows 10 without any keys as it will wipe out the recovery partitions and I will lose the ability to even get back to Windows Home addition.

What is the best way to proceed?

:)

Entropy1974, Oct 21, 2018
  2. Remon Ont Win User

Windows 10 pro edition

Hello Raed,

For us to better assist you with your concern about upgrading to Windows 10 pro edition and how to roll back to Windows 7, we would like to know some additional information first:

• Did you get any error messages or error codes?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

To help you on upgrading your Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro, we suggest that you check this

article
    for information and troubleshooting steps.

You can follow the steps provided below to be able to downgrade to Windows 7:

• Open Settings.
    • Select Update & security.
    • Click Recovery tab.
    • Look for the option to "Go back to Windows 7/8", and click on "Get Started" to begin the process.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Remon Ont, Oct 21, 2018
  3. Eeshwar Kumar Win User
    Can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro

Hi Bill,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and will assist you in the best possible ways.

I suggest you to download and create an installation media for Windows 10 Pro form the link provided below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

After the installation media is created, suggest you to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from the installation media. When the upgrade asks for product key, enter the product key purchased for Windows 10 Pro. If it does not accept, suggest you to skip the activation
    step. After the Operating System is installed, suggest you to activate by phone by following the steps below:

• Press “Windows key + R” and type “slui 4” and press Enter.
    • Select the Region from the list and click Next.
    • Call the Toll-Free number provided on top and can activate via phone.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 21, 2018
  4. ManojMah Win User

Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home Edition and lost Pro after a system recovery

Recovery Drive for Windows 10 Pro.

It was, for a solid month, a tale of tears, trauma and triumph of Ten (Windows 10 that is).

After many failed attempts to download and then install and then wait for activations of Windows 10 upgrade on my Windows 8.1 Pro two laptops, I finally succeeded.

Out of abundance of caution I decided to create a recovery drive so I could do a complete reinstall of Windows 10. It took a USB drive with 16 GB to create the Recovery media (including all system files?). I have a critical question (for me i.e.).

First consider:

• My two laptops have different Mother Boards and processors. One has Intel while the other has AMD.
    • Both have Windows 10 Pro (activated) upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro (genuine).
    • I created the Recovery media for the AMD machine.
    Now the questions:

• Do I need to create two separate Recovery Media? One for each machine?
    • How do I know the Media would work when an unfortunate need arises? Meaning, how do I know if the Recovery Drive just created is any good?
    Thank you for any help I can get.

ManojMah, Oct 21, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home Edition and lost Pro after a system recovery - Similar Threads - Upgraded Pro Home

2. Can't upgrade from Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't upgrade from Home to Pro: I purchased Windows Pro OEM back in 2016. Now with build 17758.1 it won't let me upgrade from home to pro! It says that I don't have a valid digital license or product key. How can I get it to let me upgrade to pro? Thanks....
  3. Windows flipped edition from Pro to Home after restored from backup

Windows flipped edition from Pro to Home after restored from backup: Hi, I used Macrium Reflect to make a backup of my Windows 10 tablet, then did some experiments with putting Linux on the thing, but was unsuccessful in getting all the tablets features to work. So I restored the backup I made back to the tablet. After wards, the Windows...
  4. Upgrading from Win 10 Home -> Pro

Upgrading from Win 10 Home -> Pro: I purchased a machine with Windows 10 Home pre-installed. I purchased a Win 10 Pro OEM licence from Directdeals.com as I had done successfully before, now when I try and enter the new product key I get an error message: "The product key you entered didn't work. …...
  5. 10 Home to Pro upgrade

10 Home to Pro upgrade: I joined the insider program prior to Windows 10 release. For my efforts I was given a digital entitlement for the Pro version, which I have been using ever since. My PC recently died (mother board) and my new system came with the 10 home edition. Try as I may I have not been...
  6. Upgrade to Pro from Home

Upgrade to Pro from Home: I have a license for Pro but my computer died a sudden death. The new one I ordered has the Home edition. Will I be able to upgrade to the Pro version on the new system? I would think so but you never know. 118760
  7. Change edition, Windows 10 Home to Pro

Change edition, Windows 10 Home to Pro: Hi, i have upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home. I 'm trying to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro edition from usb installation files and not store. After running setup.exe and choosing Upgrade i reach in a screen as this but it says home instead of pro and i...
  8. Downgrade from win pro to home edition

Downgrade from win pro to home edition: Hi. I got key for windows home edition, I took my pc to shop for repair but it is reformatted, they installed pro edition. Is it possible to downgrade to home edition ?. If yes how can I do this, if not what is solution ?. Please help. Thanks. 67557
  9. Upgrading windows 10 home to pro

Upgrading windows 10 home to pro: I upgraded my desktop PC from windows 7 home to windows 10 home 1511. Everything went well and windows 10 home is running fine. Now I would like to upgrade to windows 10 pro. I have a valid windows 7 ultimate key. I found a post that explained how to upgrade to windows 10...
  10. Upgrade from Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade from Home to Pro: I recently got a Lenovo Yoga 3 14 with Win 10 Home Pre-Installed. I want the Pro version to have access to the Group Policy Editor and other Pro features. If I buy the $99 upgrade can that be transferred to another computer if I decided to return this Lenovo and buy something...