Windows 10: Upgraded Win7 to Win10 - now very slow boot-up and poor performance

Discus and support Upgraded Win7 to Win10 - now very slow boot-up and poor performance in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have just done the in-place upgrade from Win7 Home to Win10 Home (version 21H1) using the Media Creation Tool and Brink's excellent tutorial, on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by br1anstorm, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Upgraded Win7 to Win10 - now very slow boot-up and poor performance

I have just done the in-place upgrade from Win7 Home to Win10 Home (version 21H1) using the Media Creation Tool and Brink's excellent tutorial, on my Samsung RF511 laptop. I was nervous not only because I didn't want to lose data or apps, but also because this laptop dual boots with Linux Mint. The good news is that it seems to have worked reasonably well. I only had to uninstall a couple of apps, and I've lost Bluetooth capability - and MCT warned me that the Samsung OEM Recovery program would no longer function (presumably it was set up to reinstate the original Win7 configuration from a hidden partition). But..... the bad news is that Win10 now boots up with the speed of a striking snail. Significantly and painfully slower than Win7 on this laptop. The basics of this Samsung RF511 are 8GB RAM, an Intel Core i5 2.50GHz CPU, and a 750GB (spinning) hard disk drive. I don't have any heavyweight graphics or gaming programs installed - aside from browser and music/video player, I only have photo-viewer/editor and a few simple utilities like Macrium, and there is not a lot of heavyweight data or files of any kind on the laptop. I uninstalled antivirus (MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware) before the upgrade. In terms of boot-up, it takes 2 minutes from power-on to the appearance of the login/password screen, with a black screen and a brief show of the rotating dots. After password entry, it then takes a further 1 min 15 sec to 1 min 30 sec, with more rotating dots, for the normal background screen to configure and the taskbar and menu to become active. I cannot say precisely how long Win7 took to go through the same process on this machine, but I'd say it was no more than 30 secs, and certainly well under a minute from power-on to full operation. It's early days, but my impression is also that the system is very slow to respond to any 'click' on the menu or any icon or shortcut. It feels like wading through treacle. So how do I address this? A forum search lists over 8,000 other posts about slow boot-up in Win10, and hundreds of different approaches to troubleshooting, analysis and solutions. I need help in narrowing down what to do. Of course the glib answer is "replace the HDD with an SSD" or "do a clean reinstall" (and hope that improves matters). Or maybe a Repair Install (I've just read that tutorial) now that I have Win10 in place. But it seems to me important first to diagnose and identify what's causing the sluggish behaviour. It's not just slow 'performance' once the computer is up and running: it is very slow from the first push of the power button, and there's obviously a lot going on before anything appears on screen. What I'd appreciate is a systematic sequence of steps or checks that I can do to analyse and nail down the cause(s) of the problem, rather than a "do this and see if it helps" strategy. But all suggestions gratefully received.

:)

br1anstorm, Jun 3, 2021
  2. zinou Win User

W10 slow boot and poor performance

On the latest boot trace, I notice that the Winlogon phase duration has dropped from 141s to 41s!

Upgraded Win7 to Win10 - now very slow boot-up and poor performance [​IMG]

I think enabling prefetcher has something to do with that!

Now in the Session Init phase, there is a delay of 8s when the smss process tries to read the following registry key (\Registry\Machine\software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Notifications).

There were issues with slow logon caused by notifications on the earlier Windows versions, where the same registry key was involved!
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-resources-err

I suggest you delete all the REG_BINARY entries, then restart your computer. => But before doing that (export the registry key and create a restore point if you need to rollback). I've tested the operation on my test machine, and it didn't hurt!

Secondly, I know that you've tested your disk with some tools, but I would be helpful to do another test with HDSentinel. Because there is a lot of I/O, and I want to eliminate the HD problem.

Also, check your Windows Events log if there are events related to the Hard disk. Filter on Disk source events. => If there are many errors related to the disk, it can be a sign of a failing disk!

zinou, Jun 3, 2021
  3. zinou Win User
    W10 slow boot and poor performance

First, the boot trace looks similar to the precedent, with a few improvements in the boot time, but it's much better than the first ones.

Do you notice improvements in your boot time compared to before?

Second, there is something related to the snapshots that are taking a little time to perform. Can you run this command (vssadmin list shadows) and post a screenshot of the result?

zinou, Jun 3, 2021
  4. Upgraded Win7 to Win10 - now very slow boot-up and poor performance

Slow boot on Win10 compared to Win7

Same for me. Windows is downloading and installing updates by the hour!
    The slow boot times (and shut down times) will get less and less as time goes on.

You might want to also look at the Start Up list in Task manager and disable some of the rogue elements hiding in there!

Right click Start.
    Click Task Manager.
    Click the Startup tab.

teachermark, Jun 3, 2021
Thema:

Upgraded Win7 to Win10 - now very slow boot-up and poor performance

1. Upgraded Win7 to Win10 - now very slow boot-up and poor performance - Similar Threads - Upgraded Win7 Win10

2. Very Poor Performance

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very Poor Performance: I havent done anything, my PC is working very slow, how can I enhance or at least get it back to normal. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/very-poor-performance/e9cf9d68-766d-4e5c-9e73-bf17f3ff5d77
  3. Very Poor Performance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Very Poor Performance: I havent done anything, my PC is working very slow, how can I enhance or at least get it back to normal. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/very-poor-performance/e9cf9d68-766d-4e5c-9e73-bf17f3ff5d77
  4. Very Poor Performance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Win7 to win10 upgrade without boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win7 to win10 upgrade without boot: Hi all, my desktop that was running windows 7 recently died due to CPU overheating so I upgraded the mobo, cpu and ram. I put together new parts and it posts fine but says no boot drive detected and so won’t load windows 7. Is there any way I can trick it into launching...
  6. Win7 to win10 upgrade without boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win7 to win10 upgrade without boot: Hi all, my desktop that was running windows 7 recently died due to CPU overheating so I upgraded the mobo, cpu and ram. I put together new parts and it posts fine but says no boot drive detected and so won’t load windows 7. Is there any way I can trick it into launching...
  7. Win7 to win10 upgrade without boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. W10 slow boot and poor performance

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    W10 slow boot and poor performance: Hello everyone and thanks in advance for your time and dedication. Originally, my problem is stated in the title. I've been stuck with this for months. Recently I found this forum and tried to fix it for 264542th time (not kidding, just exaggerating) by following steps given...
  9. Performance of System is Very poor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Performance of System is Very poor: I have facing problem regarding performance issues on my Windows 10 from few days. The Performance of the system is very poor even after Updated of Windows 10 Education. Specification of my Laptop is very good with 16GB RAM with intel core i5 processor. Some times after...
  10. Slow boot on Win10 compared to Win7

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow boot on Win10 compared to Win7: Hello, Compared to my Win7 installation, my Win10 boots up way slower than Win7 ever did. Relevant hardware: 2600K@4.8, 8GB 1600/CL7 RAM, Samsung 840 SSD. Fresh installation has been done after the initial upgrade, all drivers seem to be OK. What I did was check the...