Windows 10: Upgraded windows 10 home to 10 pro, but no hyper-v available

Discus and support Upgraded windows 10 home to 10 pro, but no hyper-v available in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I need to install docker in my laptop and for that I need windows 10 pro with hyper -v. i used to have windows 10 home , so i purchased windows 10 pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TanmayaSharma, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Upgraded windows 10 home to 10 pro, but no hyper-v available

I need to install docker in my laptop and for that I need windows 10 pro with hyper -v. i used to have windows 10 home , so i purchased windows 10 pro upgrade key and upgraded my laptop. After up gradation i could not find hyper-v in my system. i checked microsoft community and online resources but in vein. Can anybody help. i am chasing tail on call with MS support.

:)

TanmayaSharma, Feb 28, 2019

2. Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro with Hyper V

Hi

I am currently running Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit with Hyper V enabled as I need the virtual machine for my work. I would like to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro 64bit and understand that Hyper V comes with 10 Pro which is great, but I am concerned that my current
    settings will be lost duting the upgrade.

My question is.... can I upgrade without losing any of my existing Hyper V and VM settings?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

juliep_1215, Feb 28, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Hyper-V

If you currently run Windows 8.1 Pro, whether original install or upgrade, then a free Upgrade to Windows 10 will result in a Windows 10 Pro build with Hyper-V available again. There is a required download to fix a Hyper-V bug tho. Original VM builds will
    be retained across windows upgrades.

Neil.

NeilMacpherson, Feb 28, 2019
  4. Upgraded windows 10 home to 10 pro, but no hyper-v available

Hyper-v feature did not available in Window 10 Home ?

Hyper-V is only available in Pro or high SKUs of Windows 10. Then in order to use the hypervisor part of Hyper-V your computer has to have the following

• 64-bit Processor with Second Level Address Translation (SLAT).
    • CPU support for VM Monitor Mode Extension (VT-c on Intel CPU's).
    • Minimum of 4 GB memory.
    Then you need to make sure that the following items are enabled in the system BIOS:

• Virtualization Technology - may have a different label depending on motherboard manufacturer.
    • Hardware Enforced Data Execution Prevention.
    As for Windows 10 Home is it impossible to install or use Hyper-V. Thus Docker containers can't be created with that SKU.

Dan1986ist, Feb 28, 2019
Thema:

Upgraded windows 10 home to 10 pro, but no hyper-v available

1. Upgraded windows 10 home to 10 pro, but no hyper-v available - Similar Threads - Upgraded home pro

2. Windows 10 Home Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Home Hyper-V: I'm using the windows 10 home version and my VMware workstation throw an error "VMware workstation and Hyper V not compatible. Remove Hyper-V role from the system". Since I'm using a home version, I cannot disable hyper-v through cmd prompt/ PowerShell/ windows features....
  3. Enabling Hyper-V on Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enabling Hyper-V on Windows 10 Home: How do you enable Hyper-V on Windows 10 Home? Edit: I've reformatted the question from the original post to help people who may have the same issue in the future, so they will be able to find this solution....
  4. Hyper-V not available.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hyper-V not available.: In my list of Windows Features Hyper-V is not showing up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-not-available/8aaaa3f9-7e4d-4960-ba9e-e6889b219f19
  5. windows 10 pro and hyper-v

windows 10 pro and hyper-v: I have to buy another copy of Win 10 pro in order to setup Hyper-V? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-and-hyper-v/1cfc575c-745d-4990-88ab-58ff447af7a6
  6. Hyper-V on windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hyper-V on windows 10 Pro: Hi, I have a problem setting up Hyper-V on windows 10 professional. I tryed many steps including: using powershell to enable hyper-v features, using advanced program setup dialog and using DISM. The hyper-v software is installed, but cant run any contrainer, saying...
  7. Hyper-V on windows 10 Pro

Hyper-V on windows 10 Pro: Hi, I have a problem setting up Hyper-V on windows 10 professional. I tryed many steps including: using powershell to enable hyper-v features, using advanced program setup dialog and using DISM. The hyper-v software is installed, but cant run any contrainer, saying...
  8. Getting Sound in 10 Home Hyper-V session

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Getting Sound in 10 Home Hyper-V session: As most users will be aware, one restriction in Hyper-V is that you can only run 10 Home in a Hyper-V virtual machine as a basic session (as it does not have RDP server capability), and cannot then get sound. To date, I have had to use VMWare to play Home VMs and get...
  9. Hyper-V Manager not available

Hyper-V Manager not available: Hi there, 1. I installed the Hyper-V features (tickmarked all 4 options) and rebooted my system. (My system did some installation, updates etc) 2. After the reboot i can confirm that the hyper-v folders in "C:\Program Files\Hyper-V" appeared. 3. Unfortunately i can not...
  10. Hyper-V enabled but not accessible in Windows 10 Home?

Hyper-V enabled but not accessible in Windows 10 Home?: I have Windows 10 Home - I double checked this under Settings > System > About. Under System Information, I can see that somehow I have Hyper-V (which I read wasn't a feature in Windows 10 Home) enabled. I'm trying to install a Kali VM but I can't disable these features...