Windows 10: Upgraded Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro and removed HDD, Windows cannot be licensed.

Discus and support Upgraded Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro and removed HDD, Windows cannot be licensed. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 Home license key from 2015, but that cannot be used to license a Windows 10 Pro. I purchased the Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by evaneliasyoung, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Upgraded Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro and removed HDD, Windows cannot be licensed.

I have a Windows 10 Home license key from 2015, but that cannot be used to license a Windows 10 Pro. I purchased the Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade from the Microsoft store. I upgraded my Windows 10 Home installation to Windows 10 Pro, during the reboot phase I changed my hardware.

Upgraded Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro and removed HDD, Windows cannot be licensed. b12bdb82-6854-4f15-8881-c91923b89d0f?upload=true.png

Upgraded Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro and removed HDD, Windows cannot be licensed. b9d61d9c-af88-48bc-a4e9-1916378cb370?upload=true.png

:)

evaneliasyoung, Dec 10, 2020
  2. krimetal Win User

Windows 10 upgrade license

Hello guys,

I have 1 license of WIndows 8.1 FPP/retail license. I want to upgrade to WIndows 10, but I one thing is unclear to me.
    If I upgrade, will WIndows 10 license be retail or it will "turn" into some sort of OEM license?

I ask this because I upgrade my PC, you know, more memory, replace HDD, and I intend to upgrade the MB and CPU to Kaby Lake platform sometime in the future, (and of course sell the replaced hardware)
    This thing is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

Thank you.

krimetal, Dec 10, 2020
  3. krimetal Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade license

The interesting question is that: the upgrade takes place before 29 of July. If I upgrade the PC (change the MB), and I transfer the Win 8.1 license to this new PC (cause 8.1 is retail FPP), will I be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free? Or a upgrade license must be bought?

krimetal, Dec 10, 2020
  4. Frick Win User

Upgraded Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro and removed HDD, Windows cannot be licensed.

Windows 10 Release Date Announced

Windows 10 Home will be $119, Pro $199.

Microsoft: Windows 10 Home costs $119, Pro costs $199

Which is good news actually, because Windows 8.1 is loads cheaper than previous versions (retail licensing at Windows 7 OEM prices). And it sort of puts a huge hole in the Windows subscription theory.

Frick, Dec 10, 2020
Thema:

Upgraded Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro and removed HDD, Windows cannot be licensed.

1. Upgraded Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro and removed HDD, Windows cannot be licensed. - Similar Threads - Upgraded Home Pro

2. Cannot upgrade "Windows 10 Home" license to "Windows 10 Pro" license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot upgrade "Windows 10 Home" license to "Windows 10 Pro" license: Hello!I just bought an HP laptop with preinstalled "Windows 10 Home", but I need "Windows 10 Pro" because of Hyper-V. HP claims that there are no restrictions for upgrading OS. So, I made a factory reset and wiped the TPM. Then I performed a clean with drive formatting...
  3. Cannot upgrade "Windows 10 Home" license to "Windows 10 Pro" license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot upgrade "Windows 10 Home" license to "Windows 10 Pro" license: Hello!I just bought an HP laptop with preinstalled "Windows 10 Home", but I need "Windows 10 Pro" because of Hyper-V. HP claims that there are no restrictions for upgrading OS. So, I made a factory reset and wiped the TPM. Then I performed a clean with drive formatting...
  4. Cannot upgrade "Windows 10 Home" license to "Windows 10 Pro" license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. license windows 10 upgrade, from windows 10 home to pro

license windows 10 upgrade, from windows 10 home to pro: hi i would like to upgrade from window 10 home to window 10 pro. then buy license part number FQC-08929 but can't upgrade as microsoft said it is OEM license. then supplier suggest another license part number FQC-09131. 1. FQC-09131 is this license valid for upgrade...
  6. Windows 10 Home -> Pro Upgrade License Transferability

Windows 10 Home -> Pro Upgrade License Transferability: Hello, I purchased an upgrade license from Home to Pro on my laptop. I recently purchased a new laptop that also came with Windows Home. Am I able to transfer the upgrade license from previous laptop to this new laptop? Thank you in advance for your help!...
  7. Upgrading Windows 10 Home DEMO to Windows 10 Pro Licensed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading Windows 10 Home DEMO to Windows 10 Pro Licensed: I was running a demo non-activated version of Windows 10 Home on a home-built PC. I recently purchased a Windows 10 Pro license key. I am unable to upgrade using the new key. When I go to Activation>Change Product Key and enter the new key I get an error that the code did...
  8. Windows 10 Home to Pro OEM license upgrade?

Windows 10 Home to Pro OEM license upgrade?: Hello there, I want to upgrade my HP laptop from Windows 10 Home OEM license to Pro using retail key but i always get the error windows is not activated even though it is a genuine product key from Microsoft. Thanks in advance for any help....
  9. Windows 10 pro to Windows 10 home.. Digital Licensing good for home, not pro, and cannot...

Windows 10 pro to Windows 10 home.. Digital Licensing good for home, not pro, and cannot...: I have tried everything.. I reset the PC and cannot get an option to go back to windows 10 home. I see that my version cannot be activated due to the fact that I am running Windows 10 pro, and the computer troubleshooter says it found a digital license good for Windows 10...
  10. Upgrade license ownership - Windows 10 Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade license ownership - Windows 10 Home to Pro: We have multiple company (~10) computers that were bought and brought into use with Windows 10 Home. I have been upgrading them to Windows 10 Pro (to allow them to be joined to the Azure AD) via the windows store as it appeared to be the cheapest solution that we could be...