Windows 10: Upgraded windows 10, weird disk partitions?

Discus and support Upgraded windows 10, weird disk partitions? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi guys i upgraded my windows 7 to 10, i looked into my disk partitions and i found a weird partition on my C/OS Drive. there is the C drive, system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by pazy66, Jan 25, 2016.

1. pazy66 Win User

Upgraded windows 10, weird disk partitions?

Hi guys
    i upgraded my windows 7 to 10, i looked into my disk partitions and i found a weird partition on my C/OS Drive.
    there is the C drive, system reserved, and another partition thats 450mb i dont know what this is.
    i have attached a screenshot of it too, i am unable to format it in disk management, or do anything to it.
    if i right click it the only option that comes up is "help"

any help would be appreciated.

:)

pazy66, Jan 25, 2016

2. Update to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 failed multiple times

It seems weird because I found some reports of users for which the upgrade completed successfully even with Users folder on another drive, also when I check the XML files for UserMig it shows that it seems to have no problem with data on another disk.

Well, well, I'll try to install Windows 8.1 and migrate to Windows 10 with the MCT.

Thanks for the reply by the way Upgraded windows 10, weird disk partitions? :)

-Thomas

{Thomas Schweizer-Bolzonello}, Jan 25, 2016
  3. John582n Win User
    windows 10 upgrade made my computor useless

Sorry, I meant to respond to the OP.

It could well be a coincidental hardware problem, but I still think it is suspicious that this failed after Win 10 upgrade. During preview testing of this software there were equally strange reports of weird hardware faults occurring such fried hard disks
    etc.

John582n, Jan 25, 2016
  4. Private Win User

If I'm not mistaken, System Reserved is a partition that newly created for Windows 10 (normally 500MB) and the 450 is the partition been brought through the upgrade from previous Windows.

To get rid of it, clean install is the best choice. During the setup, delete all those partitions including the partition to install Windows. It'll be combined into 1 unallocated partition, then proceed the installation. At the end, Windows will only create 2 partitions, 1 for the OS and 1 for the reserved.

Private, Jan 25, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    The 450mb partition contains the WindowsRE (Recovery Environment). If you hold down shift key when you click restart from the power icon you will enter the recovery environment - that is what the 450mb partition contains. It does not contain the actual recovery image that would be needed to re-install Windows - just the troubleshooting menu options.

BTW, the screenshot you posted is not your disk management screen.

If you really want to see what is on it - and what is on any partition then install MiniTool Partition Wizard free. Right click on any partition and select explore.

Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

NavyLCDR, Jan 25, 2016
  6. pazy66 Win User
    so the 450mb file is of no real use?

im confused, Private stated its a partition been brought over from windows 7?...

ok so it holds the WindowsRE. i thought windows only created 2 partitions for the OS? why is there now a third?...

pazy66, Jan 25, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    And he was probably wrong.

Because the Windows 10 had to create a recovery environment that is compatible with Windows 10, but it leaves the old recovery partitions in tact in case the computer has the capability to do recovery from them.

NavyLCDR, Jan 25, 2016
  8. pazy66 Win User

it does hold the windowsRE i used the program stated and it contains files pertaining to recovery and troubleshooting,

pazy66, Jan 25, 2016
  9. Private Win User
    As I said before "if I'm not mistaken". I was assuming without looking your Disk Management status and I made a wrong statement... sorry.

Private, Jan 25, 2016
  10. pazy66 Win User
    this is strange however, i am used to windows making 2 partitions, not 3...

pazy66, Jan 25, 2016
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    I have 3 partitions set up when I installed 10.. Image:

Upgraded windows 10, weird disk partitions? [​IMG]

BunnyJ, Jan 25, 2016
  12. Private Win User
    I'm not sure why there was a difference, this one is only 2 created by the setup.

Upgraded windows 10, weird disk partitions? [​IMG]

The size also varies.

Private, Jan 26, 2016
  13. pazy66 Win User

i assume an upgrade created a 3rd partition for recovery purposes
    and a full clean install does not?

pazy66, Jan 26, 2016
  14. cereberus Win User
    Your instalation is perfect. All Eufi installs of Windows 10 create four partitions (one called MSR is hidden).

The new recovery partition just contains the software to rebuild Windows 10 from winsnxs compressed folders on C drive. There is no longer a 5GB+ recovery partition with a copy of all the OS files.

You have nothing to worry about. Your install is fine.

cereberus, Jan 26, 2016
  15. pazy66 Win User
    thanks, i was considering deleting the partition but i guess ill just keep it.

pazy66, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgraded windows 10, weird disk partitions? - Similar Threads - Upgraded weird disk

2. windows 10 disk partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 disk partition: HI, I am on win10 and I installed a second intern hard drive disk 2 cant see it in the win explorer, dont know why?thanks but I https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-disk-partition/c4c1786c-7a54-42f1-962f-47e13b948f4c
  3. windows 10 disk partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 disk partition: HI, I am on win10 and I installed a second intern hard drive disk 2 cant see it in the win explorer, dont know why?thanks but I https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-disk-partition/c4c1786c-7a54-42f1-962f-47e13b948f4c
  4. windows 10 disk partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. DISK PARTITION IN WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DISK PARTITION IN WINDOWS 10: Please suggest the solution for this "the size of the extent is less than the minimum hdd error" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-partition-in-windows-10/2bb2310d-42fd-46e7-b81d-ba08c6e429d3
  6. DISK PARTITION IN WINDOWS 10

DISK PARTITION IN WINDOWS 10: Please suggest the solution for this "the size of the extent is less than the minimum hdd error" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-partition-in-windows-10/e147cf05-fbc8-46ae-a3e6-51f34d259ff4
  7. Weird disk partitions after a Windows upgrade - safe to delete?

Weird disk partitions after a Windows upgrade - safe to delete?: Hi I'm running Windows 10, Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1016) I noticed that my main SSD disk had an extra partition suddenly. It used to just be the C: drive but now there is a G: drive as well. (image attached) Do you think it would be safe to delete this partition?...
  8. Weird disk partitions after a Windows upgrade - safe to delete?

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird disk partitions after a Windows upgrade - safe to delete?: Hi I'm running Windows 10, Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1016) I noticed that my main SSD disk had an extra partition suddenly. It used to just be the C: drive but now there is a G: drive as well. (image attached) Do you think it would be safe to delete this partition?...
  9. Query : weird partition with weird folder

Query : weird partition with weird folder: Hi all. To start, I've got a Dell pc. It seems they add weird partitions. I've got the normal ESP partition first. It's fat32. The second partition, I believe it's created by Windows, is 40mb and is labeled "diags". The strange thing is that it's also fat32 and includes one...
  10. Windows 10 Disk Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Disk Partition: I have 50 GB of unallocated space available on my device which in which i had Linux installed. I deleted Linux and was left with the unallocated space, I'm having problem with extending my existing volumes with that unallocated space. The disk management shows the error that...