Windows 10: Upgraded with Media Tool, no boot disk

Discus and support Upgraded with Media Tool, no boot disk in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, Itried to upgrade keeping files and apps using the media creation tool. After doing its thing and restarting a couple of times, it would not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JoshWiniberg, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Upgraded with Media Tool, no boot disk

Hi,

Itried to upgrade keeping files and apps using the media creation tool. After doing its thing and restarting a couple of times, it would not start on the third start up, saying there is no boot disc.

I inserted a bootable USB drive and was told that an upgrade is in progress, please either remove the boot drive and restart, or choose to clean install which I don't want to do.

I removed the drive and restarted only to be given the 'no boot drive message again.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

:)

JoshWiniberg, Oct 14, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

3. Media creation tool

Try this:

1. Run the command RecoveryDrive.exe on on some other Windows 10 PC. It will create a bootable flash disk. Do NOT copy the system files!
    2. Boot the Asus PC with this disk.
    3. Plug in the disk with the media creation tool.
    4. Type E:\setup.exe and press Enter (assuming the the tool is visible on EUpgraded with Media Tool, no boot disk :).

Frederik Long, Oct 14, 2020
  4. Upgraded with Media Tool, no boot disk

Problems upgrading to Windows 10 with the Media Creation Tool.

Hi Abel,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

I do appreciate your efforts and time, and will assist you with the issue.

To guide you in the right direction, I need more information from the computer by answering the following questions:

• What is the make and model of your computer?

• Which operating system are you currently running on your computer?

• Is you’re your anti-virus utility software disabled?

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution.

Meanwhile I suggest you to try the steps provided below and
    check if it helps.

Method 1

Perform a clean boot.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows
    10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.

Clean Boot:

Notes

• You must log on to the computer as an administrator to be able to perform a clean boot.

• Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality when you perform a clean boot. When you start the computer normally, the functionality returns. However, you may receive the original error message, or
      experience the original behavior if the problem still exists.

• If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps. We strongly recommend that you do not use the System Configuration utility to change the advanced
      boot options on the computer unless a Microsoft support engineer directs you to do this. Doing this may make the computer unusable.
    I suggest you to try the steps provided in the link below, in order to perform a clean boot on your computer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

I also suggest you to refer to the link below for more information about downloading Media Creation Tool.

Windows 10 herunterladen

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Oct 14, 2020
Thema:

Upgraded with Media Tool, no boot disk

1. Upgraded with Media Tool, no boot disk - Similar Threads - Upgraded Media Tool

2. Media Creation Tool Windows upgrade error

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Media Creation Tool Windows upgrade error: I'm trying to upgrade my Windows 10 Enterprise OS to Windows 10 Home and bought the new OS and downloaded the .exe file. I also downloaded the installation tool that Microsoft recommended but when I try upgrading my PC, I'm given the error "The language or edition of the...
  3. Media Creation Tool Windows upgrade error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Creation Tool Windows upgrade error: I'm trying to upgrade my Windows 10 Enterprise OS to Windows 10 Home and bought the new OS and downloaded the .exe file. I also downloaded the installation tool that Microsoft recommended but when I try upgrading my PC, I'm given the error "The language or edition of the...
  4. In Place Upgrade / Media Creation Tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    In Place Upgrade / Media Creation Tool: Hi AllI was able to successfully use In Place Upgrade Media Creation Tool choosing the option of keeping personal files and applications to upgrade to the latest version 21h1 of Windows 10 this May. However I was still having security update issue even after a freshly...
  5. Media Creation Tool for Upgrades

Media Creation Tool for Upgrades: Quick question about the use of the Media creation tool. I am currently using MCT1903 on a USB to upgrade my PC to windows 10. I didn't turn the USB into a bootable device; I just put the tool on it. I am wondering if on the "Downloading Windows 10" screen of the...
  6. does the media tool allow upgrade

does the media tool allow upgrade: The media tool will do a fresh install of windows 10. But if someone only wants to upgrade windows 7 to windows 10, does it do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-the-media-tool-allow-upgrade/d132c67d-c641-4991-932b-bdbe4aff504a
  7. Media Creation Tool upgraded wrong edition

Media Creation Tool upgraded wrong edition: Hello everyone how you doing ? I faced an awkward problem which is , I downloaded windows 10 Pro x64 bit and installed it with not problem and activated it and I made sure it's Pro Edition from ---> This PC----> Properties and I tried to update Windows through Update settings...
  8. Any disadvantage to upgrading with the Media Creation Tool?

Any disadvantage to upgrading with the Media Creation Tool?: Hey guys. I am in the same boat as a lot of people in these threads and unfortunately, Windows 10 is not automatically installing. I've downloaded the Media Creation Tool (x64) and have my original Windows 7 Product Key, but is there any specific disadvantage to installing...
  9. Media tools Upgrade this pc error

Media tools Upgrade this pc error: When i press upgrade this pc (the first option) it gives me error Something happen Something happen can you please help 9639
  10. Media Tool installation boot issue

Media Tool installation boot issue: I'm trying to upgrade to Windows 10 from 7 and used the media creation tool on my usb flash drive. I've changed the fast boot option in my bios to disabled. When I run the program, I choose not to check for updates now, because I've already been through it on this Windows....