Windows 10: Upgrading a Cloned Windows 8.1 SSD

Discus and support Upgrading a Cloned Windows 8.1 SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; You can't "unregister" and already updated system anymore than you can "deactivate" it. The upgraded system was already registered with the activation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by trembuzz, Aug 29, 2015.

1. CmmTch Win User

Upgrading a Cloned Windows 8.1 SSD

How do you activate a non OEM W10 when you upgrade your hardware or build a new system?

I've upgraded a retail Win7 OS to W10 Home and it's activated, according to the EULA I can use that same activated OS to install on my system when I upgrade my MB and/or CPU and/or whatever other hardware needs replacing. Or if I build an entirely new system, how do I go about showing my W10 activated OS is no longer on a retired/replaced system.

Below is for the OP

I guess if you go back to the previous OS within 31 days your activated W10 would revert to your previous qualifying OS.

Apparently going back to your previous OS, or performing a clean install are the only things left to do.

CmmTch, Aug 30, 2015
  2. trembuzz Win User

This sounds logical so I'm thinking I'll just leave well enough alone and stick with W8.1 on my SSD installing my original HDD with W10 every once in a while for updates and if I absolutely have to re-clone my SSD to W10 from my HDD.

Thanks for you input everyone!

trembuzz, Aug 30, 2015
  3. lx07 Win User
    You re-install and activate your qualifying license and upgrade again. You can't transfer the Windows 10 install to another PC as it will have a different hardware hash. This will only be free for the first year. After that you'll have to buy 10 or revert to your previous OS if you change hardware (at least that is what they are saying now).

You don't have to. If you activate 7 by phone you'll have to say how many machines it is running on so unless you want to lie you have to uninstall (or stop using) the other version. Same as before - you don't unregister - you just stop using it.

No it wouldn't. You can restore back to a 8.1 backup at any time. The 31 days is only for the option for doing it from within Windows 10. Once you have upgraded that hardware to 10 and seen it is activated then that device is registered. You can then clean install or upgrade at any point during the lifetime of the device.

You could therefore upgrade to 10, revert to 8.1 backup after 6 months, run 8.1 until end of life in 2018 and then upgrade or clean install 10 because your device is already registered on MS servers.

No. You can clone your HDD to SSD or you can upgrade the SSD using the ISO or media creation tool. If your Windows 10 is activated on your HDD then it makes no difference.

If you decide to use your SSD then Windows 8.1 will remain activated (forever) but if you (ever) upgrade it to 10 or clean install 10 that will be activated also as long as you are on the same device.

If you want to upgrade, the easiest is to copy the ISO to your desktop, mount it and click on set-up.exe. (Option 5 in this tutorial: Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums )

You can make an iso using media creation tool or download one. See here : Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

Getting an ISO is better than upgrading direct as if something goes wrong you don't have to download the whole thing again.

4. CmmTch Win User

I'm not reinstalling Win7 and activating it by phone, I no longer use Win7. This computer is now a W10 machine upgraded from a retail license.

See section 4, subsection b, in the EULA, this document below is from my current install of W10 Home. This addresses upgrading from "stand alone" software which I did. Might have to use the Win7 License that I upgraded from to activate an install of W10 in an upgraded, or rebuilt machine, at this point nobody can say for sure how this will work out. I do know I can't use the Win7 license I upgraded from to install Win7 in any computer without violating the W10 EULA while using the W10 upgrade software.

CmmTch, Aug 31, 2015
  5. trembuzz Win User
    Thank you halasz.
    I was thinking I could do what you're saying but wanted to confirm and with the different answers I was getting I just wasn't sure.

trembuzz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrading a Cloned Windows 8.1 SSD - Similar Threads - Upgrading Cloned SSD

2. How to upgrade 256 Sata SSD with a NvME 1 TB SSD and clone the existing smaller SSD to my...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to upgrade 256 Sata SSD with a NvME 1 TB SSD and clone the existing smaller SSD to my...: Hello!I Have an Asus Laptop and I want to upgrade the SSD, I currently have installed a 1 TB HDD in the laptop and i'm wondering if its possible to clone the smaller SSD into the Hard Drive to install the new SSD. I've looked for many tutorials but I haven't found any case as...
  3. How to upgrade 256 Sata SSD with a NvME 1 TB SSD and clone the existing smaller SSD to my...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to upgrade 256 Sata SSD with a NvME 1 TB SSD and clone the existing smaller SSD to my...: Hello!I Have an Asus Laptop and I want to upgrade the SSD, I currently have installed a 1 TB HDD in the laptop and i'm wondering if its possible to clone the smaller SSD into the Hard Drive to install the new SSD. I've looked for many tutorials but I haven't found any case as...
  4. How to upgrade 256 Sata SSD with a NvME 1 TB SSD and clone the existing smaller SSD to my...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Trouble with disk clone/HDD to SSD upgrade

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trouble with disk clone/HDD to SSD upgrade: So, I've got an HP laptop that is only less than two years old and it was never fast. Before replacing the thing outright I thought I would try to swap out the spinning rust for an SSD and see if that helped. Here are some basic specs and details of what I've done. It's a...
  6. Cloned Upgrade SSD does not boot in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cloned Upgrade SSD does not boot in Windows 10: Few days ago I decided to upgrade my laptop and replace the HDD with a SSD. I have cloned my Toshiba Equium U400 HDD to Samsung EVO 860 SSD twice: Once with AOMEI Backupper Pro cloning solution and a second time with Macrium Reflect. In both cases, the computer when trying...
  7. Clone ssd

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone ssd: Hi all if I want to install a 500gb ssd can I clone my 120 ssd to it. Its not my c drive its the g drive I just need more room for games I will be giving the old ssd to my son to make a boot drive 67592
  8. SSD Clone to SSD

SSD Clone to SSD: Hey, I am cloning several computers for work with the exact same hardware. I have a working computer with a SSD and HDD. When I clone the SSD and start up the same computer with the SSD switched windows will not load and it gives me the standard missing required files to...
  9. Cloning to SSD

Cloning to SSD: First question here on 10 forum but used 7 forum lots. Anyway I am trying to clone the HDD? reduced partion to 450GB so as to be less than theSSD on my laptop. Trying to clone to a Samsung EVO 850 500GB. I have used the Samsung migration software and a version of EaseUS both...
  10. SSD upgrade, cloning W10, and recovery partition

SSD upgrade, cloning W10, and recovery partition: I just bought a new SSD, San Disk ultra II 960GB. I want to install it in my Samsung Ativbook. The computer originally came with windows 8 but I did the free upgrade to 10. Ever since I upgraded, the computer is running much slower and takes a lot longer to boot. As a result,...