Windows 10: Upgrading a corporate laptop to W10

Discus and support Upgrading a corporate laptop to W10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I have a computer that my father gave me. It was from his old office. It's an older machine with W7. It either has professional or ultimate. It was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by striper, Jul 3, 2016.

1. striper Win User

Upgrading a corporate laptop to W10

So I have a computer that my father gave me. It was from his old office. It's an older machine with W7. It either has professional or ultimate. It was linked to a domain. They had some kind of professional IT service setup all the computers at his office. I believe the windows product key is one that this company had a licence to. I don't think the company that setup the domain is still in business.

I was able to reset all of passwords and I have been using the computer. It works just fine. I would like to sell it though. I already have too much stuff and I could use the money.

If I accept the W10 upgrade am I likely to encounter any issues with the upgrade?

Also, how will an older machine be at running W10?

:)

striper, Jul 3, 2016

2. Laptop dying - need to transfer Win 10 to replacement machine.

My laptop is old spec and unbearably slow and unreliable. I took advantage of the W10 free upgrade when it became available but it didn't go well and I ended up downloading the full W10 OS from a link on the Microsoft website to DVD and installing that.
    Overall I'm happy with the OS.

I have the opportunity to buy a used Dell desktop machine but it's running W7. If I buy the desktop system I would (for the sake of domestic harmony) prefer to install W10. So, assuming the old laptop will no longer be in use, can I simply install W10 on
    the desktop machine from my DVD or do I have to jump through hoops? The desktop system is ex-corporate so I'm not sure whether I may get an option to upgrade to W10 when I put the machine online. I'd prefer not to have to buy a new copy of the OS, but I do
    want to remain legal. Your thoughts appreciated. Upgrading a corporate laptop to W10 :eek:)

Pidgeonpost, Jul 3, 2016
  3. peterjax Win User
    W8.1 pro upgrades to W10 Home

My laptop, running W8.1 pro was upgraded to W10, but the version is W10 Home. How can I revert back to W10 Pro? Why did it not upgrade to W10 Pro initially?

peterjax, Jul 3, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

I Upgraded 4 Win7 Pro Notebooks that came out of a company to Win10 Pro without issue but fortunately they were not running the Enterprise version of Win7. My understanding is that the Enterprise version does not qualify for the Free Upgrade in the same manner as the Home or Pro versions do, might check that out with Microsoft's site.

Berton, Jul 3, 2016
  5. striper Win User
    So the computer has W7 Professional installed.

Here are the spec:

4GB of ram. I'm assuming it's DDR2
    Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 @ 2.8
    I believe it has a SATA I interface which is very limiting......

Will W10 slow down this machine to the point where it's not worth it? I don't have a product key for this one. If I do the upgrade can I go back without having to reinstall W7?

striper, Jul 3, 2016
  6. showkey, will show you your key, https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html . You can do a Rollback in the first 30 days after upgrading. After 30 days a scheduled disk cleanup removes the windows.old folder and rollback won't work. At that point you need to reinstall 7 to go back.

alphanumeric, Jul 3, 2016
  7. striper Win User
    I use a program called magic jelly bean. It just shows all BBBBBBBBBBBBBB, etc. The computer was setup by a company. It has some software installed on it.

striper, Jul 4, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Is there a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker on it that has a Windows 7 product key printed on it?

NavyLCDR, Jul 4, 2016
  9. striper Win User
    It has a Windows Vista Business OEM sticker

striper, Jul 4, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    The BBBB's for the product key means it was installed with a Windows 7 volume license key purchased by that company and non-transferrable. Your legal option at the moment is to purchase a retail Windows 7, 8.1 or 10.

NavyLCDR, Jul 4, 2016
  11. striper Win User
    So what would happen if I accept the upgrade that windows is trying download?

Are you saying that technically I'm not legally able to use windows on this computer?

striper, Jul 4, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Don't know, you can try it. I would expect you would end up with a non-activated Windows 10.

All indications point to that conclusion.

NavyLCDR, Jul 4, 2016
  13. striper Win User

Okay thanks for the help. I'm tempted to try but I also have feeling it will reject the upgrade.

What about this idea. What if I swap the drive and then install Vista Business on the new drive with the old product key. Then I will upgrade Vista to 10.

striper, Jul 4, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can't upgrade Vista to Windows 10. Only Windows 7, 8, 8, 8.1 or 10.

NavyLCDR, Jul 4, 2016
  15. striper Win User
    Okay, thanks for the info. At least I didn't waste an hour trying.

striper, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrading a corporate laptop to W10 - Similar Threads - Upgrading corporate laptop

2. W10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 Upgrade: W10 Upgrade Failures: Upgrades 0xc fail every time and 20H2 always gets stuck at 61%. When I try the W Upgrade Assistant I get a message that it cannot instal as the automatic upgrade stuck at 61% is running.I have tried a few online suggestions but nothing seems to...
  3. W10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 Upgrade: W10 Upgrade Failures: Upgrades 0xc fail every time and 20H2 always gets stuck at 61%. When I try the W Upgrade Assistant I get a message that it cannot instal as the automatic upgrade stuck at 61% is running.I have tried a few online suggestions but nothing seems to...
  4. W10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Resetting old corporate laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Resetting old corporate laptop: A company in my area just had a going out of business sale and I bought an old laptop from them. It is loaded with windows 10 but requires admin privileges to do anything. What do I need to do to make this laptop useable as a personal laptop. submitted by /u/ekajdnarima...
  6. Upgrading W10 Home to W10 Pro

Upgrading W10 Home to W10 Pro: I bought a new PC and am attempting to upgrade from the W10 Home that came with the PC with a version of W10 Pro that I bought to upgrade my old PC but the new machine will not recognize the software on the flash drive containing the W10 Pro upgrade...
  7. Possible to upgrade this W10 Home laptop to Pro or Enterprise?

Possible to upgrade this W10 Home laptop to Pro or Enterprise?: I've been asked this by a friend, but I'm not familiar enough with 10 hardware to give him an answer. He's thinking of purchasing this laptop, but doesn't want 10 Home. It's an Acer Aspire 5 A515-54-749U Laptop 15.6". (The 749U may designate our NZ\AU market) The local...
  8. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  9. Ex-corporate PC upgraded from Vista to W10 will not activate Windows.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Ex-corporate PC upgraded from Vista to W10 will not activate Windows.: I purchased a PC advertised as Windows 10 from a favourite charity shop. It had been upgraded to Windows 10 from Vista and has a watermark in the bottom right of the screen, saying "Activate Windows, Go to settings to activate windows." I have found that this is an...
  10. replacing laptop HDD with SSD after W10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    replacing laptop HDD with SSD after W10 upgrade: replacing laptop HDD with SSD after W10 upgrade and activation If I clean install W10 to the new SSD, will Windows activate automatically..... thanks 45559