Windows 10: Upgrading a PC and Retail Keys

Discus and support Upgrading a PC and Retail Keys in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My current desktop PC started life with a Windows 8 Pro retail key and now has the latest version of Windows 10 activated by a digital key linked to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Steve C, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Steve C Win User

Upgrading a PC and Retail Keys

My current desktop PC started life with a Windows 8 Pro retail key and now has the latest version of Windows 10 activated by a digital key linked to my MS account.

I want to change the motherboard, CPU, memory & system drive with a clean install so I guess Windows 10 will not automatically activate. What are the essential steps to deactivate the key currently in use and ensure it activates using the new hardware?

:)

Steve C, Dec 31, 2020
  2. Steve C Win User

My current desktop PC started life with a Windows 8 Pro retail key and now has the latest version of Windows 10 activated by a digital key linked to my MS account.

I want to change the motherboard, CPU, memory & system drive with a clean install so I guess Windows 10 will not automatically activate. What are the essential steps to deactivate the key currently in use and ensure it activates using the new hardware?

Steve C, Dec 31, 2020
  3. ZenTsang Win User
    Transfer Win10 HOME Key (retail) to another PC after upgrading to PRO (retail)

As the subject line states...

I have 2 PCs. One with a HOME (retail) key and one with no key but is an older PC ... let say it currently has no OS. I want to upgrade this newer PC from HOME (retail) to PRO (retail). I have already retrieved the HOME key and saved into a text file. From
    my understanding, I go into System -> Change key and can put in the new PRO (retail) key to upgrade from HOME to PRO.

Once I do that... can I now use the HOME (retail) key on the older PC? Again... I keep stressing (retail) in this email because I fully understand that OEM keys / upgrades are retained for the PC they came installed on and are not transferable. However,
    both my HOME and PRO version are retail keys.

If the answer is YES ... please don't just say YES. Please provide the steps necessary to transfer the HOME key so I don't lose it accidentally.

Thanks.

ZenTsang, Dec 31, 2020
  4. Upgrading a PC and Retail Keys

Andre Da Costa, Dec 31, 2020
Thema:

1. Upgrading a PC and Retail Keys - Similar Threads - Upgrading Retail Keys

2. Reactivating a retail key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reactivating a retail key: Hello,In 2014, I obtained a retail windows 8.1 pro license key for my laptop. That laptop sadly died shortly after the end of the warranty period, roughly in 2017, and I bought a new laptop with an OEM-provided windows to replace it.I'm currently building a new computer and...
  3. Reactivating a retail key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reactivating a retail key: Hello,In 2014, I obtained a retail windows 8.1 pro license key for my laptop. That laptop sadly died shortly after the end of the warranty period, roughly in 2017, and I bought a new laptop with an OEM-provided windows to replace it.I'm currently building a new computer and...
  4. Transferring of Windows Retail Key from OLD PC to New PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring of Windows Retail Key from OLD PC to New PC: Hi there, I am having windows retail key installed in Old Laptop. Now I want to transfer windows key to newly procured desktop. Could you please help me to transfer the key to new PC to activate it. Regards Sameer M...
  5. Transfer Win10 HOME Key retail to another PC after upgrading to PRO retail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer Win10 HOME Key retail to another PC after upgrading to PRO retail: As the subject line states... I have 2 PCs. One with a HOME retail key and one with no key but is an older PC ... let say it currently has no OS. I want to upgrade this newer PC from HOME retail to PRO retail. I have already retrieved the HOME key and saved into a text...
  6. retail product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    retail product key: i like to if the product key sold by Bestbuy store is legit or a scam https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/retail-product-key/6bb8c0dc-a139-4344-a068-8d521fe0fd04
  7. Windows 10 upgrade applied to OEM key instead of retail key.

Windows 10 upgrade applied to OEM key instead of retail key.: I just purchased the "upgrade to windows 10 pro" for $100 on the Microsoft store, and during the process had to put in an activation key. After purchasing the upgrade, I was upset to learn that it applied the upgrade to an OEM copy of windows that I am running on my computer...
  8. OEm to Retail upgrade

OEm to Retail upgrade: i have a notebook that officialy installed windows 10 Home edition in it, with OEM license. so i can not move the windows to other device when this notebook is broken. if i upgrade it to Pro from Microsoft store, then does my Windows license will change to Retail "Full...
  9. Windows 10 Upgraded to Retail?

Windows 10 Upgraded to Retail?: I bought an 8.1 Home from WalMart so it's a retail package. Upgraded and loving it. However I am curious if I was to go back to Linux and virtualize windows 10 how would that work? I don't want to go through a whole reinstall process if it won't work and I'd have to go back...
  10. Help - Please UNCONFUSE me -- Licence and keys (Retail upgrade)

in Windows 10 Support
    Help - Please UNCONFUSE me -- Licence and keys (Retail upgrade): Hi there Upgraded to DIFFERENT machines from activated W8.1 Pro and W7 Ultimate. Checking versions with SLMGR /DLI I see the Windows partial product Key is the same - *********3V66T on both machines which I believe is the generic one but the PRODUCT ID is actually...