Windows 10: Upgrading a Senior to win 10 for free

Discus and support Upgrading a Senior to win 10 for free in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello folks, I'm a Senior male trying to help my neighbor who is even older than me. He stopped using his laptop after his wife died, so I thought with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Ramarty, Jan 27, 2022.

1. Ramarty Win User

Upgrading a Senior to win 10 for free

Hello folks, I'm a Senior male trying to help my neighbor who is even older than me. He stopped using his laptop after his wife died, so I thought with the little knowledge I have I would re set up his email. I found out he is still running Win 8. My question is, is there a way I can upgrade him to Win 10 for free, without having to do a clean install ? He's in his 80's, so he just need to be able to get on the internet, would be nice if I could get him on windows 10 where he could get updates.... I'll have to teach him that too..... Thanks for any help I can get.have a great day... Mart

:)

Ramarty, Jan 27, 2022
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Win 10 and Seniors

I can't agree with the idea that seniors are not a tech savvy generation. Why not? A senior is just as intelligent as a younger person. And a young person can be just as computer-illiterate as an older person.

The most valuable skill that a computer user of any age needs to have is the ability to backup. With regular backups, computer problems are an inconvenience but never a crisis.

With Windows 10 in particular, computer users of all ages need to learn how to avoid being upgraded to Windows 10. This knowledge is available on the web for you to teach. For most people, installing the GWX Control Panel or Never10 ends that problem for
    good.

So the one-two solution to avoid getting stuck with Windows 10 is:

• Restore a backup from before the upgrade.
    • Install the utility to avoid the upgrade.

It's time for seniors to stop convincing themselves - or letting other people convince them - that they're too old to learn.

BulldogXX, Jan 27, 2022
  3. gazoz Win User
    Win 10 upgrade

I am trying to upgrade the 2 PCs we use to tutor seniors in how to use Windows 10. Each time I try the upgrade I get error code: 0xC1900101 - 0x40017/

No hardware has changed since last Win 10 upgrade and all previous Win 10 upgrades went without a hitch with same hardware configuration. I have tried all suggestions I have found searching for error code. I have made 5 attempts to upgrade with suggestions.

Any other help/suggestions appreciated.

gazoz, Jan 27, 2022
  4. Richardpl Win User

Win 10 and Seniors

I provide a free service to Seniors to help solve their computer/software issues. Most only use their computers for email, occasional writing and picture/videos. Win 10 and microsoft policies for the way it upgrades have caused virtually a nightmare for
    these folks.

The amount of service money that these folks are forced to spend to solve what used to be minor problems is problematic. Admittedly, these folks tend not to read the fine print when they click on something. But Microsoft's sneaky methods to get them to
    click accept for Win10 is unethical. Give these folks an easy way to get back to their old, comfortable operating systems and leave Win 10 to the more tech savvy generation.

Richardpl, Jan 27, 2022
Thema:

1. Upgrading a Senior to win 10 for free - Similar Threads - Upgrading Senior free

2. free upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    free upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10: I bought a desktop having Win 8.1 years ago and it still run smoothly.I had free upgraded to Win 10 through Windows security updates when Microsoft announced on its web, but seems not good to use and recovered to Win 8.1 after using Win 10 for a while.Is there any free...
  3. free upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    free upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10: I bought a desktop having Win 8.1 years ago and it still run smoothly.I had free upgraded to Win 10 through Windows security updates when Microsoft announced on its web, but seems not good to use and recovered to Win 8.1 after using Win 10 for a while.Is there any free...
  4. Upgrading a Senior to win 10 for free

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading a Senior to win 10 for free: Hello folks, I'm a Senior male trying to help my neighbor who is even older than me. He stopped using his laptop after his wife died, so I thought with the little knowledge I have I would re set up his email. I found out he is still running Win 8. My question is, is there a...
  5. Upgrading a Senior to win 10 for free

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading a Senior to win 10 for free: Hello folks, I'm a Senior male trying to help my neighbor who is even older than me. He stopped using his laptop after his wife died, so I thought with the little knowledge I have I would re set up his email. I found out he is still running Win 8. My question is, is there a...
  6. Any good free beginner courses for a senior...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any good free beginner courses for a senior...: My dad bought a laptop but he isn't picking a lot of stuff up. Maybe it's me and he would learn better from a course. Are there ant basic free classes that teach the basics of using a computer. Bonus if it includes basic internet usage. submitted by /u/kernix [link]...
  7. Upgrade WIN 10 S Mode to WIN 10 [for free]

Upgrade WIN 10 S Mode to WIN 10 [for free]: Hello to All And apologies for the length of my first thread but I am hoping that I have given enough basic info to avoid responders having to ask questions. I have just popped over from the 7 Forum to seek, help, information and confirmation concerning the subject of...
  8. Upgrade WIN 10 S Mode to WIN 10[for free]

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade WIN 10 S Mode to WIN 10[for free]: Hello to All And apologies for the length of my first thread but I am hoping that I have given enough basic info to avoid responders having to ask questions. I have just popped over from the 7 Forum to seek, help, information and confirmation concerning the subject of...
  9. Free win 10 upgrade in the future?

Free win 10 upgrade in the future?: I have a PC with Windows7 and would like upgrade to Win 10. Will Microsoft offer free Win 10 upgrade in the future? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-win-10-upgrade-in-the-future/b66abe36-cadd-42f5-89c6-2f3152a74a9b
  10. Win 10 Free Upgrade

Win 10 Free Upgrade: I still have Win 8.1 Pro in one of my pc's. Is it too late to upgrade to Win 10 Pro for free. If so what would be the process.Win https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-free-upgrade/6c5b0473-a789-4832-918f-0579fdb5c9d2