Windows 10: Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE

Discus and support Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there If you want to do an inplace upgrade of W8 to W10 in a VMware Virtual Machine UNINSTALL VMWARE TOOLS before you do the upgrade and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Dec 11, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE

Hi there

If you want to do an inplace upgrade of W8 to W10 in a VMware Virtual Machine UNINSTALL VMWARE TOOLS before you do the upgrade and then re-install them afterwards.

Set the ISO image as your CD /DVD drive and simply run the setup from WITHIN the existing Virtual Machine --works fine --on an SSD - 7 Mins !! to complete the whole thing on an 8GB HP Laptop with a standard i5 in it. HOST is running Windows 7 enterprise x-64.

Clone your OLD VM first if you think you want to go back to W8/8.1 again.

This seems to fix some VM freezes especially when shutting down the VM. (WKS10 and 11).

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Dec 11, 2014
  2. mics1 Win User

Windows 10 - Black Screen upon boot-up, no cursor, ctrl+alt+del doesn't work.

After successful installation of Windows 10 Preview-Build 15002 (in a VM, VMware WS), I've started update of the actual patches. I don't know whether the update(s) were successful, but after restart of W10, I saw only the same as susancarr-2343.

It is nearly impossible. under this cicumstances, to get into save mode, as proposed earlyer.

Problem located but not fixed:

After clean install of W10 15002 and upgrade to Build 15007.rs_prerelease.170107-1846, the cause of my Problem is clear: It's vmware tools video driver (I still have WS 11.1.4).

Up to W10 1607 (Build 14393.693), the vmware tools video driver is working well.

mics1, Dec 11, 2014
  3. Win 10 upgrade is now being blocked due to "Get Windows 10" Fails due to VMWare SVGA 3D driver

Win 10 upgrade is now being blocked due to "Get Windows 10" Fails due to VMWare SVGA 3D driver on my Win 7 PRO VM's and my Win 8.1 VM's.

Initially it was a warning, but sometime later changed to FATAL error blocking Win 10 upgrade.

Original Title: VMWare Workstation 11 SVGA driver

Updated just in case someone reads a Vmware answer.

Jonas Grumby-IIXL, Dec 11, 2014
Thema:

Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE

1. Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE - Similar Threads - Upgrading W10 VMWARE

2. Vmware Workstation and W10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Vmware Workstation and W10: I am running W10.Can anyone suggest why I am having trouble using VMware on my class 3 Dell 5430 laptop running W10? I was able to install Vmware but when I tried to open it the next day it would not open. I was also unable to connect a USB 3.0 Flash Drive but I could connect...
  3. Upgraded laptop to W10 from W8, reset this PC won't complete

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgraded laptop to W10 from W8, reset this PC won't complete: I am trying to reset a laptop, removing all files and cleaning the drive. I get "There was a problem resetting your PC." Any ideas on how to remedy? Thanks....
  4. VM's using VMware on W10 Host with Storage Spaces randomly fail

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VM's using VMware on W10 Host with Storage Spaces randomly fail: Hi folks Running some VM's on W10 Host (x-64 PRO) with VMware workstation Rel 14 I get random failures if the VM's are on storage spaces. The same VM's work perfectly when on external SSD's or internal standard (non Storage space area) HDD's. The failures are seemingly...
  5. Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts

Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts: Hi there This seems to work fine for Windows 10 VM's on some Linux Hosts. 1) Uninstall VMware tools on the VM - shut down but don't re-power on 2) uninstall open-vm-tools on your HOST machine - typically as root or sudo yum autoremove open-vm-tools or whatever it is in...
  6. VMWare Player - install as W8 or install later?

VMWare Player - install as W8 or install later?: I have W10 Eng 32 bit and latest VMPlayer. I tried installling as W8. It works but vmware tools are messed up. I have other vms with tools already installed. It seems to detect them after I get W10 desktop. Also it never asks me for the product ID. Are you guys installing...
  7. VMWare VM in Hpyer V

VMWare VM in Hpyer V: HI Folks, Here is one of those really silly questions. . .*Smile,can you use a VM created with VMWare with Hyper V. Just wondering since MS doesn't want Hyper V and VMWare working together on the same OS. . .bummer. . .*Tongue 43374
  8. Create W10 VM of your RUNNING machine (VMWARE)

Create W10 VM of your RUNNING machine (VMWARE): Hi there An easy way of creating a W10 VM (or any other OS) of your RUNNING machine is simply to start up the VMWARE CONVERTER. You need to be in administrator mode. Configure the target machine, - unclick DATA drives if you just want to start with creating the system....
  9. Clean install w10 from w8

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install w10 from w8: Hi guys, I'm stuck at a point where I cant go back nor proceed further, please assist me.. My scenario is i tried clean installation of w10 but as my partition is in GPT format it is not accepting, what I did as a mistake is I formatted the drive having w8, now my pc isnt...
  10. W10 screen snap like W8

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 screen snap like W8: Hi I've just upgraded my laptop to W10 from W8. What I used to do on W8 is say watch the FilmOn app on the right hand side of the screen and use the left hand side to do everything else - outlook, chrome, word, excel...any desktop software. I'd flick between them and the...