Windows 10: Upgrading D (Data) HDD

Discus and support Upgrading D (Data) HDD in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Greetings. I recently purchased a 2 TB HDD to upgrade from my rapidly filling 1 TB Data drive. My set up is I have Windows installed on a separate SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by bug67, Mar 8, 2020.

1. bug67 Win User

Upgrading D (Data) HDD

Greetings.

I recently purchased a 2 TB HDD to upgrade from my rapidly filling 1 TB Data drive. My set up is I have Windows installed on a separate SSD (C). I am wondering if its just a matter of dragging and dropping the data on the 1 TB drive to the new 2 TB drive or do I need to clone it? The D (Data) drive is where I install my games, photos, videos, music, etc. System info below. Thanks.

Windows 10 Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.693)
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660
    MB: ROG STRIX B450-F BIOS VER: 3003
    RAM: 16 GB GDDR 4 @ 3200 MHz
    Boot Drive (C): Intel SSD (250 GB)
    Data Drive (D): WDC (1TB)

:)

bug67, Mar 8, 2020
  2. JLB
    JLB Win User

Move user folder loc'n: pls confirm - pgms will store data on d:\ HDD

Dell laptop, Win10Pro, c:\ SSD 100GB, d:\ HDD 900GB

Before I follow Kari's step-by-step tutorial:

I just want someone to confirm that after I have run Kari's tutorial all (or almost all) programs will, in future, store data only on d:\ on a go-forward basis.

Thanks

3. Bross76 Win User
    All data from Drive D:/ disappeared or is not recognized

Hello everyone

I am using a ASUS ROG laptop with two drives: a SSD "C:/" called "OS" and a HDD "D:/" called DATA.

After uninstalling 4 or 5 games from my laptop (properly, using the Applications list to uninstall), all my games, music, pictures, etc stored on drive D (DATA) suddenly looked to have disappeared. Steam is still working but all games show as uninstalled, Origin isn't even working at all anymore, all my music, videos etc can't be found and played anymore.

When trying to play a mp3 from "recent files", it says that drive D is not available and the file can't be found.

Drive D is still visible and can be opened but it appears almost empty, which shouldn't be the case. I think all my data is still there but can't be seen. I can still see all my Origin and Steam games in the Apllications list. It's like the data is not available or recognized anymore. The laptop runs fine (fast, no weird noises, no system error).

Any suggestion? Thanks a lot!

Bross76, Mar 8, 2020
  4. Kem Mon Win User

Upgrading D (Data) HDD

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Mar 8, 2020
Thema:

Upgrading D (Data) HDD

1. Upgrading D (Data) HDD - Similar Threads - Upgrading Data HDD

2. How to recover my data from ReFs HDD data failure which give this message "D:\ is not...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to recover my data from ReFs HDD data failure which give this message "D:\ is not...: I'm using new SSD HD drive formated as ReFs for just one month, unfortunately today I fot forrowing error message and can't access my data:1- Event ID 133: The file system detected a checksum error and was not able to correct it. The name of the file or folder is "Object ID...
  3. Data HDD

Data HDD: Hi AllI am building a new PC Win 10 and have fitted an SSD boot drive. I will also install a data drive for my various applications etc.As a relative newby to this how do I install my apps onto the new pc? Using photoshop as an example the default installation with be...
  4. Data HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data HDD: Hi AllI am building a new PC Win 10 and have fitted an SSD boot drive. I will also install a data drive for my various applications etc.As a relative newby to this how do I install my apps onto the new pc? Using photoshop as an example the default installation with be...
  5. Data HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Data copy to hdd and the data not visible

Data copy to hdd and the data not visible: Hello I have one problem. I have windows 10 2 same computer. WIn 10 Prof. All update setup. When i copy a file to hdd on the first computer, and i take the hdd to another PC, my copyed file not visible on the hdd. When i take a data recovery software to the hdd, the data...
  7. Copy data from HDD to HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy data from HDD to HDD: I need to copy 1.5TB of data (audio/video) onto a new 4TB drive and wondered if anyone had recommendations. I need to keep the data on the source drive. Free is good. I did read a post here that suggested Robocopy, but that seems a bit daunting for an old fogie like me....
  8. Upgrade PC without losing my HDD data

Upgrade PC without losing my HDD data: Hi! I've bought all the components for my new PC but I want to keep the things that I already have in my hard drive disk. Between the new components, there is an M.2 of 250 Gb and I want to install the operating system there. I've heard about making partitions of my HDD and...
  9. Data D Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Data D Drive: My computer has relatively low storage space. My computer shows me that under "storage on other devices" an internal drive has 920 GB of storage. I am trying to move Steam apps to this drive but I have no way of doing this. I have no way to send the applications to the other...
  10. D:\... is unavailable (My Secondary HDD for Data)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    D:\... is unavailable (My Secondary HDD for Data): Hello everyone, I have a SSD (C drive for programs) and an HDD (D drive for documents). My HDD is circa 5 years old and until yesterday it ran without problems. It didn't even become noticeable slower for me. Now I get the following error trying to access it: [img]...