Windows 10: Upgrading from 7 and hardware change

Discus and support Upgrading from 7 and hardware change in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi experts, Please give me some advice on the best upgrade path for my system Currently running win7 on an AMD CPU/Gigabyte motherboard. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by flamer, Jan 22, 2018.

1. flamer Win User

Upgrading from 7 and hardware change

Hi experts,

Please give me some advice on the best upgrade path for my system

Currently running win7 on an AMD CPU/Gigabyte motherboard.
    I have Win7 installed on an SSD which is of course the boot device, and my user profiles are mapped to a second HDD where most of my applications and files are stored.

I have purchased a new Intel CPU and Gigabyte Motherboard. From my reading, it seems a re-install will be required since win7 needs to update drivers etc.

So I thought I might as well upgrade to win10 while I am at it.

Should I upgrade now to Win10, (does win10 upgrade path support multiple HDD's? ie will it break my system) and then repair install win10 after the hardware is changed? Will I keep everything by doing so?

I know I should just clean install win10 after changing the hardware, but my secondary drive is 4TB and 90% used with a lot of applications installed which will take me a very long time to re-install them all as the registry strings will be lost.

TIA

:)

flamer, Jan 22, 2018

2. Upgrade from windows 7 to 10 with total change of hardware

That’s a lot of information you have presented me with and I want to make sure I understand.

If I am understanding I can upgrade my current PC and then use the “media creation tool” to make a USB that I can clean install Windows 10 on my new computer with my Windows 7 activation code?

Nick P. Harbinger, Jan 22, 2018
  3. Upgrade from windows 7 to 10 with total change of hardware

Hello Nick,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community and providing us with the detailed description about the issue.

As per the description, I understand that you want to install windows 10 on the system.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

To download Windows 10, I would suggest you to refer to the article given below and check if that helps.

Download Windows 10

Download Windows 10

If you wish to perform a clean installation of Windows 10, I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by
    “Andre Da Costa” replied on January 27, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link.

How to: Do a clean install of Windows 10

How to: Perform a Clean Install or Reinstall of Windows 10

Also, I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by
    “Andre Da Costa” replied on January 26, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link.

How to Activate and resolve common Product Key issues in Windows 10

How to troubleshoot Product Activation in Windows 10

For more Information:

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by
    “Andre Da Costa” replied on January 22, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link.

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant

Jayant Gupta, Jan 22, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, a few points that occur briefly:

1. the best - most robust- structure for Win 10 is EFI with GPT formatted disks. Your Win 7 build will be legacy BIOS.
    Consider what you want to run with into the future.
    2. A clean install is most likely to give the most reliable outcome, however there are, as you know, other ways to get from A to B.
    3. You could consider using a 3rd party solution so you can
    - clean install Win 10
    - transfer automatically your installed progams (with most of them registered correctly).

Laplink PCMover is great at doing this, albeit there's a one-time license fee.

4. Before making any change, make sure you have a current disk image (we constantly urge people to use disk imaging routinely). E.g. Macrium Reflect (free). This protects you in the event of disaster.

Also, given a disk image, there is (or was) a cheaper Laplink option which is also more convenient which makes use of that disk image.

5. When you install Win 10, you of course get a whole new set of drivers. It may be that trying to run Win 7 on your new hardware is not fully supported.

6. If your start menu is deeply nested (3+ folders deep) then no win 10 style menu will express it properly. This is significant as you say you have many programs installed. What happens is that the lower folders are not shown in the start menu, and the shortcuts simply listed in alpha order. Think 'Help Help Help Help' - where each one is from a different program.

The solution:
    a. was/is Classic Shell start menu (free)- which is still great, but now no longer developed
    b. one of the other 3rd party menus, but don't choose Win 10 emulation (same problem).

7. Officially the free upgrade period is over. However some have still reported success.

Hope that gives you a few more ideas and I'm sure others will add further significant comments.

dalchina, Jan 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrading from 7 and hardware change - Similar Threads - Upgrading hardware change

2. hardware change lost upgrade to pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hardware change lost upgrade to pro: I sent my laptop in for repair and the motherboard was replaced. They reset windows to Windows 10 Home. I had upgraded to Windows 10 Pro then to 11. Now I can not get it to install without purchasing a new copy. There has to be an easy fix to this. It must happen fairly...
  3. hardware change lost upgrade to pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    hardware change lost upgrade to pro: I sent my laptop in for repair and the motherboard was replaced. They reset windows to Windows 10 Home. I had upgraded to Windows 10 Pro then to 11. Now I can not get it to install without purchasing a new copy. There has to be an easy fix to this. It must happen fairly...
  4. Reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change and upgraded from Windows 7

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change and upgraded from Windows 7: Hi,I've recently changed the motherboard and CPU of my computer and I'm now being asked to reactivate my account error code 0xC004F211. The problem is that I upgraded from Windows 7 and don't have an activation key for Windows 10. I also didn't have a Microsoft account linked...
  5. Dreaded Windows 10 Activation Issues after hardware change after free upgrade from 7

Dreaded Windows 10 Activation Issues after hardware change after free upgrade from 7: Probably the millionth time someone has had this problem and its still a mess so here we go lol Title sums it up. My understanding was I had a digital activation key. I found the guides for this kind of reactivation and thought I did everything I was supposed to do but ran...
  6. Windows 7 - upgrade to Window 10 - Hardware change

Windows 7 - upgrade to Window 10 - Hardware change: The Saga: Windows 7 upgraded to windows 10, activated! Then later motherboard brakes and new motherboard is bought and installed. Now its impossible to activate windows again. We know now that the key is bound with the motherboard in the computer. But not my problem or...
  7. Intermittent BSOD after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, no hardware changes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Intermittent BSOD after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, no hardware changes: Hey everybody, hoping to see if anyone can help me out here. I upgraded my PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 just a month ago and since then I've been getting and intermittent BSOD with the stopcode CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED every time it happens. It doesn't seem to be related to...
  8. Failure to activate Windows 10 (Upgrade from Windows 7) after hardware change.

Failure to activate Windows 10 (Upgrade from Windows 7) after hardware change.: Hello, I bought Windows 7 Ultimate (retail from Amazon UK) on 22 March 2011 and took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro in 2015. I have reinstalled numerous times over the years, including a CPU/motherboard/SSD hardware change in 2016. Every time I have...
  9. Upgrade problems related to a hardware change

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade problems related to a hardware change: I think I've figured out what my upgrade problem is caused by. I stopped get new Insider Builds and could not change some settings (grayed out). This started when I upgraded my Samsung SSD from 128GB to 256GB and then restored the Windows 10 to the 256. There seems to be...
  10. Hardware change during upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hardware change during upgrade: Hi Over the weekend, I carried out the free upgrade to Windows 10, followed by a clean install. This was on a laptop with the manufacturers OEM licence, and it all worked fine, with Windows 10 being activated correctly after the clean install. I plan on carrying this...