Windows 10: Upgrading from v1803 to 1809 -- BEWARE! NOT A QUESTION--MORE OF A STATEMENT

Discus and support Upgrading from v1803 to 1809 -- BEWARE! NOT A QUESTION--MORE OF A STATEMENT in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Just wanted to let it be known that a machine we own did the v1809 update on Sunday morning (1/20/19…early) and deleted all of the data files on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HenWin, Jan 26, 2019.

1. HenWin Win User

Upgrading from v1803 to 1809 -- BEWARE! NOT A QUESTION--MORE OF A STATEMENT

Just wanted to let it be known that a machine we own did the v1809 update on Sunday morning (1/20/19…early) and deleted all of the data files on the machine's D: drive AND unformatted the drive. How that can happen is beyond me, but I’m no expert on drive formatting. The drive is a Micron 256GB SSD.

When we got up Sunday, we found the message saying that D: needed to be reformatted (it’s partition #1 on the SSD), I decided not to do anything (though I did check the external backup drive and all files seemed to be there). I took the machine to its builder and they checked it and found the drive to be OK, other than it's D: partition was unformatted. They tested the drive, using Hard Drive Sentinel and said the drive was in excellent condition. I picked it up Tuesday, brought it home, formatted D: and restored the data. All seems to be fine now.

But you can bet that had my wife lost all of her data, she would have wanted to sue MS. She might have drunk the Kool-Aid and gone out and bought a Mac, though under her circumstances that really wouldn't have solved anything.

Bottom line: before you allow Windows to update itself from 1803 to 1809 make sure THE MACHINE IS BACKED UP!

:)

HenWin, Jan 26, 2019
  2. E.Swaff Win User

I cannot update my Surface Pro 6 to Windows 10 1809

I just upgraded my Surface Pro to Windows 10 build 1809.
    Here are the steps I did:

1. Open your web browser and go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and click "Download tool now".
    2. Double-click on the MediaCreationTool1809.exe file you've downloaded.
    3. Agree the license terms.
    4. Select the "Upgrade this PC now" option and click Next.
    5. Just wait to complete the upgrade process.

E.Swaff, Jan 26, 2019
  3. Power Hibernate Option Stops Working Correctly after Win10 1809 Upgrade

Hi Nikhar Khare,

Many thanks for taking the time to look into the problem.

To answer your questions:

• Is this happening all the time or is it intermittent? A: It has been happening all time ever the first boot-up since the Ver 1809 upgrade whenever the PC was turned hibernate either by Home key > power logo> Hibernate or by pressing
      the power button (which was set as hibernate. The hibernate function worked well up until last boot-up before the upgrade.
    • What is the make and model of your computer? A:
      The PC is a Dell Inspiron laptop. OS is Win 10 Home V1809 64-bit Build 17763.1
    Execution of your suggested solution protocol did not solve the problem.

Hopefully you can suggest other solutions for trying.

Regards!

JamesYoung888, Jan 26, 2019
  4. Sasqui Win User

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas (& Upgrade!)

Dear Santa,

I want to upgrade my primary PC this year, my MB/CPU is almost 5 years old now, and I've got the upgrade itch.

It's going to be built around an unlocked Ivy Bridge CPU, namely the 3770k

But first, I've got a few questions for you:

• What chipsets support that CPU? I think the X79 and X77?
    • Is the 3770k going to be replaced with a better model, better stepping, etc in 2012 or early 2013?
    Oh and is the world going to end in Dec 2012?

Thx,
    Little Johnny

Sasqui, Jan 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Upgrading from v1803 to 1809 -- BEWARE! NOT A QUESTION--MORE OF A STATEMENT - Similar Threads - Upgrading v1803 1809

2. Perhaps this is Make a Statement vs " Ask a Question "

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Perhaps this is Make a Statement vs " Ask a Question ": However I do understand that looks more like a community forum than an official MS " Let US MS help our customers who have some degree of impairment that makes actions which at another time in MY life finding me volunteering thru my Computer Club <----like all extinct animals...
  3. Perhaps this is Make a Statement vs " Ask a Question "

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Perhaps this is Make a Statement vs " Ask a Question ": However I do understand that looks more like a community forum than an official MS " Let US MS help our customers who have some degree of impairment that makes actions which at another time in MY life finding me volunteering thru my Computer Club <----like all extinct animals...
  4. Can't upgrade from 1809

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't upgrade from 1809: Have a Dell Inspiron 3650 that my customer has never been able to do the updates to the new Windows version. Now is Version 1809. Update fails with this message: "What needs your attention The following things need your attention...... This PC cannot be upgraded to Windows...
  5. Upgrade to version 1809 from 1709

Upgrade to version 1809 from 1709: I currently have windows 10 version 1709 and i wnat to upgrade to 1809 but i dont know how to install it if I can. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-to-version-1809-from-1709/35359f03-daee-44c7-8958-977e15869e22
  6. Not a question - a statement.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Not a question - a statement.: The system tray icon shows that Windows 10 is connected to my network, but there is no internet connection. On the other hand, I can ping any web site, and Firefox IS connected to the internet, and can browse to all web sites. The upshot is that altho' I can connect to the...
  7. Wishing to upgrade from 1809 to 1903

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wishing to upgrade from 1809 to 1903: So as in title I'm on windows 1809 right now and wish to use the xbox game pass feature this means updating my windows to 1903. However, when i go to settings -> check for updates, it says my system is up to date (which is wrong). Have restarted multiple times and used the...
  8. Cannot Upgrade from 1809

Cannot Upgrade from 1809: I've tried upgrading from 1809 to 1903 and 1909, but no joy - the setip freezes during reboot and reverts. I'd done all the (obvious) checks recommended in this forum, but nothing works - where can I go from here? Many Thanks, P...
  9. Upgrade from v1803 to 1809 with BitLocker?

Upgrade from v1803 to 1809 with BitLocker?: At the moment, I am planning to hold off on v1809 since there are some issues with this version. Anyways, once the time comes that I decide and go ahead with this feature upgrade (or any feature upgrade), will BitLocker ask for the Recovery Key during the upgrade process? Do...
  10. 1809 Installation Questions

1809 Installation Questions: I bought Windows Pro back in the day when 8 came to a sudden end and 8.1 came out with the message that if you wanted a DVD Player, you needed the PRO version. Now, anyone who knows computers knows that I am just an old man who doesn't need the PRO version of Windows at all!...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to update to 1809 surface pro 6