Windows 10: Upgrading from W7 to W10 stops then grey screen....HELP!!

Discus and support Upgrading from W7 to W10 stops then grey screen....HELP!! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Started the update on my dell Inspiron. It said everything was compatible. This install started then all I got was the Windows 10 icon with the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Richksales, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Upgrading from W7 to W10 stops then grey screen....HELP!!

Started the update on my dell Inspiron. It said everything was compatible. This install started then all I got was the Windows 10 icon with the spinning circle then the grey screen. Can't do anything from there went into safe mode and can do nothing can't reset to former os nothing. Can someone direct me to a MS site or help me before I trash the laptop.

:)

Richksales, Jun 23, 2016

2. Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10

When trying to upgrade from W7 to W10 I get the error 80072F78 and it stops the upgrading. What should I do?

ArmandoBrons, Jun 23, 2016
  3. Windows 10 upgrade - black screen

Original title: Windows 10 upgrade

While upgrading from w7 to w10, computer hung up during one of the restarts. Waited for a day, tried to restart, now I have nothing but a black screen. No OS. Is there anything that can be done to recover w7, or continue upgrade of w10?

Thanks Rick

RickTewell, Jun 23, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Upgrading from W7 to W10 stops then grey screen....HELP!!

Hi Richksales and welcome to Tenforums.
    Sorry to hear of your problems with the upgrade. Do you have your data backed up?
    I think you would be best with a clean install at this point. If you have access to a working computer, you can download the install media following this tutorial:
    USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

If you need to copy your data off the drive first, you can boot to Kyhi's custom recovery media, open File Explorer and copy your files to another drive.
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

It also has a program on there called ShowkeyPlus, which will help you grab your OS key code, if you don't have it. The W7 key can be used on a clean install to activate W10.

Good luck and please ask if you have any questions.

simrick, Jun 24, 2016
Thema:

Upgrading from W7 to W10 stops then grey screen....HELP!!

1. Upgrading from W7 to W10 stops then grey screen....HELP!! - Similar Threads - Upgrading W10 stops

2. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  3. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  4. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgrading from W7 to W10

Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  6. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  7. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  8. Locked out after upgrade to W10 from W7

Locked out after upgrade to W10 from W7: Hello. Need help urgently. Have been locked out after upgrading from W7 to W10. No Microsoft account. Please help. 17346
  9. Upgraded from W7 Pro, and got W10 Home...

Upgraded from W7 Pro, and got W10 Home...: Hi all, Done a fair bit of searching and my problem seems to be fairly unique. Long story short, I had W10 Home installed, formatted and installed an unused copy of W7 Pro, used the W10 Upgrade Assistant to upgrade to W10 again expecting to then have W10 Pro, but it still...
  10. Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10

Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10: Having a nightmare trying to do this. The PC has an SSD with C: and D: on. C: has Windows and programs that don't offer a choice of where to install, D: has my Lightroom Catalogue and programs which offer a choice. C: has 25.4 of 94.6 GN free, D: has 4.57 of 17GB free. It...