Windows 10: Upgrading from Win7 to Win10, a hard drive question

Discus and support Upgrading from Win7 to Win10, a hard drive question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an old PC running Win7 that cannot be upgraded to 10 because of the BIOS not supporting Win10.I have purchased another PC with Win10 installed,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by clif9711, Aug 10, 2021.

1. clif9711 Win User

Upgrading from Win7 to Win10, a hard drive question

I have an old PC running Win7 that cannot be upgraded to 10 because of the BIOS not supporting Win10.I have purchased another PC with Win10 installed, so the new PC BIOS is Win10 compatible.I'd like to be able to avoid having to reinstall all the software that I have on my Win7 drive.I was hoping I could take the old Win7 drive, put it in the new PC and then upgrade to Win10, allowing me to still use all the software I had been using with Win7, but when I try this I am flagged that the drive is not bootable.Is there any way I can make the old Win7 drive bootable in the new PC so I can do an up

:)

clif9711, Aug 10, 2021
  2. Tim B285 Win User

Win10 on new hard drive, how to activate

• Installed Win10 to new hard drive, but Win7 code does not work.
    • Tried online (slui.exe 4) activation:
      • entered numeric codes online - which failed,
      • talked to 1st line tech who entered Win7 code - did not work,
      • transferred me to 2nd line tech and no one came on the phone line after 2.5 hours.

Win7 was pre-installed on HP computer with no media provided and HP support has no process to supply replacement media or ISO (last HP purchase). Tried to install Win7 to new drive using Recovery Disks I created, but it could not find system image.

Not willing to return to old hard drive as the new one has SSD and is at least 3 (7?) times faster.

QUESTION 1: Is my only option now to buy either Win7 or Win10?

QUESTION 2: Without activation, when will Win10 no longer boot? If 12 months, I can retry online activation later.

Tim B285, Aug 10, 2021
  3. Re-install Win10 on a free upgrade from Win7 computer with crashed Harddrive

My hard drive crashed, and I need to reinstall Windows on a new hard drive.

I've got a Win7 license and used the free upgrade to Win10.

1. Is it possible to reinstall?

I'm uncertain about the process:
    2. Should I download Win7 with another computer? if so, where?
    3. ..and then put it on a USB? if so, wher?
    4. ..and then install it on my new hard drive?
    5. When do I put in the Product Key?
    6. When do I upgrade to Win10? and how?
    Please let me know how to go about this.

Regards

/Lars

LarsEriksson3, Aug 10, 2021
  4. GL-FL Win User

Win10 (upgraded from win7) hard drive failed, Win10 upgrade no longer available... Now what?

Short and sweet

1) Upgraded dell desktop from Win7pro to Win10pro

2) Hard drive began to fail (click of death!)

3) Managed to grab my Win10 key from the failing HD (ProduKey - Recover lost product key (CD-Key) of Windows/MS-Office/SQL Server)

4) Installed win7 from dell win7 cd

5) Win10 upgrade no longer available... um.....

What now?

Thanks for reading! E>

GL-FL, Aug 10, 2021
Thema:

1. Upgrading from Win7 to Win10, a hard drive question - Similar Threads - Upgrading Win7 Win10

2. problem upgrade from win7 to win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problem upgrade from win7 to win10: Install of Windows 10 fails in SAFE_OS during REPLICATE_OC 0x8007001F - 0x20006 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-upgrade-from-win7-to-win10/786ad7bb-b0d8-4a6f-81c1-7898c27765d8
  3. problem upgrade from win7 to win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problem upgrade from win7 to win10: Install of Windows 10 fails in SAFE_OS during REPLICATE_OC 0x8007001F - 0x20006 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-upgrade-from-win7-to-win10/786ad7bb-b0d8-4a6f-81c1-7898c27765d8
  4. Hard drive with Win10 keeps crashing to hard drive with Win7

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive with Win10 keeps crashing to hard drive with Win7: Hello, I'm not sure if this is even a Windows issue but I thought I'd try to see if maybe anyone can shed some insight as to what the heck is going on with my computer! I have a HDD with Win7 installed and as a partition from way back when. I've since gotten a SSD with...
  5. upgrade problems from win7 to win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade problems from win7 to win10: Hi, Having some issues upgrading a windows 7 system to windows 10. Ran the MS upgrade using mediacreationtool1909.exe on an older AMD processor (Athlon II X2 250 3.00ghz 32 bit) and the supporting motherboard, no other devices. It ran for awhile and then failed with this...
  6. upgrading from win7 to win10

upgrading from win7 to win10: I can't find HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager to uninstall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win7-to-win10/f289a046-d68b-471b-8f6f-de8ed5ccafa6
  7. Retrying win10 upgrade from win7

Retrying win10 upgrade from win7: I accidently downloaded and tried to install the 32 bit version. My system is 64 bit. The download/install goes through the steps until it gets to 27%. I've tried three times It stops the install and resets the system back to win7. The error code is "0x8007005-0x2000A...
  8. revert from Win10 upgrade to Win7

revert from Win10 upgrade to Win7: This is essentially a FYI post. I recently decided to upgrade from my Win7 pro to Win10 pro because I got an announcement that one of my programs (TurboTax) would not install or run on Win7 next year. I did this using some links / tutorials in this forum. They were pretty...
  9. Upgrading from win7 to win10

Upgrading from win7 to win10: Hello, I have 4 PCs; I was able to upgrade 3, but the fourth one the desktop I couldn't upgrade it. I followed all the workarounds and solution were offered I downloaded the Windows Creation Tool and still cannot update. What should I do? 13716
  10. Questions About Upgrading: Win7 -> Win10

Questions About Upgrading: Win7 -> Win10: I'm thinking of upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but I have a few questions regarding the process and result. Essentially, my questions revolve around if I should be expecting that all my settings, applications, and documents remain identical after the upgrade process?...