Windows 10: Upgrading from Win7 to Win10 - on a dual-boot laptop

Discus and support Upgrading from Win7 to Win10 - on a dual-boot laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is probably an unfair question to ask in this forum. But given the depth of expertise, someone might have advice to offer! I have recently done... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by br1anstorm, May 5, 2021.

1. Upgrading from Win7 to Win10 - on a dual-boot laptop

This is probably an unfair question to ask in this forum. But given the depth of expertise, someone might have advice to offer! I have recently done successful clean installs and activations of Win 10 with the help of Shawn Brink's tutorials and advice from other forum members. I also have a laptop which has Win 7 Pro installed, along with Linux Mint in a dual boot setup. Both in Legacy/BIOS mode. I am using what seems to be a less-typical option for dual-booting. The normal [Linux] approach is to have the Linux bootloader "GRUB" take over from, and replace, the Windows boot manager in the MBR, and boot either OS. The hazard with this is that any Windows upgrade which affects the Windows boot manager will fail, and perhaps also affect the GRUB - potentially rendering both systems unbootable. But there is another way. A clever program called EasyBCD can be installed in Windows. It modifies the Windows bootloader so that it can "see" the Linux OS on a separate partition and offer the option to boot into it. It works well. I would now like to upgrade the Win7 to Win10. In theory, it seems that I can do an in-place upgrade (I've read the tutorial...). This is supposed to preserve all existing files, apps and settings in Win7 and move them onward to the Win 10 install. The main exception seems to be third-party AV programs, which need to be removed from Win7 and then reinstalled in Win10 after the upgrade. Now here is my question. Will an in-place upgrade of Win 7 keep, and transfer, my EasyBCD program and settings - and the changes it has made to the Windows bootloader to enable dual boot with Linux - to Win 10? The simple answer may be I won't know till I try, and the upgrade process will, or should, alert me - before it runs - if EasyBCD (like AV programs) won't play nicely. But I'd be curious to know if anyone else who dual-boots in this way has successfully run the Win7 to Win10 upgrade. I have posted in the EasyBCD forum as well, but it's not very busy.....

:)

br1anstorm, May 5, 2021
  2. JintoKL Win User

Dual Boot Upgrade Q: Win7 and Win10 Preview

I currently have a dual boot with Win7 Pro and Win10 Preview. Now, as I understand, to keep both win7 and Win10, I need to purchase a new license for Win10 as the separate partition installation is not eligible for free upgrade program.

So, I'm planning to upgrade my Win7 itself. Does anyone try this? I'm not sure how it is going to work after the upgrade? Am I going to have Win10 (New, Release version) and Win10 Preview?

If thats the case, how can I remove the Win10 preview installation? It doesnt make any sense to have the Preview version if I have the Release version on the other boot

Thanks in advance..

JintoKL, May 5, 2021
  3. Coxwain Win User
    WIN10 /WIN7 Dual boot, WIN7 forced to upgrade to win10, now I can only boot to Primary WIN10 drive

I have a WIN10 install on a 256 SSD (DRIVE 2)

and had a win7 install on a 1tb WD Black HD (DRIVE 5)

My primary boot was WIN10 (D2) and always had the option of picking wich drive to boot to on start up.

I was recently forced to upgrade my WIN7 (D5) to WIN 10. It completed the update and I was using the opperating system on my 1 tb HD and it was working fine. Then I shut off the computer and came back about 4 days later and I couldnt boot to my second
    win10 install. (there may have been an update to the win10 before I shut it down)

I went into boot up options and selected the 2nd win10(win7) Drive 5 as primary boot and it reverted back to the original win 10(drive 2) boot.

What is the best way to have a dual boot win10 system and how can I change my boot up options so that I can continue to choose the boot up drive?

WIthout a doubt the upgrade Win7 drive is still there and can be used, but there must be a boot settings that is preventing it from being accessed.

If i am not allowed to have a dual boot WIN10/Win10 machine, can I revert back to WIN7 on the upgraded drive?

Also, original WIN10 install was from a win8 upgrade, 2nd one is from a win7 upgrade, both fully registered versions of WINdows.

Much apprecaited

Coxwain, May 5, 2021
  4. Jonas_DK Win User

Upgrading from Win7 to Win10 - on a dual-boot laptop

Is there any way to install Win7 after Win10 for dual boot?

Original Title: Dual boot Win7 second too Win10

Hi,

Is there any way to install Win7 after Win10 for dual boot?

I don't want to reinstall in order to do it. If i have to reinstall, my laptop will not see Win10 again.

Regards Jonas

Jonas_DK, May 5, 2021
Thema:

Upgrading from Win7 to Win10 - on a dual-boot laptop

1. Upgrading from Win7 to Win10 - on a dual-boot laptop - Similar Threads - Upgrading Win7 Win10

2. upgrading from win7 to win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrading from win7 to win10: I can't find HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager to uninstall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win7-to-win10/f289a046-d68b-471b-8f6f-de8ed5ccafa6
  3. win10/win7 dual boot (hardware option)

win10/win7 dual boot (hardware option): On my desktop I am using ICY DOCK SSD cage for my OS: MB322SP-B_ExpressCage_2.5" HDD/SSD CAGES_ICY DOCK manufacturer Removable enclosure, Screwless hard drive enclosure, SAS SATA Mobile Rack, DVR Surveillance Recording, Video Audio Editing, SATA portable hard drive enclosure...
  4. Dual boot Win10 Win7

Dual boot Win10 Win7: Hi, Some time ago I bought a new laptop with Win10 pre-installed on it and have been trying to make my old programs work with this OS. I've found solutions for most of them but for a couple (a database and some old games) it doesn't seem possible to make them run on Win10....
  5. Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade

Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade: Just wondering if this can be done or would I be opening a can of worms. I recently did the Win7 to Win10 upgrade. All is fine. The Win7 was OEM and I have the 4 OEM disks that came with the PC. Is it possible now to reinstall Win7 on a new partition on my C drive, using...
  6. Win10+Win7 dual boot issue

Win10+Win7 dual boot issue: Dear all, I hope I have not missed a thread with a similar problem: I had Win10 installed on drive C: with the boot loader on drive D: (where I previously had my old Win10 installation). I wanted to add Win7 to my PC and formated drive D: - I totally forgot that I had the...
  7. Dual Boot Win7/Win10

Dual Boot Win7/Win10: Reloaded factory software on Dell XPS laptop Win7. Created additional partition for Win10. Installed Win10 iso from boot to the separate partition. Previously labeled C drive as Win7 and D drive as Win10. Default boot is Win7. Works fine. On the boot screen I choose Win10....
  8. Dual Boot on Win7 after issues with win10

Dual Boot on Win7 after issues with win10: hi, I am new on this forum, but not new with windows or OS setup. I was running win 7 (64bit) pleasantly but decided to install Win10, did all the needed stuff for getting dual boot setup. Win10 booted fine, when selected from dual boot menu, but I have many issues on...
  9. Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?

Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?: Hi, I have a dual boot set up - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an SSD drive and Windows 8.1 on a second hard drive. I would like to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and keep the Windows 7 OS in tact. Is this possible? Can I just go through the upgrade process from...
  10. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10: I used the ISO (64bit) burnt to DVD, changed boot order to install and installed to a new 250GB HDD, setup was about 15 mins and the dual boot works great, Windows 10 installed fine and Windows 7 has not been affected and runs as normal *Biggrin 2010