Windows 10: Upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Education`

Discus and support Upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Education` in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I keep getting the error message: Couldn't upgrade your edition, undoing updates. Every time it applies additional features...it stops at 98% and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Trayus, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Trayus Win User

Upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Education`

I keep getting the error message: Couldn't upgrade your edition, undoing updates.

Every time it applies additional features...it stops at 98% and then undoes the changes.

Please help. I don't want to reinstall windows just so I could upgrade to Education. Thanks.

:)

Trayus, Nov 17, 2015

2. Windows 10 Upgrade through product key from Windows 10 Home Edition to Windows 10 Student Edition

Your Windows 10 free upgrade was derived from a OEM Windows 8 license, which means it has not transfer rights. So, if you upgrade to Windows 10 Education, no, you cannot install Windows 10 Home on another device.

If you upgrade the system from Home to Education, the previous license still remains with the system, its just that its now running a full license for Windows 10 Education.

Learn how to upgrade from Home to Education:

Andre Da Costa, Nov 17, 2015
  3. JAdrianE. Win User
    Windows 10 Upgrade through product key from Windows 10 Home Edition to Windows 10 Student Edition

Thanks for a immediate reply sir, I just wanna ask another question, Once I am using the Windows 10 Education version which I got from Dreamspark(OntheHub.com), If I buy a new machine, can I uninstall my windows 10 Education key on my laptop and use it to activate
    my new machine, and will my old machine will be returned to Windows 10 Home Edition license from OEM. Thanks

JAdrianE., Nov 17, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Some driver or application incompatibility can be the problem. Before trying again, disable the antivirus, antimalware, firewall, disk utility, whatever might interfere with the process. Run msconfig, go to Services and check the box to hide all Microsoft services. Most of the others should be disabled (mostly updaters) just in case. Then click on the Startup tab and click to open Task Manager. Disable any non-important application (Slype, QTtask, Java etc). To make sure there is no device incompatibility, load Device Manager and disable any non-important device (audio, LAN, SATA/SCSI controller without devices attached, TV etc). Then try to upgrade again.

Important: Uncheck the box "Search to updates" and disconnect from the Internet. You can search for updates after successfully upgrading to Education.

spapakons, Nov 17, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    What do you mean
    Upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Education

What exactly are you trying to do.

Ztruker, Nov 18, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    Probably trying to upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Education, as far as I understand.

spapakons, Nov 18, 2015
  7. I've gone from Pro to Education. If you go to the System page, there is a "Change product key" option to the right of the Windows activation section. You click that, type in your Education key, and it upgrades you to Education. Then reboots and checks activation. You can go from Pro to Enterprise too. It's the equivalent to Windows 8's Add Features, just in a different place. No install media needed. All you need is a valid key.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Education` - Similar Threads - Upgrading Home Education`

2. Installing windows home from education

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing windows home from education: Can you let me know how to change windows education to Windows home for free I have taken the backup and everything and I have downloaded the latest Windows iso file...
  3. Changing from Windows Education to Windows Home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Changing from Windows Education to Windows Home: Hi, I bought a laptop which came with Windows 10 Home. While I've been at university, I used a licence provided by them to upgrade to Windows Education. Now I'm finishing university, I want to revert back to the Home edition. I've seen instructions about downloading the...
  4. Windows 10 Home to Education

Windows 10 Home to Education: Hello, currently I have Windows 10 Home installed, I was wondering if I were to insert a Windows 10 Education key, would it automatically upgrade, also would it keep my data and apps that were installed?...
  5. Windows 10 Education/ Home

Windows 10 Education/ Home: I am a student of st.mary schools, when I attempted to sign in with my school account on my personal laptop it automatically upgraded itself to windows 10 education from my windows 10 home. I want home back how do I do it? I've tried to input the OEM licence and it said it...
  6. Downgrading windows 10 from Education back to Home?

Downgrading windows 10 from Education back to Home?: Hello, I have been running windows education for 6 months now. Originally I had Win 10 RTM OEM:DM installed on my laptop. I still have the original OEM key safely stored, which was retrieved from my laptop upon purchasing. I have tried everything from uninstalling the...
  7. Windows 10 Education to Home

Windows 10 Education to Home: I have 2 laptops, which both of them came with windows 10 home edition already installed. I tried using education version of windows 10 (it is free for college students) for both of the laptops. I registered the education version product key on my first laptop, and then...
  8. Problem with Edition upgrade of Windows 10 Home to Education

Problem with Edition upgrade of Windows 10 Home to Education: Hello I am working as a volunteer at our local school. We just recieved 10 Lenovo E31-70, who are all running Windows 10 Home Edition, version 1511. Through Microsoft License Center, we can license 50 machines with a MAK key. So i started up the first one, got to do the...
  9. Upgrading from win 10 home to win 10 education version

Upgrading from win 10 home to win 10 education version: I am eligible to purchase a copy of win 10 education version. I currently have win 10 home. I wonder if I have to clean install win 10 education or I can just upgrade from win 10 home. The MS help desk is so ignorant that most of the time they want to help me with my MS...
  10. Upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Education fails

Upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Education fails: Hello everyone, I have bumped into this problem, where I am unable to upgrade my current Windows 10 Home to a Education edition. When I fill in the activation code in the Activation menu of Windows update, the upgrade process starts without a problem, and finishes to 100%....