Windows 10: Upgrading from windows 8.1 pro to windows 10 pro

Discus and support Upgrading from windows 8.1 pro to windows 10 pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi , I have just bought Toshiba portege Z20t which comes with pre-installed windows 8.1 pro and the right operating system now is windows 7 pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by omaer97, Jun 4, 2017.

1. omaer97 Win User

Upgrading from windows 8.1 pro to windows 10 pro

Hi ,
    I have just bought Toshiba portege Z20t which comes with pre-installed windows 8.1 pro and the right operating system now is windows 7 pro downgraded from window 8.1 pro ,
    my question is I want to upgrade to windows 10 but to make this first I have to install the coming windows 8.1 pro DVD recovery of toshiba company on my laptop ,
    Can I bypass this by direct installation of windows 10 pro from usb boot or windows 8.1 pro from usb too,
    as I will need to buy an external dvd to boot from the 3 DVD recovery that came with the device.
    I mean the programs that comes with the recovery dvds of windows 8 from toshiba will still be working on Windows 10 pro after upgrading ?
    Or just skip the recovery and proceed with usb boot ?
    Thank you

:)

omaer97, Jun 4, 2017
  2. DanSchell Win User

Upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro

I would like to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 8.1.

Should I upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 8.1 Pro first then upgrade to Windows 10 Pro?

or

Should I upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 then upgrade to Windows 10 Pro?

Pro's and Con's of each route?

Thanks

DanSchell, Jun 4, 2017
  3. Upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro

yes

UNITEDNATIONS HOLDINGS, Jun 4, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

I advise you run showkeyplus to extract your Windows 7 key if you do not know it, rhen clean install Windows 10 pro using a usb flash drive created using media creation tool. It will activate with Windows 7 pro key.

cereberus, Jun 4, 2017
  5. DavidY Win User
    If it came with Windows 8.1 Pro from new, there's a good chance the Windows 8.1 Pro product key will be on the motherboard (and I think Windows 10 would automatically activate from that).
    ShowKey should reveal all.

DavidY, Jun 4, 2017
  6. omaer97 Win User
    Thank you all , I already extracted the key of windows 8.1 pro from bios but I mean will I get any extra benefit if I installed windows 8.1 from DVD recovery using the 3 dvds came with laptop from toshiba company than I used clean installation by USB booted with windows 10 pro ?? I mean the programs or patches that come with the original DVDs is there difference ?

omaer97, Jun 4, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Most people prefer to have a clean install of Windows without all the extra stuff the manufacturer throws in. When I get a new computer, I make an image of the hard drive by booting into Macrium Reflect. Then I play with the factory software for about 10 minutes, wipe the entire hard drive and start over with a clean load of vanilla Windows downloaded from Microsoft.

NavyLCDR, Jun 4, 2017
  8. f14tomcat Win User

When you clean install Windows 10, those DVD's will be basically worth nothing. They are 8.1 specific and contain the OEM's custom version of 8.1 and all the OEM's freebie bloatware.

f14tomcat, Jun 4, 2017
  9. omaer97 Win User
    Thank you all , so do you recommend certain program to make copy of all images found on my laptop SSD before I erase them ?

omaer97, Jun 4, 2017
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    f14tomcat, Jun 4, 2017
  11. zbook New Member
    Sometimes there are problems upgrading. For example the free space in the partition could be insufficient. There could be incompatible software/applications that need to be uninstalled before the upgrade. The clean install of windows 10 (deleting the partitions, formating the drive, etc. eliminates these potential delays or incompatibility problems. They may never occur but most often you have to attempt the upgrade to see if there are problems.

zbook, Jun 5, 2017
  12. omaer97 Win User
    So clean installation is better ?

omaer97, Jun 5, 2017
  13. zbook New Member

There are a few applications that come with a factory install that can be a little challenging to reinstall. Other than that a clean install allows you to start fresh. No issues with partitions, malware, incompatible software etc.

Take a look now at the Toshiba web site. Input you computers serial or product number and view the drivers and applications for windows 10 versus windows 8.1. You can quickly see what has and has not been certified or tested for windows 10 and what has not.

When I did a clean install on one of my HP computers it no longer had the link for the cyberlink application. I used the recovery DVD from an older version of windows for the application. The alternatives were to do a cyberlink trial or download a different player such as VLC media player.

If you do a clean install make sure all of your files are backed up, record all of your applications, and save all of your bookmarks.

Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

zbook, Jun 5, 2017
  14. f14tomcat Win User
    In addition...

Once you have a Windows 10 OS installed, it is registered on the MS servers with a digital key, and will activate on a clean install.
    If you have all your data backed up (externally), any keys for licenses you may need (3rd party apps). and all the prep done....yes, a clean install is the preferred way.

f14tomcat, Jun 5, 2017
  15. omaer97 Win User
    Thanks ,
    I have question should I make backup for the hidden recovery partiotion only or for the whole SSD ( System + C : partition + Recovery partition )?

omaer97, Jun 5, 2017
Thema:

1. Upgrading from windows 8.1 pro to windows 10 pro - Similar Threads - Upgrading pro pro

2. Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to 10/11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to 10/11: I need to finally upgrade to windows 10 or 11. I’m currently on windows 8pro. Completely confused as to how to do this despite reading several articles here and online. I don’t have a product key as it came installed on my VAIO. Please help with step by step instructions....
  3. Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to 10/11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to 10/11: I need to finally upgrade to windows 10 or 11. I’m currently on windows 8pro. Completely confused as to how to do this despite reading several articles here and online. I don’t have a product key as it came installed on my VAIO. Please help with step by step instructions....
  4. Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating: Hi,I have an old Acer laptop which I tried to upgrade to Windows Pro but it won't activate once the upgrade is completed. Below are the steps I followed to complete the upgrade:I created a Windows account which I used throughout the upgrade processes.1. Did a clean install of...
  5. Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating: Hi,I have an old Acer laptop which I tried to upgrade to Windows Pro but it won't activate once the upgrade is completed. Below are the steps I followed to complete the upgrade:I created a Windows account which I used throughout the upgrade processes.1. Did a clean install of...
  6. Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating

7. Windows Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10: I would like to ask if it is possible to upgrade the Windows of my old laptop Dell Inspiron N4050 for my childrens use for online classes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-upgrade-from-windows-8-pro-to-windows-10/3025b42a-4a0e-42d6-add5-d42101c099f4
  8. Windows Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10

Windows Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10: I would like to ask if it is possible to upgrade the Windows of my old laptop Dell Inspiron N4050 for my childrens use for online classes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-upgrade-from-windows-8-pro-to-windows-10/3025b42a-4a0e-42d6-add5-d42101c099f4
  9. windows 8 pro upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 8 pro upgrade: my laptop came with windows 8 pro . what I understand is that windows 8 key is preset in BIOS. But when i upgraded to widnows 10 it upgraded to Home edition. I tried going to " upgrade to windows 10 pro" in microsoft store. but its asking me for key. what should i do....
  10. Using Windows 8 Pro key to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Using Windows 8 Pro key to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Home: Hello, I have 2 laptops, one old(1st) and other new(2nd). The 1st laptop had Windows 7 Home pre-installed which was later upgraded to Windows 8 Pro through Windows 8 Upgrade Offer. This again was upgraded to Windows 10 Home for free. The 2nd PC came with Windows 10 Home...