Windows 10: Upgrading Graphics Card?

Discus and support Upgrading Graphics Card? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; So I just wanted to know if I could upgrade my graphics card without changing/upgrading anything else as well. I have a GeForce GT 610 currently, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by keegaan, May 22, 2016.

1. keegaan Win User

Upgrading Graphics Card?

So I just wanted to know if I could upgrade my graphics card without changing/upgrading anything else as well. I have a GeForce GT 610 currently, and switching it out for the GeForce gtx 750 ti or the 950.

PROCESSOR: AMD Fx(tm)-4300 Quad-Core processor 3.8 GHz
    RAM: 16gb
    GRAPHICS CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GT 610

:)

keegaan, May 22, 2016
  2. Upgrading Win User

My Nokia C3 is not supporting softwares

I have tried so many ways to download softwares, but to my efforts are all fruitless. When i go to other sites to download and install softwares, the place to download the software will not even be active and when i download from ovi store it is not supported.
    What should i do to end this problem?

Upgrading, May 22, 2016
  3. Upgrading Graphics Card

Hi Sam,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You can change the Graphics Card in Windows 10 without activation issues. However, changing hard drive or motherboard is not recommended.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, May 22, 2016
  4. h4ck3d Win User

Upgrading Graphics Card?

For this upgrade you need know if ur power supply is sufficient for new hardware work together with old components.
    GTX 750 or 950 need 400W Real Power Supply and 6 Pin Conector.

*Wink

h4ck3d, May 22, 2016
  5. bobkn Win User
    I'm not sure whether there are exceptions, but the 750 ti cards that I've checked in the past do not require a PCI-E auxiliary power connector. eVGA requests only a 300W PSU. That's one major advantage of the 750 ti. My main worry would be if the OP needed a low-profile card. The GT 610 exists in that form, but I believe that no 750 ti does.

Just looking at eVGA, some of their 950 cards need a 6 pin PCI_E cable, some an 8 pin. They request a 350W PSU. (The highest-end 950 cards consume a maximum of 125W.)

If a low-profile-card is required, I suggest that you forget the upgrade. The available cards are too expensive and too limited in performance to be worthwhile.

bobkn, May 22, 2016
  6. keegaan Win User
    I have no idea how to check the wattage of the PSU but I got a picture here:

Upgrading Graphics Card? [​IMG]

edit: I have no idea why it's upside down

keegaan, May 22, 2016
  7. keegaan Win User
    Also I'm not very good with computers (My grandpa would be the one installing the card), so could you dumb it down for me? I have no idea what a low-profile card is

keegaan, May 22, 2016
  8. essenbe Win User

Upgrading Graphics Card?

Check The width of your case. If you have a standard size case (ATX) you can put a standard size card in. If you have one of the slim or narrow cases, you would need a low profile card. I hope that helps you. You list an HP in your system specs. Maybe if you gave the model number of your computer we could answer you better.

Also, I'm sure your computer has an DVD drive. Does it fit horizontally or vertical in the front of the case?

essenbe, May 23, 2016
  9. keegaan Win User
    My computer was built by my grandpa
    The front of it says HPS (High performance system) but the DVD drive is ASUS.
    The DVD drive is horizontal

keegaan, May 23, 2016
  10. essenbe Win User
    Is it a retail case? If so, can you tell me the brand and model? Or is it something like an HP case? If it is retail, the manufacturer should be on the case somewhere. Your Grandpa will probably know. The fact that the DVD drive is horizontal is a good sign for you.

essenbe, May 23, 2016
  11. keegaan Win User
    Nowhere I can see but here's some pictures of it:

keegaan, May 23, 2016
  12. essenbe Win User
    I can't ID the case, but from all appearances, either one of those cards will fit.

essenbe, May 23, 2016
  13. Berton Win User

Upgrading Graphics Card?

Looks to me like what is called a Custom case, can be outfitted by the user as desired. The power supply appears to be 500W capacity.

Berton, May 23, 2016
  14. bobkn Win User
    The power supply is a nominal 500W one:

COOLER MASTER eXtreme RP-500-PCAR 500W ATX12V V2.01 Power Supply - Newegg.com

It has a single 6 pin PCI-E power connector. If you needed an 8 pin (like for some high-end eVGA 950 cards), the card may be bundled with an adapter. (Should be safe enough. The PCI-E slot can supply 75W, and a 6 pin PCI-E power connector another 75, so the 8 pin one is hardly necessary.)

Your case looks like a full width type (not SFF, small form factor), so a full-height graphics card should fit.

It's good that the "HP" in your system specs isn't correct. Appliance PCs (HP, Dell, etc.) sometimes have power supplies that are adequate to support the factory system, but not large enough to take upgrades. You should be good. If you need help swapping cards, don't be shy to ask for it.

My recommended ritual:

Have the latest drivers for the new card downloaded. (Visual Computing Leadership from NVIDIA).

With the old graphics card still in place, uninstall its drivers.

Power down. (Do not reboot; you might get some unwanted drivers back.)

Swap cards.

Power up.

Install the new drivers.

On rare occasions, I've had to clear the CMOS to get the new card recognized. (Not hard to do, but it may involve moving a jumper on the motherboard to a new position, then moving it back. Newer motherboards have push buttons or recessed buttons that you can push with a bent paper clip.)

Not sure what to recommend for an upgrade. The 950 is a better card, but it costs more.

bobkn, May 23, 2016
  15. keegaan Win User
    Thanks for the help.
    I'm trying to play Planet Coaster, Guild Wars 2, and WoW with decent settings. Which would you recommend that's around $150 or less?

keegaan, May 24, 2016
Thema:

Upgrading Graphics Card?

1. Upgrading Graphics Card? - Similar Threads - Upgrading Graphics Card

2. Applications not working after upgrading graphics card

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Applications not working after upgrading graphics card: Hi there,I recently upgraded my graphics card and installed a new internal hard drive however since booting up the PC, I have noticed several problems. Many but not all of my applications are no longer working - they do not open once double clicked. There does not seem to be...
  3. upgrade helios 300 graphic card.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    upgrade helios 300 graphic card.: hi.i was wondering what are the possible way to upgrade Helios 300 graphic card ,currently I'm using RTX 2060 but is there anyway i can boost my graphic card further or even upgrade it ?...
  4. Z800 Graphics card upgrade

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Z800 Graphics card upgrade: HP Z800 / Z820 / Z840 - Graphics cards. I believe all three models are the same in these respects. I have been very confused by the information on upgrading a Z800 to a more powerful graphics card, so having solved, at least the more obvious issues, I have listed my findings...
  5. Graphics card for Windows 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Graphics card for Windows 10 upgrade: I am upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I am not a gamer, only occasionally watch a TV program on my PC. Otherwise I just play with my photos. I have an old integrated NVIDIA GeForce GT 230 graphics card. I understand that this card is not compatible with Windows 10....
  6. Upgrading an Old Graphics Card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrading an Old Graphics Card: Hi everyone! I have a very old PC that I built in 2008 with the following configuration: Asus P5Q Pro motherboard; Intel core 2 duo e8500 CPU; 8GB RAM; Asus EN9600GSO TOP/HTDP/384M video card (DirectX 10) My PC runs Windows 10 1909 just fine. Here is the question. I do...
  7. Upgrade my graphic card

Upgrade my graphic card: Hi, I was wondering what was the best graphic card to upgrade my computer. I don't play that much, but I want to be able if I want to, for the last ones. It's fine if it's not the best quality, just enough to play. I also want to watch 4k videos. I need two HDMI output...
  8. Upgrade Graphic Card

Upgrade Graphic Card: I'd like to upgrade my video card but am not to informed on which card to use. I have a Nvidia GeForce GT 610 and my power supply is 460 watts, any suggestions on what I could use would be greatly appreciated. Windows 10 Pro latest updates installed.*Smile 87549
  9. Upgraded Graphics card - Win10 Upgrade does not see it

Upgraded Graphics card - Win10 Upgrade does not see it: My old XPS700 could not be updated due to my old GeForce 7900 GT. I upgraded to a GeForce 8500 GT which Win 10 supports, but I cannot upgrade as the Win10 program still says I have the old graphics card. Anyone know how to get that program to recheck your system for the...
  10. Win10 upgrade problem vs. graphics card

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 upgrade problem vs. graphics card: About two years ago I built a Win10 computer, using an Asus M5A78L-MLE MB (I usually use ASRock MB). To my dismay, the on-board graphics weren't working. I remembered I had an old (8-9 years?) XFX GeFORCE graphics card and I plugged it in and all seemed well. Now suddenly...