Windows 10: Upgrading Hard drive, can I use my existing Product Key?

Discus and support Upgrading Hard drive, can I use my existing Product Key? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Upgrading my hard drive to a larger unit and I was just wondering can I use the existing product key that can with the computer if I did a fresh... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MichaelPenney1, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Upgrading Hard drive, can I use my existing Product Key?

Upgrading my hard drive to a larger unit and I was just wondering can I use the existing product key that can with the computer if I did a fresh install of windows 10? Haven't really messed around with this before just looking for some help before I get to far along.

:)

MichaelPenney1, Oct 16, 2019
  2. EliSherer Win User

Cannot upgrade to Windows 10 - Unique Product Key situation

No... let me try again.

• Old computer is running Win7 Pro (SP1) with a Product key I have from a few years ago. The Product is activated already, but I do NOT use this computer at this point, so I didn't worry about using the Product key when moving to the new computer (see below).
    • New computer is running Win10 Pro, with data and OS migrated from the Old computer, (same Product key as above), then Upgraded to Win10 (without getting a new Product Key).
    What I am trying to do now...

• I want to upgrade the OLD computer (Win7 Pro) to Windows 10... using a new Product Key I just purchased.
    • I have tried to do this internally, and also using the ISO burned to a thumb drive. But it does not want to work.
    • Steps:
      • Start from USB drive.
      • Enter New Product Key (or click "I don't have one").
      • Install initiates and then tells me to restart from Windows and then open the installer again to continue.
        • At this point, I actually need to Quit the installation to restart the machine.
      • When restarted, I go to the USB drive and restart/resume the installation process.
      • I have tried to download and not to download updates, but when the installation fails, I see the message, "Something happened" and "Setup has failed to validate the product key".
      • NOTE This happens if I enter the NEW Windows 10 Product Key, or if I skip that step (which I assume means that it will use the old Windows 7 Key for the upgrade).

EliSherer, Oct 16, 2019
  3. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Oct 16, 2019
  4. JuanPepa Win User

Upgrading Hard drive, can I use my existing Product Key?

recover product key from laptop hard drive

hi, i had this dell laptop which came originally with vista, i bought win7 when it came out and kept using it, when the win 10 upgrade came i upgraded it to the insider version, but later the laptop died, the videocard gave up. but the hard drive was still
    ok, so my question is, can i use this product key on my new pc that im building, if so how can i recover my product key from the hard drive, i put on a hard drive case so i could see if it was ok, thanks.

JuanPepa, Oct 16, 2019
Thema:

Upgrading Hard drive, can I use my existing Product Key?

1. Upgrading Hard drive, can I use my existing Product Key? - Similar Threads - Upgrading Hard drive

2. How can I activate Windows 8.1 on a new Hard Drive using BIOS embedded product key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I activate Windows 8.1 on a new Hard Drive using BIOS embedded product key?: My Asus laptop Hard Drive crashed. I had to replace it. I have the product key from BIOS. After installing a new SSD HD, I created a bootable disc with Windows 8.1 and installed it on the new HD. The product key I have which is on the motherboard and embedded in BIOS does not...
  3. How can I activate Windows 8.1 on a new Hard Drive using BIOS embedded product key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I activate Windows 8.1 on a new Hard Drive using BIOS embedded product key?: My Asus laptop Hard Drive crashed. I had to replace it. I have the product key from BIOS. After installing a new SSD HD, I created a bootable disc with Windows 8.1 and installed it on the new HD. The product key I have which is on the motherboard and embedded in BIOS does not...
  4. can I share a used product key with my friend

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can I share a used product key with my friend: can I share a used product key with my friend? PS thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-share-a-used-product-key-with-my-friend/c1056540-d991-41d8-879e-d7640a160efd
  5. can I share a used product key with my friend

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can I share a used product key with my friend: can I share a used product key with my friend? PS thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-share-a-used-product-key-with-my-friend/c1056540-d991-41d8-879e-d7640a160efd
  6. can I share a used product key with my friend

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  7. Will I lose my product key if I wipe my hard drives?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will I lose my product key if I wipe my hard drives?: I am currently download Windows 10 media from the media creator onto my USB and I am planning to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10. And I'm very sure once you boot into the Windows 10 Installer you get the option to format your hard drives. So, my question is: Will I lose my...
  8. Using my Windows 10 product key on a new hard drive

Using my Windows 10 product key on a new hard drive: I have a PC that was originally upgraded from windows 8 to windows 10. I have the original Windows 8 product key and since I was too late in up grading to windows 10, I had to BUY a copy of Windows 10 which I did thru Microsoft. Recently, my hard drive died and I had to...
  9. Using existing hard drive in new machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using existing hard drive in new machine: Can I install my existing hard drive with win 10 pro in new machine so that I don't have to reinstall everything? Current machine is 8 years old but has i7 in it....
  10. Can I use my 7 product key to activate?

Can I use my 7 product key to activate?: Hey guys. I uninstalled the GWX update a couple of weeks back (icon was annoying me lol don't ask) I reinstalled the update today with 10 being released & the GWX app wouldn't work at all, no icon, nothing. Instead I have just upgraded by using their media creation tool...