Windows 10: upgrading hard drive - how can i copy everything over?

Discus and support upgrading hard drive - how can i copy everything over? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, I am upgrading my primary drive from a 1TB SSD to a 2TB SSD. I want to simply replace my drive, copying over everything to the new one. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/wafflewrestler, Feb 24, 2021.

1. upgrading hard drive - how can i copy everything over?

Hello,

I am upgrading my primary drive from a 1TB SSD to a 2TB SSD. I want to simply replace my drive, copying over everything to the new one. I have looked into different methods like the one here, allowing me to create a system image, replace the ssd, and then restore from said system image.

The issue is, I have a secondary drive. This drive makes things complicated because I cannot create a system image of just my primary (as far as I'm aware).

Any alternative solution? I'd prefer not to download 3rd party programs, if possible...those scare me.

Thanks!

submitted by /u/wafflewrestler
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/wafflewrestler, Feb 24, 2021
  2. dhdude Win User

Replacing old hard drive, need way to copy Windows installation across

Hey Guys,
    What would be the best way of copying/imaging the entire contents of an old system drive over to a replacement hard disk for the same machine? I need to copy the Windows installations and all other data to the new drive, and then format the old drive to use as a backup.

Any suggestions? *Smile upgrading hard drive - how can i copy everything over? :)

dhdude, Feb 24, 2021
  3. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Feb 24, 2021
  4. upgrading hard drive - how can i copy everything over?

little cat, Feb 24, 2021
Thema:

upgrading hard drive - how can i copy everything over?

1. upgrading hard drive - how can i copy everything over? - Similar Threads - upgrading hard drive

2. Can I delete a copy of Windows on an old hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I delete a copy of Windows on an old hard drive?: Hello,I just installed my friend's old Seagate HDD into my laptop. It has a copy of Windows 10 from his old laptop before he switched to an SSD. I already have a copy of Windows 11 on my NVMe SSD and I plan to use the HDD to store games. Can I delete the old copy of Windows...
  3. Can I delete a copy of Windows on an old hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I delete a copy of Windows on an old hard drive?: Hello,I just installed my friend's old Seagate HDD into my laptop. It has a copy of Windows 10 from his old laptop before he switched to an SSD. I already have a copy of Windows 11 on my NVMe SSD and I plan to use the HDD to store games. Can I delete the old copy of Windows...
  4. How can I be sure I wiped everything off my hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I be sure I wiped everything off my hard drive: I bought a new computer and I don't like it.I reset the computer but I want to make sure I got all the files off.I set the computer keyboard for two different languages and when it came back after reset it still gave me the option of those two languages, which makes me worry...
  5. How can I be sure I wiped everything off my hard drive

How can I be sure I wiped everything off my hard drive: I bought a new computer and I don't like it.I reset the computer but I want to make sure I got all the files off.I set the computer keyboard for two different languages and when it came back after reset it still gave me the option of those two languages, which makes me worry...
  6. Will copying shortcut files to an external hard drive also copy everything in the shortcut...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Will copying shortcut files to an external hard drive also copy everything in the shortcut...: I have to reboot my PC, and I have many photos stored inside of shortcut folders. If I copy these shortcut folders to an external hard drive, will it also safely transfer the photos stored inside the shortcuts?...
  7. How Can I Copy My Data from Laptop to External Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How Can I Copy My Data from Laptop to External Hard Drive?: Before I send my laptop computer to HP for repairs, I want to copy or back up my data not programs or system to my external hard drive which contains plenty of free space. When I try to copy or drag&drop the Windows\Users folder, the dialog box specifies fewer files 3500...
  8. How can I copy my C: windows hard drive content to D: hard drive including the windows...

How can I copy my C: windows hard drive content to D: hard drive including the windows...: The system is on C: now. I want to remove it to D: then I will disconnect the C: hard drive from the pc and I want that the windows will boot from D: (D: will be come C: once I will disconnect the current C: hard drive). The thing is that D: now is a new hard drive SSD....
  9. If I replace a hard drive - can I use a System Back up to format and copy everything to the...

If I replace a hard drive - can I use a System Back up to format and copy everything to the...: I have a normal mechanical hard drive that is failing - it gives failed on several diagnostic tests. It is in a 32 Bit Windows 10 Pro Dell D820 laptop. I also have a Dell D6410 which has a fully functioning mechanical 500 GB hard drive. I have done a back up and system...
  10. Can you copy program files over to an external hard drive?

Can you copy program files over to an external hard drive?: Can you copy program files over to an external hard drive? And copy them back onto your hard drive after installing Windows 10 pro? Or do you have to install all the programs again? If so is there any software that would do it for you? 74875