Windows 10: Upgrading Hard Drives and Voiding Windows License

Discus and support Upgrading Hard Drives and Voiding Windows License in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Its been years since I handled MS licensing for a company, but this new company I am with is convinced the upgrading a hard drive to a large size voids... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by William Mitchell1, Sep 15, 2022.

1. Upgrading Hard Drives and Voiding Windows License

Its been years since I handled MS licensing for a company, but this new company I am with is convinced the upgrading a hard drive to a large size voids the license agreement. Ive been doing this for almost 30 years and have not heard of anything like this. Does anyone have proof that this is or ever an thing? Can I get a statement from a MS rep?I need to put their licensing concerns to rest because it goes deeper than just fear of upgrading hard drives. They purchase straight from Dell and all systems come with OEM license. That license should be valid for that one system no matter the upgrade

:)

William Mitchell1, Sep 15, 2022
  2. little cat, Sep 15, 2022
  3. GT63_19 Win User
    Reuse license to Install Windows 10 on a new hard drive

I'm installing a new hard drive on a PC hard drive that failed, it was upgrade from windows 7 to 10, can I reuse the license? and if so, do I have to install window 7 first then upgrade or just install windows 10? what are the steps to do this, do contact
    Microsoft?

GT63_19, Sep 15, 2022
  4. GFritz_33 Win User

Upgrading Hard Drives and Voiding Windows License

Replacing windows 10 after hard drive crash

Hi SarahKong

Thansks fo the response. I looked at the Wiki that you suggested. The first step of the wiki is as follows:

"

Determine whether your Windows 10 license can be transferred. There are some restrictions when it comes to transferring the license:[1]
    • If you upgraded from a retail version of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, you can transfer your license (but only once).
    • If you have a full retail copy of Windows 10, you can transfer as many times you want.
    • If you upgraded from a OEM (pre-installed by your computer’s manufacturer) Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 license, your Windows 10 license cannot be transferred.
    • If you upgraded using the Easy Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro Pack from Windows 10, you can transfer the license using Digital Licensing."
    My windows 10 is the pre installed one that comes on my computer. So my situation does not seem to fit any of cases mentioned above.

i look forward to any other suggestions you may have.

Regards

GFritz_33, Sep 15, 2022
Thema:

Upgrading Hard Drives and Voiding Windows License

1. Upgrading Hard Drives and Voiding Windows License - Similar Threads - Upgrading Hard Drives

2. How to void upgrade to Win 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to void upgrade to Win 11?: HI,I just switch back to Win 10.I don't wish to upgrade to Win 11 again.-How do I do it ?ThanksAlex https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-void-upgrade-to-win-11/c64d73c7-3966-49aa-bfe6-8169a5d25515
  3. How to void upgrade to Win 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to void upgrade to Win 11?: HI,I just switch back to Win 10.I don't wish to upgrade to Win 11 again.-How do I do it ?ThanksAlex https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-void-upgrade-to-win-11/c64d73c7-3966-49aa-bfe6-8169a5d25515
  4. Upgrading Hard Drives and Voiding Windows License

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading Hard Drives and Voiding Windows License: Its been years since I handled MS licensing for a company, but this new company I am with is convinced the upgrading a hard drive to a large size voids the license agreement. Ive been doing this for almost 30 years and have not heard of anything like this. Does anyone have...
  5. Upgrading Hard Drives and Voiding Windows License

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading Hard Drives and Voiding Windows License: Its been years since I handled MS licensing for a company, but this new company I am with is convinced the upgrading a hard drive to a large size voids the license agreement. Ive been doing this for almost 30 years and have not heard of anything like this. Does anyone have...
  6. Does Upgrading To 21h2 Void Warranty?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does Upgrading To 21h2 Void Warranty?: Hi, I Wanted To Upgrade My Windows 10 21h1 To 21h2, But My Laptop Is Still On Warranty, And I Was Scared And Not Brave Enough, Is It Safe To Install Windows 21h2 While It's On Warranty Or It Isn't?...
  7. Does Upgrading To 21h2 Void Warranty?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Does Upgrading To 21h2 Void Warranty?: Hi, I Wanted To Upgrade My Windows 10 21h1 To 21h2, But My Laptop Is Still On Warranty, And I Was Scared And Not Brave Enough, Is It Safe To Install Windows 21h2 While It's On Warranty Or It Isn't?...
  8. Upgrading hard Drives

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading hard Drives: This is a custom built PC I want to buy a new system board & add a bigger SSD to my system an load my OS from it instead of the HDD. I have a digital licensefree upgrade in 2016 How does one go about this process? Am I able to reinstall my OS to a new drive and keep my...
  9. Can I upgrade my hard drive with my Windows 10 license?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I upgrade my hard drive with my Windows 10 license?: Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 15R 5537 that came pre-installed with Windows 8.1 on a 1TB HD. I upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period. Now I'd like to upgrade my computer with a 2TB HD by cloning it to the new drive but I'm not sure if I'm able to with my...
  10. Upgrading ram voids warranty? (ASUS)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrading ram voids warranty? (ASUS): I have an asus A555L core i3, 4gb ram and an nvidia 930m. 4gb of ram is a bit less, so im planning to upgrade it. There is a removable cover, covering the ram slot screwed to the bottom of the laptop. If i add another 4 gb of ram by opening the cover, will my warranty be...