Windows 10: Upgrading hardware

Discus and support Upgrading hardware in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm looking at getting a new cpu soon, with it I will need a new motherboard and ram too. How would I get windows 10 on to this? I assume it will not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by silverz, Feb 5, 2016.

1. silverz Win User

Upgrading hardware

I'm looking at getting a new cpu soon, with it I will need a new motherboard and ram too.
    How would I get windows 10 on to this?
    I assume it will not recognise my existing license.... or will it somehow update to work perfectly fine on the new hardware (yeah it's a long shot....).
    Then what happens if I need to swap hard drives at some point? I'm thinking of getting a bigger ssd soon.
    Am I going to have massive problems transitioning the existing license over to new hardware? Is there some easy solution I have not seen?
    If the license is not transferable, how do i get windows 10 on the new hardware? Would I be stuck having to buy a new retail copy of the os?

:)

silverz, Feb 5, 2016
  2. Upgrading Win User

My Nokia C3 is not supporting softwares

I have tried so many ways to download softwares, but to my efforts are all fruitless. When i go to other sites to download and install softwares, the place to download the software will not even be active and when i download from ovi store it is not supported.
    What should i do to end this problem?

Upgrading, Feb 5, 2016
  3. slance310 Win User
    Hardware Upgrade

Hi,

Your current motherboard should already be using a 20 or 24 pin power socket... That has been standard for quite some time...

This is the power to the motherboard... There are a number of other connections for other devices...

Most power supplies come with a combo plug in which the main plug is 20 pin, plus an additional 4 pin attachable plug to accommodate machines requiring a 24 pin plug...

slance310, Feb 5, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Upgrading hardware

You may need to contact MS to deactivate your current license for reuse.

Or, easier, simply try using it after you've installed Win 10 on your rebuilt system- make sure you know it. It seems MS doesn't actually keep a 100% record of what's activated on particular devices- more of a running statistic. So if you had used your license on a machine recently, then used it again on a different one, you might have problems.

Example. About 3 years ago I used my purchased Win 8 license, and last year upgraded that PC to Win 10. In the last week, since that laptop was failing, 6 years old, I bought this one, installed Win 10 and successfully used my Win 8 Pro license.

Naturally I'm not planning to keep both.. the other keeps shutting off at random...

dalchina, Feb 5, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    If original licence was oem, you cannot legally transfer Windows 10 to new mobo.

cereberus, Feb 5, 2016
  6. silverz Win User
    The original license was from a retail windows 8 upgrade.

silverz, Feb 5, 2016
  7. brummyfan Win User
    You don't need to worry too much about upgrading your MB, I have done it in the past and activated without any problem, even if it doesn't, get in touch with MS by phone activation, it will activate your OS

brummyfan, Feb 5, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Upgrading hardware

You cannot telephone activate a Windows 10 upgrade, as it uses digital entitlement, not product key activation. Telephone activation only works if you have an actual Windows 10 key.

cereberus, Feb 5, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    Then installing 10 and using key should work. Apparently upgrade keys work as well as full retail keys. This is a grey area legally, but is not specifically forbidden in EULA, but you are of course legally required to remove Windows from old pc, as you still only have one licence.

cereberus, Feb 5, 2016
  10. lx07 Win User
    I have done phone activation for Windows 10 twice with Windows 8 upgrade key. The robot fails to identify your numbers from slui 4, you wait on hold to talk to a technician and explain your situation, wait again to explain it again to a level 2 technician, they ask your original key so they can check it then sign on remotely and put in a new Windows 10 key for you.

I was sometimes told that I had to re-install qualifying OS but just called back until I got the answer I wanted from a different member of staff.

11. WHS
    whs Win User
Thema:

Upgrading hardware

1. Upgrading hardware - Similar Threads - Upgrading hardware

2. After major hardware change do i need to install windows 10 first then free upgrade to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After major hardware change do i need to install windows 10 first then free upgrade to...: Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 22H2 Installed on ‎29-‎06-‎2020 OS build 19045.4291 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19056.1000.0 Hi, above info is of my current windows os on my pc. I'm changing my motherboard and cpu soon. My current cpu does not support...
  3. After major hardware change do i need to install windows 10 first then free upgrade to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After major hardware change do i need to install windows 10 first then free upgrade to...: Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 22H2 Installed on ‎29-‎06-‎2020 OS build 19045.4291 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19056.1000.0 Hi, above info is of my current windows os on my pc. I'm changing my motherboard and cpu soon. My current cpu does not support...
  4. After major hardware change do i need to install windows 10 first then free upgrade to...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Upgrading Hardware so that I can upgrade to Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading Hardware so that I can upgrade to Win 11: I have a full retail copy of Win 10 on a digital license linked to my Microsoft account, but my hardware fails the compatibility check due to a 7th gen Intel CPU, despite the fact that it runs at 4.5 GHz. I am looking to buy a new motherboard and CPU and will install my...
  6. Upgrading Hardware so that I can upgrade to Win 11

Upgrading Hardware so that I can upgrade to Win 11: I have a full retail copy of Win 10 on a digital license linked to my Microsoft account, but my hardware fails the compatibility check due to a 7th gen Intel CPU, despite the fact that it runs at 4.5 GHz. I am looking to buy a new motherboard and CPU and will install my...
  7. Upgrading Hardware so that I can upgrade to Win 11

8. hardware upgrade - windows activation not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hardware upgrade - windows activation not working: I did post this previously but accidentally using the wrong Microsoft account, but I've added more info based on answers thereI've recently done a hardware upgrade and now it can't activate my previous Windows account. When I've followed the Troubleshoot guide it can't find...
  9. hardware upgrade - windows activation not working

hardware upgrade - windows activation not working: I did post this previously but accidentally using the wrong Microsoft account, but I've added more info based on answers thereI've recently done a hardware upgrade and now it can't activate my previous Windows account. When I've followed the Troubleshoot guide it can't find...
  10. Do I need to re-buy a digital Windows 10 license if I upgraded my PC Hardware?

Do I need to re-buy a digital Windows 10 license if I upgraded my PC Hardware?: Hi Folks,Apologies if this has been posted before I definitely think it will have.... I can't figure out how to navigate these forums at all. Little background, many years ago I purchased a physical copy of Windows 7. I was then eligible for the upgrade to Windows 10. PC has...