Windows 10: Upgrading HDD Storage into SDD Storage

Discus and support Upgrading HDD Storage into SDD Storage in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; is it necessary to buy a new windows 10 product key when I upgrade my HDD storage into SDD storage or my original windows 10 product key was included... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Dave Visto, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Upgrading HDD Storage into SDD Storage

[COLOR=rgba3, 3, 3, 1]is it necessary to buy a new windows 10 product key when I upgrade my HDD storage into SDD storage or my original windows 10 product key was included too when I do cloning?[/COLOR]

:)

Dave Visto, Apr 8, 2021
  2. brify Win User

Storage setup with a SSD and HDD

Hi

I have just purchased an HP Pavillion Desktop with a 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD, I have initialised windows, choosing to use OneDrive for backup and storage (I have 1TB cloud storage with 365) and also updated windows and drivers. I have not transferred
    any data from my old pc yet.

I now wish to setup the pc to have the operating system and program files on the SSD as they are currently and all my Files/Pictures/Music etc on the HDD but I am unsure of the correct procedures and order in which to carry them out. I also want to
    continue using OneDrive for backup and file access from other devices.

I am aware of the following:

• The OneDrive folder is currently on the SSD and is backing up the default Desktop, Documents and Pictures. I wish to move this folder to the HDD but I am not when to do this, looking at the steps below, to prevent any sync issues
    • I know I can move my user folders, Documents, Pictures etc to the HDD by changing the location of these from C: (SSD) to D: (HDD), leaving the User/Username folder on C:
    • I have also noticed that in Settings/System/Storage I can 'change the location where new content is saved' for these folders, what is the difference between this and moving the location of the folders as detailed above.

Can anyone advise on the best/correct method of setting my system up going forward?

Thanks

brify, Apr 8, 2021
  3. SDD and a HDD windows 10

I have Windows 10 installed on a 525gb SDD. I have a 1tb HDD that I'm using for my data. I've been reading a lot of conflicting tweaks to use on the SDD. Help!

1. Should I eliminate the swap on the SDD? I do a have a windows managed swap file on the HDD.

2. Should I turn off indexing on the SDD?

3. Should I turn off system restore on the SDD?

Most of the articles I've been reading have been a couple of years old. I know that the current SDDs are better but do these same tweaks apply now?

Any info and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

saturn7110x, Apr 8, 2021
  4. Louie Del Win User

Upgrading HDD Storage into SDD Storage

Data Storage

Hi,

If the hard disk drive (HDD) that was set as your preferred storage when saving files isn’t working, it’s possible that a software conflict occurred or the HDD encountered an issue. To isolate your concern with your
    device storage, we’d like to ask the questions below:

• Did you make any other changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Have you encountered an error message when you tried saving or moving files to your HDD? If yes, please provide us a
      screenshot.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we recommend that you start your PC in safe mode.
    This will help us determine if there are third-party applications that may cause the issue. Once you’re in the basic state, try to move or save a file to the HDD and check the result.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested step.

Louie Del, Apr 8, 2021
Thema:

Upgrading HDD Storage into SDD Storage

1. Upgrading HDD Storage into SDD Storage - Similar Threads - Upgrading HDD Storage

2. Use HDD Storage as GPU Storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use HDD Storage as GPU Storage: Hi! I am Noki! So i have a laptop that runs pretty fast, but i wanna play games like Fortnite, but even at 720p all Low, other than 100% 3D Res, it rund 10/15fps, IT'S AWFUL! But for example Genshin Impact 720p runs 45fps on Medium Graphics. So that's why i am confused. So is...
  3. Use HDD Storage as GPU Storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Use HDD Storage as GPU Storage: Hi! I am Noki! So i have a laptop that runs pretty fast, but i wanna play games like Fortnite, but even at 720p all Low, other than 100% 3D Res, it rund 10/15fps, IT'S AWFUL! But for example Genshin Impact 720p runs 45fps on Medium Graphics. So that's why i am confused. So is...
  4. HDD Storage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD Storage: I was wondering why my 1Tb hard drive has only 931gb, i ruled out that it wasnt because of my os because thats on a seperate drive. Does any one know? submitted by /u/NotCaidzz [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/v12gjo/hdd_storage/
  5. Loss of storage SDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Loss of storage SDD: I'm having a problem with my laptop. Whenever I play games during my games whenever I lose storage. I checked and its not my windows system protection. Can someone help me? I can only lose some more storage where I have none and my computer breaks down. I would like to know...
  6. Hdd to SDD upgrade

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hdd to SDD upgrade: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/minibeto666 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kgesqd/hdd_to_sdd_upgrade/
  7. Storage setup with a SSD and HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage setup with a SSD and HDD: Hi I have just purchased an HP Pavillion Desktop with a 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD, I have initialised windows, choosing to use OneDrive for backup and storage I have 1TB cloud storage with 365 and also updated windows and drivers. I have not transferred any data from my old pc...
  8. Storage pool with hdd and ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage pool with hdd and ssd: Hello I have made a what I think is a pretty sick gaming pc but its slow because of the hdd and I don't have any ssds big enough to suit my needs so I'm wondering if I can make a storage pool that will have the os on the ssd as well as my games that I use the most on there...
  9. To Upgrade Storage

To Upgrade Storage: Hi I am Yeasin, using HP Probook 450 G4 which has storage of HDD 1 TB. Now I want to add Samsung 860 EVO 250GB 2.5 Inch Sata SSD. Can I use both drive at a time or I have to remove HDD to add SSD ? [ATTACH]...
  10. HDD to SDD ?

HDD to SDD ?: I just finished installing my SSD. I used Macrium Reflect to move the partitions from my HDD to the SSD. Everything is working OK so far. [img] In Disk management Disk 0 has a 17.76GB partition. It's the OEM restore partition. As you can see it's not assigned a drive...