Windows 10: Upgrading laptop m.2 SSD with an NVMe drive and have a question

Discus and support Upgrading laptop m.2 SSD with an NVMe drive and have a question in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My HP laptop came with a 128GB m.2 SSD that is unfortunately running out of space. I am planning to replace it with a 512GB NVMe drive. I thought about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/JollyGreenGelatin, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Upgrading laptop m.2 SSD with an NVMe drive and have a question

My HP laptop came with a 128GB m.2 SSD that is unfortunately running out of space. I am planning to replace it with a 512GB NVMe drive. I thought about trying to clone the current drive to the new one, but that seems like more work than I'm willing to put in. I'd rather just remove the old drive, install the new one, then perform a clean windows 10 installation.

Here's my question -- Will there be any Windows 10 activation issues? The copy of Windows 10 Home on this laptop is activated with a digital license linked to my Microsoft account. When I perform a clean install with the new NVMe drive, can I simply log into my Windows account and my digital license will transfer without issue? I am not sure if Windows ties my digital license to the exact hardware configuration of my laptop, or if it will know that it's the same laptop with a new drive and tie my digital license to it without issue. Thoughts?

submitted by /u/JollyGreenGelatin
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/JollyGreenGelatin, Jan 9, 2021
  2. Tonyb Win User

upgraded my laptop to a new crucial 500gb NVMe m.2 ssd

reply did all internal drives last 2 are just my hard drive docking station drives rarely used i just happen to have them on today.

Upgrading laptop m.2 SSD with an NVMe drive and have a question [​IMG]

Tonyb, Jan 9, 2021
  3. about intel optane memory + NVMe™ M.2 SSD

nitially

intel optane memory M10(16,32,64gb)PCIe NVMe M.2 3.0x2 was for accelerating 2.5'SATA mechanical HDD regardless of which generation intel CPUs.

also note :

not talking about Intel® Optane™ Memory H10 with Solid State Storage (32gb+1tb, 32gb+512gb ,16gb+256gb)PCIe NVMe3.0x4 that comes as a single m.2 drive which is mounted on single m.2 slot

but now why

intel optane memory M15(16,32,64gb)(PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4)is-- paired with --PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSDs {which is mounted on two differnt m.2 slots on 7th ,8th and 9th gen intel CPUs}

what is the purpose

ex: 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD + Intel® Optane™ memory 32 GB on (Intel® Core™ i7 9750H) seen from HPs Omen X 2S - 15 Gaming Laptop.

JelittThomas, Jan 9, 2021
  4. Js3199 Win User

Upgrading laptop m.2 SSD with an NVMe drive and have a question

Migrating Windows 10 from m.2 sata to new pcie nvme ssd

Hello all,

I'm going to upgrade my current m.2 sata 128gb to a m.2 pcie nvme 480gb and have questions about migrating Windows over. From my understanding since i have a laptop and cant connect both drives at the same time and pcie nvme isnt supported externally I was
    going to try and create a restore disk of my current drive and then image it to my new drive. Will this work?

Again my process will be, create rescue disk and image to usb, power down and swap drives, enable usb boot to my usb and power on, run the rescue disk and image to my new pcie nvme ssd.

Does anyone see problems with this? Do I need a large usb or will 32gb work for a 128gb ssd?

Js3199, Jan 9, 2021
Thema:

Upgrading laptop m.2 SSD with an NVMe drive and have a question

1. Upgrading laptop m.2 SSD with an NVMe drive and have a question - Similar Threads - Upgrading laptop SSD

2. Trouble upgrading nvme m.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble upgrading nvme m.2 SSD: HiI have a Lenovo Yoga 6 13ALC6 AMD Ryzen5 5500Uwith a 256gb nvme m.2 SSD running windows 11 home.I am wanting to swap the 256gb Toshiba SSD for a 1tb Samsung 970 Evo Plus.After initialising the drive in windows disk management I have tried using Samsungs migration tool to...
  3. Trouble upgrading nvme m.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trouble upgrading nvme m.2 SSD: HiI have a Lenovo Yoga 6 13ALC6 AMD Ryzen5 5500Uwith a 256gb nvme m.2 SSD running windows 11 home.I am wanting to swap the 256gb Toshiba SSD for a 1tb Samsung 970 Evo Plus.After initialising the drive in windows disk management I have tried using Samsungs migration tool to...
  4. Slow M.2 nvme ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow M.2 nvme ssd: Hi.I have Lexar NM620 M.2 2280 256GB SSD.Recently when I checked my ssd's read and write speed I noticed a significant performance drop. This is how it used to be a month ago :And this is how it is now :I mean these speeds are not even SATA ssd speeds. Could you help me with...
  5. Slow M.2 nvme ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow M.2 nvme ssd: Hi.I have Lexar NM620 M.2 2280 256GB SSD.Recently when I checked my ssd's read and write speed I noticed a significant performance drop. This is how it used to be a month ago :And this is how it is now :I mean these speeds are not even SATA ssd speeds. Could you help me with...
  6. Slow M.2 nvme ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Upgrade m.2 NVMe 256GB SSD to a larger m.2 NVMe SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade m.2 NVMe 256GB SSD to a larger m.2 NVMe SSD: I have an HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini PC and would like to change the boot WD_Black SN720 256GB NVMe m.2 SSD for a WD_Black SN850 500GB NVMe m.2 SSD.There are 2 NVMe M.2 slots and already have installed a WD_Black SN750 1TB NVMe Internal SSD in the second slot as a Data...
  8. question: M.2 NVMe SSD options

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    question: M.2 NVMe SSD options: On my existing machine, I have a 1TB GEN3 M.2 NVMe SSD (Samsung 970 Pro), connect via a PCIe3 addon card. It works fine. Soon I will be upgrading my motherboard to a modern board with 2 built-n GEN4 M.2 slots. The new CPU will be AMD Ryzen 7 3800X. I'm considering getting...
  9. question: M.2 NVMe SSD options

in Windows 10 Support
    question: M.2 NVMe SSD options: On my existing machine, I have a 1TB GEN3 M.2 NVMe SSD (Samsung 970 Pro), connect via a PCIe3 addon card. It works fine. Soon I will be upgrading my motherboard to a modern board with 2 built-n GEN4 M.2 slots. The new CPU will be AMD Ryzen 7 3800X. I'm considering getting...
  10. NVMe M.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NVMe M.2 SSD: Hello, I have the Asus Rog Rampage Extreme Omega motherboard, X299 chipset. Currently, I have the Samsung 970 Pro which is a PCIe 3.0x4. From what I understand my motherboard only supports up to PCIe3.0x4. I also understand that PCIe is backwards compatible. Therefore, if...