Windows 10: Upgrading laptop (same make & model), should I swap out SSD or format and start fresh?

Discus and support Upgrading laptop (same make & model), should I swap out SSD or format and start fresh? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, I'm currently using a Dell XPS 15 9500 model. Specs: i7 10th gen/64GB/1650ti GPU/4K screen/ 6TB NVME SSD (2TB main drive + 4TB storage)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Crypto-Hero, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Upgrading laptop (same make & model), should I swap out SSD or format and start fresh?

Hello,

I'm currently using a Dell XPS 15 9500 model. Specs: i7 10th gen/64GB/1650ti GPU/4K screen/ 6TB NVME SSD (2TB main drive + 4TB storage) internal, Windows 10 Pro, Bitlocker enabled.

I purchased and will receive a newer model this week, XPS 15 9520. Specs: i7 12th gen/32GB/3050ti GPU/4K screen/ 512GB NVME SSD.

My question is should I swap out the 2 NVME SSD from the 9500 model to the new laptop? I have a lot of data on the main drive (2TB) and don't feel like reinstall everything. I have backed up everything accordingly. I can install new drivers once swapped over the old SSDs for the new upgraded internal.

As for BitLocker, I am planning to "suspense" protection before swapping, then reenable Bitlocker once the drives are in the new laptop.

What do you think about my process? Will I encounter any future issues once swapped over the 2 drives vs. install the drives, then reformat and install fresh W10P version?

Appreciated the help in advance!

submitted by /u/Crypto-Hero
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Crypto-Hero, Apr 4, 2022

2. How do install my copy of Windows 10 on an SSD that I will then swap for the internal SSD in my Dell Laptop?

I bought a new 500Gb 2.5" SSD and an external USB Hard Drive Case.

I want to do a fresh install of Windows 10 on this drive externally, then swap it for the existing 125 Gb SSD in my Dell Inspiron 11 laptop.

I do not have a registration key for Windows 10 as it was preinstalled, and I am concerned that:

1. The laptop may have a custom Dell installation, ie unique drivers and mods

2. I will lose my registration

3. I will lose all my software installations

4. The laptop will not boot the drive after I swap it in

Please give me step by step instructions and a heads up of any problems I may encounter and should avoid.

Thanks

Peter

PeterBreis, Apr 4, 2022
  3. Upgrading laptop hard drive to ssd

I'm upgrading my old Asus Q200e laptop's hard drive to a PNY SSD Page Not Found | pny.com , following this tutorial. (As an aside, I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 due to a slight slowdown in boot times.) Aside from using different products than the ones listed in the tutorial, I've followed every step to the letter.

However, when I swapped out the HDD with the SSD, the computer does not recognize the new SSD as the boot drive. Instead, upon turning on the machine, the system goes into a strange BIOS-esque utility called "Aptio Setup Utility" that doesn't list the SSD at all. It does, however, list the boot manager from the old HDD I have plugged into a hard drive USB enclosure. I've tried looking up the answer online to no avail.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Charlie Gao, Apr 4, 2022
  4. Upgrading laptop (same make & model), should I swap out SSD or format and start fresh?

Fresh Install of Windows 10 Home in new SSD

I have this Dell N4010 Laptop that I want to upgrade with an SSD and use the existing HDD as Data drive. I have an original windows of digital license.

Please suggest how I can install a fresh copy of the windows in my new SSD with the existing license. And please suggest how to activate the new installation of Windows.

Fahim.Anwar, Apr 4, 2022
Thema:

Upgrading laptop (same make & model), should I swap out SSD or format and start fresh?

1. Upgrading laptop (same make & model), should I swap out SSD or format and start fresh? - Similar Threads - Upgrading laptop same

2. Make/Model of my Laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Make/Model of my Laptop: I did all the ways I could find the make and model of my laptop, and it shows "default string" for both the make and model. Can someone advise on what to do next to find out what the make and model of my laptop is?...
  3. Make/Model of my Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Make/Model of my Laptop: I did all the ways I could find the make and model of my laptop, and it shows "default string" for both the make and model. Can someone advise on what to do next to find out what the make and model of my laptop is?...
  4. Make/Model of my Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. SSD migration across multiple laptops same manufacturer/different model

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD migration across multiple laptops same manufacturer/different model: Essentially, except for Laptop C, I have three 3 laptops that I need some migration/transfer of their respective SSDs from one to the other. Here's the general current setupLaptop ==>ABCManufacturerDellDellDellModelInspiron non-5558Inspiron 5558Latitude 5500RAM8GB16GB16GB or...
  6. SSD migration across multiple laptops same manufacturer/different model

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD migration across multiple laptops same manufacturer/different model: Essentially, except for Laptop C, I have three 3 laptops that I need some migration/transfer of their respective SSDs from one to the other. Here's the general current setupLaptop ==>ABCManufacturerDellDellDellModelInspiron non-5558Inspiron 5558Latitude 5500RAM8GB16GB16GB or...
  7. SSD migration across multiple laptops same manufacturer/different model

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Should an SSD make a sound?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Should an SSD make a sound?: So, doing my disk checking for errors, I have noticed when I check an SSD it makes a low volume, high pitched noise (a bit like in the movies when computer text is being typed on-screen ). I use a 240GB PNY, 240GB Kingston, A really old OCZ Agility3 120GB, and Vertex2 240GB....
  9. making a fresh start after windows 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    making a fresh start after windows 10 upgrade: I want to reset my laptop but i since windows 10 upgrade it seems i can't without a license or a product key. i own an HP pavilion razer 15 gaming laptop .I just got this laptop from my son and know nothing about it. im wanting to reset to learn from the begining. thank...
  10. Swap Fresh Windows 7 SSD into Windows 10 Laptop >> Possible?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Swap Fresh Windows 7 SSD into Windows 10 Laptop >> Possible?: Hi guys, I have a quick (trick) question. Let's say I have a brand new Windows 10 laptop which came with an HDD. Let's say that this laptop is UEFI-based and it proved to be locked up by the manufacturer, meaning that I am unable to disable Secure Boot and enable...