Windows 10: Upgrading laptop to SSD after Windows 10 installation

Discus and support Upgrading laptop to SSD after Windows 10 installation in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello all, I have a Dell laptop, XPS L501X, and have just upgraded it to Windows 10 (v 1903). The computer is 64bit, 8GB installed RAM, Intel i5... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KamKumar, Aug 31, 2019.

1. KamKumar Win User

Upgrading laptop to SSD after Windows 10 installation

Hello all,

I have a Dell laptop, XPS L501X, and have just upgraded it to Windows 10 (v 1903). The computer is 64bit, 8GB installed RAM, Intel i5 CPU and bought in 2011/12.

All seems to be going surprisingly well and I feel the upgrade has given the computer a new lease of life. I am therefore thinking I should upgrade to SSD internal drive - the computer is really great for my needs even though it seems a bit old otherwise).

I plan to have the SSD professionally fitted but want to buy the SSD myself from amazon or such like. Not being very knowledgeable about these things, I'm just a bit confused by the types and sizes but want ITB minimum if possible, ideally Samsung Evo as it seems to be highly regarded.

Can anyone suggest exactly what I should get, specs wise or SSD, so that it fits my computer and is most compatible to optimise performance?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Kam

:)

KamKumar, Aug 31, 2019

2. Windows 10 upgrade rant..

The free space shouldn't prevent you from upgrading to built 1607. I manually upgraded my own laptop which had only 9gigs free space left on the system drive.

I unzipped the Windows 10 Pro anniversary edition ISO on my D drive, and started the upgrade process from there. At one point the installer complained about not having enough free space on the main drive, i just had to point it to the D drive to proceed to the next step. Now the rollback installation is stored there and doesn't clog up the C drive anymore.

In your case you could insert a large sdcard to act as the required rollback drive, i'm pretty sure it would do the trick.

Oh and by the way, if you want to further compress your System files:
    • do a search Command Prompt, right-click it, and select Run as administrator.
    • Type COMPACT.EXE /CompactOS:always and hit Enter.
    You'll will gain anything from 2 to 4 gigs free space after it's done.

blobster21, Aug 31, 2019
  3. Win 10 clean install question

This is what I would do:
    • Shrink the hard drive partition until it's small enough to fit on the SSD.
    • Clone the Windows 8.1 setup to the SSD.
    • Boot off the SSD and make sure that Windows 8.1 is happy (i.e., no complaints about activation).
    • Upgrade to Windows 10 on the SSD.
    This way, you know that Windows 8.1 has a valid setup on the SSD before doing anything else. Plus, the Windows 10 upgrade will be processed much faster on the SSD. Finally, you still have the hard drive setup to fall back to if anything goes wrong.

Static~Charge, Aug 31, 2019
  4. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Aug 31, 2019
Thema:

1. Upgrading laptop to SSD after Windows 10 installation - Similar Threads - Upgrading laptop SSD

2. Upgrading SSD in laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading SSD in laptop: I have a dell laptop with 128g ssd. I want to upgrade this to 512gb ssd. How do I keep my W11 pro license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-ssd-in-laptop/cf84958b-7df9-4e07-a86d-9e2d499c3bc1
  3. Poor laptop performance after SSD upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Poor laptop performance after SSD upgrade: Hello, I own an Asus Laptop which initially had a 1 HDD with a DVD Drive slot. After a year I decided to install an SSD. So I went to a computer repair shop and asked to replace the DVD Drive with a SATA SSD. But I don't know why he did this. He opened the DVD writer; fine....
  4. Poor laptop performance after SSD upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Poor laptop performance after SSD upgrade: Hello, I own an Asus Laptop which initially had a 1 HDD with a DVD Drive slot. After a year I decided to install an SSD. So I went to a computer repair shop and asked to replace the DVD Drive with a SATA SSD. But I don't know why he did this. He opened the DVD writer; fine....
  5. Window 11 installation after HDD to SSD upgradation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window 11 installation after HDD to SSD upgradation: hi, I am using a windows 10 home version and recently I got update notification to change my OS to Windows 11. But since I am planning to change my HDD to SSD, I would like to know whether I can install Windows 11 directly after hard disk updation. If so how can I install...
  6. Window 11 installation after HDD to SSD upgradation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window 11 installation after HDD to SSD upgradation: hi, I am using a windows 10 home version and recently I got update notification to change my OS to Windows 11. But since I am planning to change my HDD to SSD, I would like to know whether I can install Windows 11 directly after hard disk updation. If so how can I install...
  7. upgrading SSD and install windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    upgrading SSD and install windows 10: if i will replace my ssd with a new one, when i install win10 it will be still genuine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-ssd-and-install-windows-10/d8d030aa-3980-479d-beee-04c566b575b2
  8. failed installation after ssd upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    failed installation after ssd upgrade: Hi I upgraded my Dell all in one PC to ssd, and then i installed windows through a usb flash drive, after the installation windows restarted and then stayed by the opening page where it says dell... it would not move to startup.... i tried restarting it a couple times,...
  9. Install after upgrading to SSD drive

Install after upgrading to SSD drive: I have a desktop one with windows 10 and the other with windows 7. I like to install a SSD drive on the window 7 PC and put 7 back on or if i have to install windows 10. Does anyone have any idea what the best way to go about this. I wanted to keep one of my pc with windows 7...
  10. laptop upgraded to 10 is very slow now. install SSD?

laptop upgraded to 10 is very slow now. install SSD?: I feel sure that the portable is just not current enough on hardware and marginal on RAM. So I plan to replace the existing HD with a SSD. Thelaptop is a Dell E5510. I am so far unfamiliar with W10 and do not know how to determine what the processor is, size of the HDD,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. samsung ssd t5 setup