Windows 10: Upgrading M.2 NVMe drives in Laptop - Disk format sector size change

Discus and support Upgrading M.2 NVMe drives in Laptop - Disk format sector size change in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, recently bought a Honor Magicbook 15 2020 AMD Ryzen 5 4500U 8gb (2 x 4GB Hynix 2667MHz) 500gb m.2 NVMe (WD SN530) UEFI BIOS - InsydeH20 v1.05... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by disk459, May 4, 2021.

1. disk459 Win User

Upgrading M.2 NVMe drives in Laptop - Disk format sector size change

Hi, recently bought a Honor Magicbook 15 2020 AMD Ryzen 5 4500U 8gb (2 x 4GB Hynix 2667MHz) 500gb m.2 NVMe (WD SN530) UEFI BIOS - InsydeH20 v1.05 Windows 10 Home (20H2) Bought the 15" version as it has internal space for a 2nd drive (2.5" SSD) though a smaller battery than the 14" version. Note: specific connector kits are available, I bought one but then found that the required connector socket had not been soldered to the M/B in my version - So larger SSD main drive required. I have a problem when Upgrading the SSD to a larger drive (Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB) (Both are PCIe 3.0 M.2 2280) The WD drive is formatted with 512 byte sectors (don't know if 512 or 512e) and the Sabrent drive is formatted with 4096 byte sectors. Is there any way to copy over the existing Windows installation & recovery partitions - from a 512 to a 4096 (bytes/sector) SSD. I know that the drive cannot be successfully cloned - is there a way to do this via an image, if so - how? Don't think that most cloning/imaging software (easus etc.) can do this. Macrium Reflect (free) showed a 512/4096 sector problem, the paid version may - by converting to 512e sectors, but I would prefer to run with a 4096 sector size Alternative is to reinstall everything from a USB created from a MS download and lose the recovery partitions Is there a master of the universe out there... somewhere..

:)

disk459, May 4, 2021
  2. disk459 Win User

Hi, recently bought a Honor Magicbook 15 2020
    AMD Ryzen 5 4500U
    8gb (2 x 4GB Hynix 2667MHz)
    500gb m.2 NVMe (WD SN530)
    UEFI BIOS - InsydeH20 v1.05
    Windows 10 Home (20H2)

Bought the 15" version as it has internal space for a 2nd drive (2.5" SSD) though a smaller battery than the 14" version.
    Note: specific connector kits are available, I bought one but then found that the required connector socket had not been soldered to the M/B in my version - So larger SSD main drive required.

I have a problem when Upgrading the SSD to a larger drive (Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB) (Both are PCIe 3.0 M.2 2280)

The WD drive is formatted with 512 byte sectors (don't know if 512 or 512e) and the Sabrent drive is formatted with 4096 byte sectors.

Is there any way to copy over the existing Windows installation & recovery partitions - from a 512 to a 4096 (bytes/sector) SSD. I know that the drive cannot be successfully cloned - is there a way to do this via an image, if so - how?

Don't think that most cloning/imaging software (easus etc.) can do this. Macrium Reflect (free) showed a 512/4096 sector problem, the paid version may - by converting to 512e sectors, but I would prefer to run with a 4096 sector size

Alternative is to reinstall everything from a USB created from a MS download and lose the recovery partitions

Is there a master of the universe out there... somewhere..

disk459, May 4, 2021
  3. spunk Win User

When you Clone an SSD/HDD from one drive to another, the Destination drive is wiped during the process and the Format sector size is copied from the Source SSD/HDD along with all the files making it a Mirror copy of the Source drive to the Destination drive.

spunk, May 4, 2021
  4. bobkn Win User

Issue with upgrading to m.2 NVME, Help?

I've done what "ignatzsonic" has done, multiple times.

Image the existing SSD to another drive, which could be the internal HD or an external one. Use the imaging software to create a bootable USB rescue drive. Swap SSDs. Boot from the USB rescue drive, and restore the image to the new SSD. Use Disk Management to resize the main partition if the new SSD is larger than the old, and the imaging software didn't already do that.

Is the laptop in question the ASUS FX553VD? A little Web search suggests that it supports NVME M.2 SSDs, but I wish that I was certain. It worries me slightly that Crucial doesn't list any M.2 NVME SSD upgrades for it.

bobkn, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Upgrading M.2 NVMe drives in Laptop - Disk format sector size change - Similar Threads - Upgrading NVMe drives

2. Trouble upgrading nvme m.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble upgrading nvme m.2 SSD: HiI have a Lenovo Yoga 6 13ALC6 AMD Ryzen5 5500Uwith a 256gb nvme m.2 SSD running windows 11 home.I am wanting to swap the 256gb Toshiba SSD for a 1tb Samsung 970 Evo Plus.After initialising the drive in windows disk management I have tried using Samsungs migration tool to...
  3. Trouble upgrading nvme m.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trouble upgrading nvme m.2 SSD: HiI have a Lenovo Yoga 6 13ALC6 AMD Ryzen5 5500Uwith a 256gb nvme m.2 SSD running windows 11 home.I am wanting to swap the 256gb Toshiba SSD for a 1tb Samsung 970 Evo Plus.After initialising the drive in windows disk management I have tried using Samsungs migration tool to...
  4. How to clone SATA m.2 drive to NVMe m.2 drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to clone SATA m.2 drive to NVMe m.2 drive?: My Del l 7370 came with a SATA M.2 dirve and I want to upgrade it with a larger NVMe M.2 drive. Using Acronis True Image to clone the drive with all partitions stay as is without any resizing. The resulted drive can not be booted. The system tried to do automatic repair but...
  5. How to clone SATA m.2 drive to NVMe m.2 drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to clone SATA m.2 drive to NVMe m.2 drive?: My Del l 7370 came with a SATA M.2 dirve and I want to upgrade it with a larger NVMe M.2 drive. Using Acronis True Image to clone the drive with all partitions stay as is without any resizing. The resulted drive can not be booted. The system tried to do automatic repair but...
  6. Upgrade m.2 NVMe 256GB SSD to a larger m.2 NVMe SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade m.2 NVMe 256GB SSD to a larger m.2 NVMe SSD: I have an HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini PC and would like to change the boot WD_Black SN720 256GB NVMe m.2 SSD for a WD_Black SN850 500GB NVMe m.2 SSD.There are 2 NVMe M.2 slots and already have installed a WD_Black SN750 1TB NVMe Internal SSD in the second slot as a Data...
  7. Issue with upgrading to m.2 NVME, Help?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Issue with upgrading to m.2 NVME, Help?: So the issue is that I want to change my m.2 sata for a brand new m.2 NVME but I can't find another to way to install it until I can find a way to remove my existing m.2 sata. I don't want to reinstall Windows because that would be bothersome in many different ways. The only...
  8. Upgrading laptop m.2 SSD with an NVMe drive and have a question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading laptop m.2 SSD with an NVMe drive and have a question: My HP laptop came with a 128GB m.2 SSD that is unfortunately running out of space. I am planning to replace it with a 512GB NVMe drive. I thought about trying to clone the current drive to the new one, but that seems like more work than I'm willing to put in. I'd rather just...
  9. Upgrading my Samsung EVO NVMe M.2 drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading my Samsung EVO NVMe M.2 drive: I'm looking for advice about upgrading my NVMe drive on my desktop PC. My Windows 10 desktop PC uses a 250Gb Samsung EVO NVMe M.2 as the boot (C:) drive. I recently bought a Samsung 500Gb EVO Plus NVMe M.2 to upgrade it. What's the best way to do this? Or must I replace the...
  10. Windows is not recognizing an NVMe M.2 drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows is not recognizing an NVMe M.2 drive: Have Win 10Pro everything is fine except I can Not get a new NVMe M.2 to be recognized correctly by the OS it sees it as a SATA even though it is in a M.2 slot on Motherboard. I need more of an order of things to be done between the BIOS and Win 10. I installed a Samsung 970...