Windows 10: Upgrading motherboard etc affect license?

Discus and support Upgrading motherboard etc affect license? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I had my PC installed with Windows 8 around 2014 I think and a retail license which I have by an IT engineer. Since then, I've been upgraded to Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Triker2, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Triker2 Win User

Upgrading motherboard etc affect license?

I had my PC installed with Windows 8 around 2014 I think and a retail license which I have by an IT engineer. Since then, I've been upgraded to Windows 10 Pro v1809 which has been activated with a digital license linked to my MS account.

My situation is I'm updating my motherboard, HDD to SSD, RAM and CPU. My old HDD I'll keep as an external HDD and run from my SSD. My questions are, do I copy my Windows 10 Pro file from the old HDD to my SSD and will my retail license for Windows 8 be accepted and I assume Windows 10 Pro will be activated?

This by the way is all new to me as I normally use outside help.

Best wishes, B9

:)

Triker2, Mar 11, 2020

2. Windows 10 and upgrading motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa (replied
    on July 26, 2015) in the following thread:

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Mar 11, 2020
  3. KJeffries Win User
    Upgrading Motherboard

Hello! I plan on upgrading my PC's motherboard and the CPU. I have an AMD machine with a fx-8350 and I plan on upgrading to a Ryzen 5. I'd also have to switch my current motherboard, m5a97 r2.0, to a newer model that supports the Ryzen. How will my Windows
    license be affected? Will I have to buy a new license or will it still use the one on my hard drive? Thanks!

KJeffries, Mar 11, 2020
  4. Upgrading motherboard etc affect license?

windows 10 activation after upgrading motherboard

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

If its a retail license, learn how to reactivate:

Andre Da Costa, Mar 11, 2020
Thema:

Upgrading motherboard etc affect license?

1. Upgrading motherboard etc affect license? - Similar Threads - Upgrading motherboard etc

2. Motherboard Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Motherboard Upgrade: I want to upgrade my motherboard from Gigabyte A320M-H to MSI X470 Gaming Pro. Do I need to reinstall Windows? or could i just uninstall old motherboard drivers or will i run into issues in the future?...
  3. Motherboard Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Motherboard Upgrade: I want to upgrade my motherboard from Gigabyte A320M-H to MSI X470 Gaming Pro. Do I need to reinstall Windows? or could i just uninstall old motherboard drivers or will i run into issues in the future?...
  4. Motherboard upgrade and OEM License

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Motherboard upgrade and OEM License: I plan on upgrading my motherboard but worried that I have to buy Windows 10 again due to my license being an OEM. Is there a way to transfer that license to a new motherboard?...
  5. Replace motherboard,etc without losing data - or Win10 license ??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replace motherboard,etc without losing data - or Win10 license ??: I have a Windows 10 Pro (Windows 10 [Version 6.3.19042]) system here that I am very happy with; all SSDs, including an M.2 NVMe drive for games, excellent video card, tons of USB 3 slots. However, my motherboard is an 8-year-old Gigabyte with Core i7-3820. So I've purchased a...
  6. License and changing motherboard

License and changing motherboard: Hi Guys I am changing motherboard soon and I heard that Windows 10 store license in the motherboard ? how and where it was stored ? how to move license to new motherboard ? Thanks 150648
  7. Upgrading Windows 10 Motherboard without affecting the Raid

Upgrading Windows 10 Motherboard without affecting the Raid: I currently have a small media server like setup using some old computer parts of mine, with Windows 10 Prof OEM setup on a SSD and 2 x 2Tb storage HDDs, which are partitioned to allow for a 500Gb software raid 1 per HDD (for redundancy) and the rest setup as software raid 0...
  8. Upgrade motherboard

Upgrade motherboard: Hi, I purchased a gaming pc for my son for Xmas and he wants to upgrade his motherboard it has an oem version of windows 10 will I be able to transfer the os or have to purchase a new copy of windows? So much conflicting info on internet so confused!...
  9. upgrading my motherboard, what happens to my license?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    upgrading my motherboard, what happens to my license?: If I replace my motherboard, will I still keep my windows 10 license (free upgrade done)? My Windows Activated Product ID: 00330-80000-00000-AA178 Changing my motherboard from the old GA-EG31M-S2 to GA-H61M-S2V-B3 My hard-drive stays the same!...
  10. Upgrading MotherBoard

Upgrading MotherBoard: I am going to upgrade my mb cpu and ram. After this can I do an install with keeping my settings etc or do I need to a clean install? I keep most of my software on my D drive anyway. When I had to do a clean install because of a drive failure I just linked all my D drive...