Windows 10: Upgrading motherboard, OEM windows 10. Do I need to purchase windows again?

Discus and support Upgrading motherboard, OEM windows 10. Do I need to purchase windows again? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I will be upgrading my motherboard in the future, but my version of windows is an OEM key. However, in activation I am told that "windows is activated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by lane203m, Nov 28, 2019.

1. lane203m Win User

Upgrading motherboard, OEM windows 10. Do I need to purchase windows again?

I will be upgrading my motherboard in the future, but my version of windows is an OEM key. However, in activation I am told that "windows is activated with a digital license linked to [my] ms account"

Does this mean I can change motherboards without purchasing a new key? Do i need to reinstall windows at all, or can I simply move my ssd over to the new board? Is it possible to change what hardware my key is linked to through my Microsoft account?

:)

lane203m, Nov 28, 2019
  2. Guest1 Win User

Windows 10 Release Date Announced

Windows 10 Home will be $119, Pro $199.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-windows-10-home-costs-119-pro-costs-199

Which is good news actually, because Windows 8.1 is loads cheaper than previous versions (retail licensing at Windows 7 OEM prices). And it sort of puts a huge hole in the Windows subscription theory.

Guest1, Nov 28, 2019
  3. Guest2 Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Guest2, Nov 28, 2019
  4. Guest3 Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Guest3, Nov 28, 2019
Thema:

1. Upgrading motherboard, OEM windows 10. Do I need to purchase windows again? - Similar Threads - Upgrading motherboard OEM

2. Upgrading cpu, motherboard and ram, do i need to reinstall windows?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading cpu, motherboard and ram, do i need to reinstall windows?: Hello i am using i5 3gen with h61 motherboard and i am upgrading with i5 11 gen with new motherboard and ram and im gona use my old ssd so do i need to reintall windows or just driver update gona work...
  3. Upgrading cpu and motherboard, do i need to reinstall windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading cpu and motherboard, do i need to reinstall windows?: Hello guys,so i just ordered a new motherboard and CPU, but a friend of mine said I maybe need to reinstall windows if neededso my question was do I need to reinstall windows and do I need to backup my PC, what do I need to do if I need to reinstall windows?I'm upgrading from...
  4. Upgrading cpu and motherboard, do i need to reinstall windows?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading cpu and motherboard, do i need to reinstall windows?: Hello guys,so i just ordered a new motherboard and CPU, but a friend of mine said I maybe need to reinstall windows if neededso my question was do I need to reinstall windows and do I need to backup my PC, what do I need to do if I need to reinstall windows?I'm upgrading from...
  5. Upgrading cpu and motherboard, do i need to reinstall windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Do i need to purchase windows again for Motherboard swap

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Do i need to purchase windows again for Motherboard swap: i know this seems like a dumb questions but i do have windows 10 home on my M.2 SSD and ive had 2 mother board changes with lenovo but im thinking to get a new mother board from a different company will i need to purchase a new product key or is there a way to keep my version...
  7. Motherboard upgrade and OEM License

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Motherboard upgrade and OEM License: I plan on upgrading my motherboard but worried that I have to buy Windows 10 again due to my license being an OEM. Is there a way to transfer that license to a new motherboard?...
  8. Do I need to purchase Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Do I need to purchase Windows 10: I already have a laptop with Windows 10 on it and I’m getting parts to build a pc, can I install Windows 10 without having to fork over like $100 for it? This will ultimately affect the overall budget for the pc so obviously I’d like to not pay for another instance of it if I...
  9. OEM windows 10 on new motherboard

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    OEM windows 10 on new motherboard: So my old motherboard has died and my understanding of the win 10 OEM license is that it is tied to the motherboard - Firstly will windows 10 cope fairly well with a new motherboard and processor come the first boot? (Hoping to not reinstall if I can help it) Secondly, will...
  10. Do I need to reinstall windows when upgrading my motherboard?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Do I need to reinstall windows when upgrading my motherboard?: Hi, I am soon going to be upgrading my motherboard and cpu. I am going from a z370 chipset to an x570 chipset. I am currently running windows 10 pro. Do i need to reinstall windows? If not, is there any drivers that i need to remove? Some places say that you should reinstall,...