Windows 10: Upgrading my computer to a 64 bit os,

Discus and support Upgrading my computer to a 64 bit os, in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; In trying to upgrade my computer to a 64 bit os, I downloaded the Microsoft Win 10 Download tool. I created the installatio media with both a USB flash... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by WayneMathews1, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Upgrading my computer to a 64 bit os,

In trying to upgrade my computer to a 64 bit os, I downloaded the Microsoft Win 10 Download tool. I created the installatio media with both a USB flash drive as well as a DVD. Each time I tried to do the installation it went to the 32bit os even though I had checked the 64bit os. After trying several times and thinking that the installation media wasn't being accessed by the startup, even though I set the USB and then the DVD player as the first drive to boot from. After several failures of getting it to boot from either the USB or the DVD, I disconnected the hard drive and got the message it couldn't find a bootable file. I reconnected the hard drive but have continued to get that same message. I haven't been able to make any progress from that point. Any suggestions?

:)

WayneMathews1, Sep 19, 2018
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Is it worth upgrading to 64-bit OS?

Hi there
    @Gelbs

Actually it's not only the RAM -- if your CPU is 64 bit enabled running a 32 bit OS on it actually increases the instruction lengths .

Sometimes the "pre-fetch" needs to get several instructions and the computation of virtual memory is a bit different when a 32 bit OS is considered - with a 64 bit OS the addressing scheme is essentially "1-level" as address can be directly computed whereas in a 32 bit os you have to calculate "virtual page etc" like a 2 element array.

Discussing how demand and virtual paging operates at the detail level is a bit beyond the scope of this post but if you have 4GB RAM in your computer it's worthwhile installing the 64 Bit os. You won't see a huge difference in say email or word processing but you buy into "future proofing" and you will definitely get better performance on CPU bound tasks (Photoshop, video editing etc).

I even run 64 bit VM's with as little as 1GB RAM allocated !!! they usually work fine.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 19, 2018
  3. 64-bit OS with 2GB RAM

I understand that if I have 4GB+ RAM then a 32-bit OS likely will not be able to see all the RAM. Therefore, one should install a 64-bit OS. My question however is a little different.

I have 2GB RAM right now in my computer. But someday I hope to be able to go to 4GB. So my question is should I install 64-bit OS right now with the 2GB RAM I have? I'm sure it will install, but I wanted to know if my computer will run slower.

Just trying to figure out if I should wait and reinstall 64-bit OS after I upgrade to 4GB or save myself the trouble right now.

Thanks in advance.

TripleDesi, Sep 19, 2018
  4. Upgrading my computer to a 64 bit os,

With 4GB RAM, i should install 32-bit or 64-bit OS

this is my desktop

Upgrading my computer to a 64 bit os, [​IMG]

present i install 64-bit but I need suggestions of people.

vinh9911176, Sep 19, 2018
Thema:

Upgrading my computer to a 64 bit os,

1. Upgrading my computer to a 64 bit os, - Similar Threads - Upgrading computer bit

2. Upgrade to 64 bit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to 64 bit: IS THERE A WAY TO UPGRADE 64 BIT WITHOUT NO LOSING DATA? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-to-64-bit/6e6434b8-2747-40d9-a0c1-c7a24feef665
  3. Unable to upgrade my laptop OS from 32-bit to 64-bit.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to upgrade my laptop OS from 32-bit to 64-bit.: I have been trying to change the OS from an 32-bit one to an 64-bit one. The laptop initially came with 32-bit Windows 7 installed. However, it has 64-bit based processor, which means it supports 64-bit OS. When I upgraded to Windows 10, there was no options to change system...
  4. Trying to upgrade my laptop OS from 32-bit to 64-bit. It has a 64-bit processor which means...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to upgrade my laptop OS from 32-bit to 64-bit. It has a 64-bit processor which means...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/GazeK2 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/euei9v/trying_to_upgrade_my_laptop_os_from_32bit_to/
  5. Is 64 bit OS useful??????.

Is 64 bit OS useful??????.: Independent of ram, Installing 64 bit OS is useful or not????? Some are saying that installing 64 bit OS is not much useful. As it uses double amount of data than 32 bit. Even we have more than 4 GB ram like 6 GB ram, they are telling that it doesn't improve much...
  6. About 64 bit OS??????

About 64 bit OS??????: My motherboard : Asus. Model:P5QPL-AM. My OS:windows 10 pro 1903. Architecture:32 bit. Currently I have ram:2 GB. If I buy a 4 GB ram and make it 6 GB, Now, is 64 bit OS is useful than 32 bit???? If I buy 2 GB ram and make it 4 GB ram, Now, is 64 bit OS...
  7. How to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit OS????????

How to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit OS????????: My desktop had windows 10 pro installed. But it is 32 bit OS. My processor is X64 capable..... I want to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit OS with the same product key for 32 bit...... What should I do????? Please explain me detail.................
  8. will upgrading to 64 bit OS remove previous users from the computer?

will upgrading to 64 bit OS remove previous users from the computer?: hey i am pretty sure that upgrading to 64 bit OS will remove all the data from local disk c but i was wondering if i upgraded from 32 bit to 64 bit , will that remove previous users from the computer?(my computer has more than one)....
  9. Windows 64 bit OS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 64 bit OS: Running Windows 10 Pro on an Asus notebook. System information shows the system as a 64 bit OS with an x64-based processor. However, when I open the CMD prompt the system is shown as C:\WINDOWS\system32 On drive C: > WINDOWS there is a folder System32 I upgraded from...
  10. Is it worth upgrading to 64-bit OS?

Is it worth upgrading to 64-bit OS?: I basically have an old Lenovo laptop (Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8700 2.53GHz and only 3GB RAM), and it's upgraded to the latest 1607 Windows version. However, it's only 32-bit when my processor is 64-bit based. I can't really be arsed to have to wipe everything to switch over to...