Windows 10: Upgrading my desktop

Discus and support Upgrading my desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello,Just became a member here last nightm Looking to upgrade my desktop,The one that I have running is an oldish one that I upgraded to windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by menu, Jan 31, 2016.

1. menu Win User

Upgrading my desktop

Hello,Just became a member here last nightm

Looking to upgrade my desktop,The one that I have running is an oldish one that I upgraded to windows 10 from the existing windows 7.
    It's a biostar mother board and has only the option of 4GB ram.So looking for something more up to date and maybe futre proof for the next 5/7 years.
    Been looking at quite a few on line but not educated enough on computers to make a final decision,So maybe some member here can help me out with some knowledge on the new desktop.I would like to have the O/S on a ssd then all other doc's on a second internal drive.

Been looking at one here...Any thoughts on this Please.

Sorry cant seem to get the link in forums,Maybe copy and paste into your browser.

Buy Zoostorm Core i5 4460 120GB 3TB 8GB WiFi Desktop PC at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Desktop computers and all in ones.

:)

2. Upgrading Win User

My Nokia C3 is not supporting softwares

I have tried so many ways to download softwares, but to my efforts are all fruitless. When i go to other sites to download and install softwares, the place to download the software will not even be active and when i download from ovi store it is not supported.
    What should i do to end this problem?

Upgrading, Jan 31, 2016
  3. DelNoble Win User
    My Desktop - No upgrades?

yes, on both accounts.

When Win10 came out, my computers were automatically updated to Win10. The laptop keeps getting Win10 updates, but the desktop no longer receive updates.

And yes, both computer have the same licence-key.

DelNoble, Jan 31, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Upgrading my desktop

Looks good but doesn't seem to list a graphic card, onboard one is not enough for gaming.

CountMike, Jan 31, 2016
  5. menu Win User
    Thanks very much for the reply.

Regarding your thoughts,I don't play any games anyway.

Thanks.Any more suggestions from others I would appreciate the advice.

6. The SSD is a little small, depending on how many apps you plan to install. If possible, I'd go with a 256 or bigger, based on your needs. You would have a ton of storage space, though, with the 3 TB drive.

DeaconFrost, Jan 31, 2016
  7. menu Win User
    Many thanks to you.

Been thinking hard about this item,And yes I will take the plunge.
    Regarding the SSD I will run it for a while with the 120gb then see how thing develop,May go for a larger one with using the macrium reflect software.

Thanks all.Hope to see you all soon.

menu, Feb 1, 2016
  8. menu Win User

Upgrading my desktop

May I ask one other point Please.This PC that I'm going to get it has the 8.1 O/S and able to upgrade wo W10.
    I have an iso of windows 10 can I upgrade by using that iso disc?
    Thanks in advance.

menu, Feb 1, 2016
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    Yes..

BunnyJ, Feb 1, 2016
  10. menu Win User
    Hi.
    Well got the new desktop.It's all running well.
    Just one small point that I would like to clarify Please.

As you know that the main C drive is a ssd and that holds the operating system.
    It also has a second hdd (Not SSD)installed on that I have all my documents pictures etc.When I leave the desktop running then go back to it maybe 60mins later and select the documents tile in the start ,It take a second or two to open up and the sound that comes from the tower is that the hdd has gone to sleep and can hear it starting up.
    It's not causing any prob's but is that setup okay or is there a settings in the power setup for this hdd??
    Many thanks for reading my question.

11. There is a setting for this, this is from a Laptop so yours might be slightly different
    Power Settings then click on the advanced button

Upgrading my desktop [​IMG]

paulsalter, Feb 27, 2016
  12. WHS
    whs Win User
    It is usually cheaper to buy the SSD separately rather than as part of the PC package. But maybe that is different in the UK.

13. menu Win User

Upgrading my desktop

Thanks Both.

Paul.Did have at your image and yes it was set to 20mins.Thank You once again.*Thumbs

Wolfgang.Nice to see you back in action,Regarding the ssd the drive was installed as a new build.Thank You once again.*Thumbs

14. menu Win User
    PS.How often would you recommend to make an image of the C drive with using macrium reflect?

I also backup the other hdd with using the Microsoft sync toy.

Thanks Once again.

David.

15. WHS
    whs Win User
    I make a new image whenever there was a significant new update. That can be 3 times per week or 3 times per month. The day you need to recover the system from an image you do not want to work with an image from last year. Then you lose all the work (and files) from last year to now. Bottom line - the more you image the better is your chance to lose little work and few files if you have to recover with the latest image.

Thema:

Upgrading my desktop

1. Upgrading my desktop - Similar Threads - Upgrading desktop

2. Cant upgrade my desktop but can upgrade my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant upgrade my desktop but can upgrade my laptop: My laptop is windows 10/with 4 gig mem not upgradable. The upgrade says I can go to windows 11 for free if I chose. My desktop just upgraded to 32 gig mem, with two trig hardrives. The desktop says I cant upgrade to windows 11 cause of hardware issues. Has a I5 processor and...
  3. Cant upgrade my desktop but can upgrade my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant upgrade my desktop but can upgrade my laptop: My laptop is windows 10/with 4 gig mem not upgradable. The upgrade says I can go to windows 11 for free if I chose. My desktop just upgraded to 32 gig mem, with two trig hardrives. The desktop says I cant upgrade to windows 11 cause of hardware issues. Has a I5 processor and...
  4. Cant upgrade my desktop but can upgrade my laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Recently upgraded to Windows 11 and now there no major icons/apps on the taskbar and desktop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recently upgraded to Windows 11 and now there no major icons/apps on the taskbar and desktop.: Earlier today I upgraded my Lenovo 2021 laptop to windows 11 from windows 10 and now when I log in and enter the background with the taskbar nothing shows besides the windows 10 style taskbar and an arrow pointing up on it with several apps on it that I can open.The only...
  6. Recently upgraded to Windows 11 and now there no major icons/apps on the taskbar and desktop.

Recently upgraded to Windows 11 and now there no major icons/apps on the taskbar and desktop.: Earlier today I upgraded my Lenovo 2021 laptop to windows 11 from windows 10 and now when I log in and enter the background with the taskbar nothing shows besides the windows 10 style taskbar and an arrow pointing up on it with several apps on it that I can open.The only...
  7. All games are crashing to desktop since PC upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All games are crashing to desktop since PC upgrade: I recently upgraded my PC hardware and OS and have a clean install of Windows 11 Home. All of these games worked without any issues on my older build with Win 10. Ever since the upgrade I have been having a constant problem with all my games crashing even if they are not...
  8. All games are crashing to desktop since PC upgrade

All games are crashing to desktop since PC upgrade: I recently upgraded my PC hardware and OS and have a clean install of Windows 11 Home. All of these games worked without any issues on my older build with Win 10. Ever since the upgrade I have been having a constant problem with all my games crashing even if they are not...
  9. If I upgrade from Windows 7 to WIndows 10 will I lose all my desktop icons and everything...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I upgrade from Windows 7 to WIndows 10 will I lose all my desktop icons and everything...: Hi all,I am wondering about upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 now if I upgrade my current operating system will I lose all my desktop icons meaning would I have to start again from scratch? I am not formatting the drive or anything so I know nothing will be lost I'm just...
  10. If I upgrade from Windows 7 to WIndows 10 will I lose all my desktop icons and everything...

If I upgrade from Windows 7 to WIndows 10 will I lose all my desktop icons and everything...: Hi all,I am wondering about upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 now if I upgrade my current operating system will I lose all my desktop icons meaning would I have to start again from scratch? I am not formatting the drive or anything so I know nothing will be lost I'm just...