Windows 10: upgrading my motherboard, what happens to my license?

Discus and support upgrading my motherboard, what happens to my license? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; If I replace my motherboard, will I still keep my windows 10 license (free upgrade done)? My Windows Activated Product ID: 00330-80000-00000-AA178... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KurtPlociennik, Sep 16, 2018.

1. upgrading my motherboard, what happens to my license?

If I replace my motherboard, will I still keep my windows 10 license (free upgrade done)?

My Windows Activated Product ID: 00330-80000-00000-AA178

Changing my motherboard from the old GA-EG31M-S2 to GA-H61M-S2V-B3

My hard-drive stays the same!

:)

KurtPlociennik, Sep 16, 2018

2. Windows 10 and upgrading motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa (replied
    on July 26, 2015) in the following thread:

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Sep 16, 2018
  3. windows 10 activation after upgrading motherboard

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

If its a retail license, learn how to reactivate:

Andre Da Costa, Sep 16, 2018
  4. harshsyd Win User

upgrading my motherboard, what happens to my license?

Windows 10 License (after motherboard change)

Hi, so recently I built a PC in 2014 and now the motherboard is starting to go really fishy and I can feel it is slowly going to die.

I've got Windows 10 Pro installed on my PC, with a Gigabyte Motherboard. It was upgraded from Windows 8 Pro. Apparently it is a RETAIL version if I check via "cmd: slmgr -dli".

Now in a few days there's two things I might do; Replace my faulty motherboard to a new one (same model) OR since it is a second fail, change the motherboard from Gigabyte to ASUS.

Now I've got a few questions;

• If I replaced my motherboard to same gigabyte model (except the serial/ID will change for sure), Windows will mostly fail to activate right? If I change/replace to another same model motherboard, can I reactivate Windows? (I tried this on my first fail
      last year, and installing win8 and re-upgrading allowed me to activate).
    • If I changed motherboard from Gigabyte to ASUS, will I still be able to reactivate Windows?
    I've got my license linked to my Microsoft Account. I've online that after a hardware fail/change I can still activate Windows after all.

Also I got some questions on how this account links work;

• So if I linked my License to my MS Account, I should be able to activate on a motherboard replacement right? (Gigabyte model) - by clicking "I changed hardware recently".
    • How about if I change Motherboard to an ASUS one, will I still be able to activate via using MS Account Link?

Also one my first fail; I cannot remember for sure but I think I just input my Windows 8 key into Windows 10 on my first-time replaced Gigabyte mobo and activation was fine.

ALSO: As my license is Retail; And a Retail license should allow transfer rights, wouldn't I be able to transfer my license anyway from my current motherboard to my new replaced/new company mobo? If so, how would I perform this step? Would
    I need to deactivate on this faulty mobo first or what so?

Thanks! I'm a bit confused!

harshsyd, Sep 16, 2018
Thema:

upgrading my motherboard, what happens to my license?

1. upgrading my motherboard, what happens to my license? - Similar Threads - upgrading motherboard happens

2. Windows 11 Upgrade And what happens to my apps.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Upgrade And what happens to my apps.: So, I want to upgrade to windows 11 but I dont know what will happen to the i apps i have downloaded and the default apps, will i have to install the external apps again or will they still be there after upgrading to Windows 11?...
  3. Windows 11 Upgrade And what happens to my apps.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Upgrade And what happens to my apps.: So, I want to upgrade to windows 11 but I dont know what will happen to the i apps i have downloaded and the default apps, will i have to install the external apps again or will they still be there after upgrading to Windows 11?...
  4. Motherboard upgrade and OEM License

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Motherboard upgrade and OEM License: I plan on upgrading my motherboard but worried that I have to buy Windows 10 again due to my license being an OEM. Is there a way to transfer that license to a new motherboard?...
  5. What happens to my Storage Spaces array if I upgrade the motherboard?

in Windows 10 Support
    What happens to my Storage Spaces array if I upgrade the motherboard?: Currently running a home media server on Win 10 with six physical drives in a Storage Spaces array. Everything's fine. But the hardware is getting old, so I'd like to replace the motherboard (including CPU, DRAM, etc.) with slightly newer hardware. My question is, will...
  6. What is this problem, Happens with my laptop sometimes , I had my motherboard replaced a...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is this problem, Happens with my laptop sometimes , I had my motherboard replaced a...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Jaz108 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hb7cc2/what_is_this_problem_happens_with_my_laptop/
  7. upgrading my motherboard

upgrading my motherboard: I am planning to upgrade my motherboard so what are the steps i should make to transfer my windows licence https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-my-motherboard/9a115438-ea7e-4f0c-a0f0-266b945809da"
  8. If I upgrade my motherboard/CPU will my digital license be valid?

If I upgrade my motherboard/CPU will my digital license be valid?: Just as the title states, I'm going to upgrade my CPU/Motherboard. I'm wondering if my windows 10 pro digital license will be able to be transferred over? In case it matters, but I'm sure it doesn't, it will be from a core2quad to an i5 8th gen, I know MS had rules/issues...
  9. What happens to Win7 License after upgrading to Windows 10?

What happens to Win7 License after upgrading to Windows 10?: I have a Family 3-Pack of Windows 7 Home Premium installed and activated on 3 PCs using the same Product Key. If I upgrade one of the PCs to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, does that free up one of the Windows 7 licenses to use on another PC? 36816
  10. replace motherboard: what happens?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    replace motherboard: what happens?: If replaced original Foxconn N15235 motherboard (2007): chipset P4M890 Southbridge VT8237A CPU quadcore Q6600 2.4 GHz (socket LGA 775) with this one: Asus P5KPL-AM rev. 1.02g Chipset è Intel® G31 Intel ICH7 FSB è 1600*/1333/1066/800 MHz (*1600 is overclock...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 00330-80000-00000.-aa178

2. what happens to my digital license of windows 10 if my motherboard breaks

3. replaing mother board - what haapens to windows licencen