Windows 10: upgrading my motherboard

Discus and support upgrading my motherboard in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am planning to upgrade my motherboard so what are the steps i should make to transfer my windows licence... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by OmarMazen, Dec 9, 2019.

1. OmarMazen Win User

upgrading my motherboard

I am planning to upgrade my motherboard so what are the steps i should make to transfer my windows licence

:)

OmarMazen, Dec 9, 2019

2. Windows 10 and upgrading motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa (replied
    on July 26, 2015) in the following thread:

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Dec 9, 2019
  3. Choice of memory and motherboard... a bit stuck...

No one who got some suggestions on this one, huh?

I've found out that the Asus M3A78-T needs to be flashed, so then that motherboard is excluded from my list. Which motherboard and memory should I then go for? Any suggestions?

minstreless, Dec 9, 2019
  4. mshimala Win User

upgrading my motherboard

Windows saying not activated after motherboard upgrade

Hi,

I recently upgraded some PC parts (new motherboard, RAM, processor, video card) and ever since then I have a watermark in the bottom right of my display reading "Activate Windows - Go to Settings to activate Windows."

I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 back when they were allowing Windows 8 users to upgrade to Windows 10. I don't remember receiving an activation key during this upgrade.

I've read online that installing a new motherboard can occasionally cause issues with OS activation. How can I reactivate my Windows without having to purchase Windows 10.

Some things to note:
    • This watermark was not there prior to installing the new motherboard
    • As some places (and a Microsoft Tech Support member) suggested, typing the query "wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey" into CMD just returns with "OA3xOriginalProductKey". The Microsoft Support member seemed confused by this and said there was nothing further she could do.

Thanks!

mshimala, Dec 9, 2019
Thema:

upgrading my motherboard

1. upgrading my motherboard - Similar Threads - upgrading motherboard

2. Upgrading motherboard etc affect license?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading motherboard etc affect license?: I had my PC installed with Windows 8 around 2014 I think and a retail license which I have by an IT engineer. Since then, I've been upgraded to Windows 10 Pro v1809 which has been activated with a digital license linked to my MS account. My situation is I'm updating my...
  3. Will Win10 boot normally after upgrading to new Motherboard and CPU?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will Win10 boot normally after upgrading to new Motherboard and CPU?: I want to be as prepared as possible before I swap my Motherboard and CPU. Will Windows 10 boot like normal after I install the new parts and configure the BIOS? Will I have to make a fresh Windows installation? I've looked around a bit before coming to ask, and I found a...
  4. Windows not activating after I upgraded my motherboard and processor

Windows not activating after I upgraded my motherboard and processor: I've just upgraded my motherboard and processor and windows will not activate. I'm guessing it appears to be a whole new device maybe? If so, is there any way I can deactivate it on the old device and activate it on the new one?...
  5. Replaced Motherboard cannot activate windows, upgraded free to windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replaced Motherboard cannot activate windows, upgraded free to windows 10: Replaced motherboard yesturday, Cannot activate windows tried troubleshoot method to no end, nothing, i have my Installation ID but still doesnt work, i dont have a product key due to it being digital, not sure if system was signed into different email upon upgrade but,...
  6. Upgrading to new motherboard but already have windows on old ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading to new motherboard but already have windows on old ssd: If I upgrade to a new motherboard, would it be fine if I just connect my old ssd to it and boot windows from there or would there be complications? submitted by /u/Rocketmanjoey [link] [comments]...
  7. Changing Motherboard But Hoping to Avoid Having to Repeat All the Win10 Upgrades A Second Time

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing Motherboard But Hoping to Avoid Having to Repeat All the Win10 Upgrades A Second Time: Just over a year ago I built another PC for my home and purchased another licensed copy of Win10 x64 for that machine. Now I am replacing the motherboard and CPU on that machine and plan to do a clean Win10 install using my licensed copy of Win10 I also realize I will need to...
  8. No RAM specifications nor motherboard information. How to upgrade?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No RAM specifications nor motherboard information. How to upgrade?: Hi community, I have a custom built Desktop with Windows 10 - 64-bit system. I did not build the Desktop myself and I have no information anymore about the builder. I am trying to upgrade the RAM, but cannot find any information on the speed or type neither motherboard...
  9. Issue trying to reactivate windows after upgrading cpu and motherboard

Issue trying to reactivate windows after upgrading cpu and motherboard: So recently upgraded cpu and motherboard now when I try to reactivate windows I initially get 0xC004F211 error when I try the troubleshoot icon I get the green box that has 'I changed hardware on this device recently', I log into my account and it takes me to a screen where...
  10. Windows 10 reactivation through digital license after motherboard upgrade

Windows 10 reactivation through digital license after motherboard upgrade: I recently installed a new motherboard for my computer as I needed to upgrade my CPU. I heard that if I linked my windows 10 license to my Microsoft account I would be able to reactivate after a hardware change. I tried to reactivate but the troubleshooter kept giving me...