Windows 10: Upgrading (or even a clean install) to Windows 10 2004 fails with two errors: (BSOD)

Discus and support Upgrading (or even a clean install) to Windows 10 2004 fails with two errors: (BSOD) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Summary of Issue Upgrading (or even a clean install) to Windows 10 2004 fails with two errors: (BSOD) DRIVER PNP WATCHDOG ERROR (installation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/rawintellect, May 29, 2020.

1. Upgrading (or even a clean install) to Windows 10 2004 fails with two errors: (BSOD)

Summary of Issue
    Upgrading (or even a clean install) to Windows 10 2004 fails with two errors: (BSOD)

1. DRIVER PNP WATCHDOG ERROR (installation continues after it dumps and reboots, but once in the OS the below mentioned problem exists)
    1. If I delete the AMD driver 20.5.1 and force it to use The Microsoft standard driver I can install Windows 10 2004. However, when finally updating to 20.5.1 windows will hang and eventually BSOD with DRIVER POWER STATE ERROR
      Both of these BSODS are directly related to the latest AMD display driver 20.5.1 (and I suspect the default driver installed in windows update as well).

If I DDU the driver in safe mode and use DDU to prevent windows from downloading a NEW display driver (aka remove all traces of AMD display drivers) all is well. I can shutdown windows and start it up with no issues. But as soon as I update to ANY AMD driver (latest included) the abovementioned issues return and I am forced to return to version 1909.
    2. System Configuration
    • Motherboard (ASUS ROG X399-E Gaming)
    • CPU (AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X)
    • PSU (Antec HCP1000 Platinum Power Supply 1000 Watts)
    • Display Make, Model and Type (Powercolor Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Devil Overclocked Triple-Fan 8GB)
    • System Memory (64Gb Corsair Vengence 3600)
    • GPU/VBIOS (Powercolor Red Devil RX 5700XT 8GB (017.001.000.049))
    • OS (Windows 10 x64 (18363.836))
    • Driver (Radeon: Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.5.1)
    • Applications (N/A the entire OS is affected)
    • Background Apps (see above)

Steps to Reproduce (install or upgrade to Windows 10 2004 with any AMD display drivers)

submitted by /u/rawintellect
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/rawintellect, May 29, 2020

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, May 29, 2020
  3. No More Clean-Installs for Vista Upgrades

When users were upgrading to Windows XP, the procedure was that users could simply insert their old Windows 98 or Windows 2000 CD at the appropriate time during a clean install without the need for the old OS to be installed at the time. However, Microsoft has decided to change this for Vista, and now requires a fully installed and activated version of your old OS already on the machine. This comes as an attempt to prevent illegal use of upgrade CDs, but could be inconvenient and time consuming when the time comes to reinstall. The new procedure for a reinstall is as follows:
    • Install your old copy of Windows XP
    • Activate it either online or over the phone
    • Install Vista
    Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, May 29, 2020
  4. CK011885 Win User

Upgrading (or even a clean install) to Windows 10 2004 fails with two errors: (BSOD)

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, May 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Upgrading (or even a clean install) to Windows 10 2004 fails with two errors: (BSOD) - Similar Threads - Upgrading clean install

2. BSOD Errors even after clean install of Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Errors even after clean install of Windows: I am having BSOD errors on my Dell Alienware M17 R5 laptop, i am installing manufacturers drivers but i think its driver related. I am adding my minidump files. Minidump.zip I tried using driver checker and i got BSOD errors hypervisor_error, pfn list corrupt and after trying...
  3. BSOD Errors even after clean install of Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD Errors even after clean install of Windows: I am having BSOD errors on my Dell Alienware M17 R5 laptop, i am installing manufacturers drivers but i think its driver related. I am adding my minidump files. Minidump.zip I tried using driver checker and i got BSOD errors hypervisor_error, pfn list corrupt and after trying...
  4. Windows 8.1 failed the upgrade, Clean install of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 8.1 failed the upgrade, Clean install of Windows 10: Hi All,I have been working on a huge problem trying to get Windows 10 to complete the upgrade of my sisters Dell Inspiron 2350 AIO running multiple times with the same error codes 0xC1900101 - 0x30018, Link to errors.Long story short I have done a clean installation on the...
  5. BSOD even after clean install of Windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD even after clean install of Windows: Hi guys, I've been having BSODs randomly throughout the day for the past 2 weeks, did all kinds of debugging trying to address it with no luck. Just did a fresh install last night and ran windows memtest with no error overnight but this morning I got 2 more BSOD. System...
  6. Windows 10 upgrade failed to 2004

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 upgrade failed to 2004: I am running version 1903 and have tried to upgrade to 2004 through the settings/upgrade and the upgrade assistant but failing in both cases. I get a error code 0x80004005-0x60016 based on setupDiag. I have tried DISM, SFC, renaming the software distribution folders and other...
  7. BSOD Even After Clean Windows Install

BSOD Even After Clean Windows Install: About a month or two ago I started getting BSOD while gaming. I tried a bunch of troubleshooting steps and nothing worked, so I decided to go for a clean Windows install. I didn't keep any personal files. I didn't get a BSOD for a few days, then it started up again. I get one...
  8. BSOD even after clean Windows 10 install

BSOD even after clean Windows 10 install: Hi, As you can read the title my PC keeps getting BSODs even after clean Windows 10 ver.2004 install. It's been days since I'm trying to find a solution, I have tried many things like 'sfc /scannow', 'chkdsk /r /f', 'DISM restorehealth and etc.', performed Memtest86 also...
  9. Fail to install 2004 upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Fail to install 2004 upgrade: Hello, I am still on windows version 1909! and windows update don't propose 2004 upgrade ,it says " you are up to date " So I tried both " Media control tool 2004" and "Windows10upgrade9252" but at the end of all the process I always get this message "Installation program...
  10. Cant upgrade windows 10 1909 to 2004- fails with a bsod .

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cant upgrade windows 10 1909 to 2004- fails with a bsod .: Hi there folks, Have a custom built desktop 10 years old though runs quite speedily. Asus evo motherboard, 4gb ram, Samsung evo SSD Nivida 710 GPU, quad core CPU, no problem running Windows 10 pro 1909 updated from former builds. I am more than happy with how Windows 1909...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. clean install of windows 10 2004

2. cant install windows 10 2004 bsod