Windows 10: Upgrading secondary storage to 8TB or more

Discus and support Upgrading secondary storage to 8TB or more in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello! If I am correct, Windows 10 64-bit can handle a hard disk up to 16TB, so I should not have any problem installing a new 8TB or 10TB SATA hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by spapakons, Oct 1, 2020.

1. spapakons Win User

Upgrading secondary storage to 8TB or more

Hello!

If I am correct, Windows 10 64-bit can handle a hard disk up to 16TB, so I should not have any problem installing a new 8TB or 10TB SATA hard disk in my system (see my specs). However, I must be 100% sure before buying. My motherboard is an Asus P8H61 (socket Intel 1155, H61 chipset). Can I install an 8TB or 10TB SATA disk? My Windows boot disk is an SSD. The new disk will be my secondary storage. If I need a single partition I should format the disk as GPT. Anything else to consider?

Thank you in advance.

:)

spapakons, Oct 1, 2020

2. Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, Oct 1, 2020
  3. Storage Spaces - How to upgrade motherboard/CPU/RAM

I want to upgrade my 6 year old Motherboard/CPU/RAM/etc but I have 32TB (4 separate 8TB mechanical drives) setup in full backup in a Storage Space using Windows 10. How do make sure I don't lose all my data when I upgrade the Motherboard/CPU/etc? These
    are precious family videos, pictures etc. Can I just unplug the 4 different 8TB mechanical drives, then do the upgrade of the Motherboard/CPU/etc, then plug the 4 different 8TB mechanical drives back in? Is Windows 10 setup to recognize the pre-existing
    storage space? PLEASE HELP! My system is getting so slow b/c of the old components!!!!!

Thank you!

MarcWaggles, Oct 1, 2020
  4. Upgrading secondary storage to 8TB or more

W10 File History Not Backing Up Internal Secondary Drive.

Here is my issue exactly.

I have two internal drives. One SSD and a secondary 8TB drive containing all my media.

I have one 8TB External drive as well, which is my main backup drive.

I use File History to backup my two internal drives onto my external.

I go into the W10 settings, Backup options. Added my secondary drive (M:\) to the 'Back Up These Folders' option. (also not I added my secondary internal drive to my Library.

Boom, I hit the 'Back Up Now' button. Everything seems like it's operating perfectly. Except the problem is nothing from my internal secondary drives is copying over to my Backup drive. With no warning either.

I even checked my event logs and I see this happening:

File/directory was not backed up due to being encrypted or insufficient permissions:

M:\System Volume Information

If you want it to be protected, remove encryption or ask your system administrator to give you access to this file/directory.

My secondary internal was never encrypted. I simply copied all my previous info from my older drives onto my new internal 8TB.

Long story short. My File History will not backup my internal 8TB drive to my External 8TB. It only sees my OS drive (SSD).

I'm clueless at this point.

Running W10.

Internal OS SSD is Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256BG

Internal 8TB Drive is HGST 8TB Nas Drive

External 8TB Backup Drive is Seagate Backup+

I have full admin control of all my drives.

David Paplia, Oct 1, 2020
Thema:

Upgrading secondary storage to 8TB or more

1. Upgrading secondary storage to 8TB or more - Similar Threads - Upgrading secondary storage

2. Buy more storage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Buy more storage: Hi,I have windows 10 and have run out of storage. I currently use a macbook but have windows 10 installed. is there a way to buy more storage? Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/buy-more-storage/11c5c6d2-0a8b-49e9-8483-9fa85141bf62
  3. Buy more storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Buy more storage: Hi,I have windows 10 and have run out of storage. I currently use a macbook but have windows 10 installed. is there a way to buy more storage? Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/buy-more-storage/11c5c6d2-0a8b-49e9-8483-9fa85141bf62
  4. Buy more storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Adding new 8TB internal Seagate Storage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adding new 8TB internal Seagate Storage: I recently purchased an 8TB Seagate internal drive for extra storage. After plugging it all in I get the "Your Pc ran into a problem and needs to restart," screen. I have never had any issue adding storage before. I thought it was a bad drive so I replaced it with the same...
  6. Upgrading secondary storage to 8TB or more

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrading secondary storage to 8TB or more: Hello! If I am correct, Windows 10 64-bit can handle a hard disk up to 16TB, so I should not have any problem installing a new 8TB or 10TB SATA hard disk in my system (see my specs). However, I must be 100% sure before buying. My motherboard is an Asus P8H61 (socket Intel...
  7. More storage

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    More storage: Are there any apps that can be removed from my HP Stream because I'm always freeing up space, and how can I get change my backup from C drive to F drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/more-storage/09823ffa-e6d1-49a0-a100-dfdc737a5f08
  8. To Upgrade Storage

To Upgrade Storage: Hi I am Yeasin, using HP Probook 450 G4 which has storage of HDD 1 TB. Now I want to add Samsung 860 EVO 250GB 2.5 Inch Sata SSD. Can I use both drive at a time or I have to remove HDD to add SSD ? [ATTACH]...
  9. need more storage space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    need more storage space: I have a ASUS E402S and it does not have enough storage for windows 10 to update. What can I do to get more storage? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-more-storage-space/fdd87d0f-f50a-4a6c-9a11-175805b5cc21
  10. Laptops That Support A Secondary Storage Drive

Laptops That Support A Secondary Storage Drive: I am looking for a laptop that will support a second internal storage drive. Over the years, I have removed the ROM drive and installed a secondary hard drive using a hard drive caddy. But a lot of decent laptops don't have a ROM drive these days. Does anyone have any ideas?...