Windows 10: Upgrading SSD while retaining all the data

Discus and support Upgrading SSD while retaining all the data in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am currently having 128GB SSD on my HP Laptop with original Windows 10. I am planning to upgrade the SSD to 512GB. I have a lot of my software,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PrachiSharma1, May 17, 2019.

1. Upgrading SSD while retaining all the data

I am currently having 128GB SSD on my HP Laptop with original Windows 10. I am planning to upgrade the SSD to 512GB. I have a lot of my software, servers installations, development environments created and manually settings with the port numbers. Is it possible to upgrade to new SSD with all these configurations as it is? Can I transfer all these installations and configurations from my 128GB SSD to the newly bought 512GB SSD? I'm currently having 160GB of installations in SSD + 300GB in HDD(only softwares).

:)

PrachiSharma1, May 17, 2019

2. Is this amount of Data writen normal for a SSD?

I don't use SSD, since I heard that SSD has a very limited time for writes. And every time, you write something, it erases whole piece and write again together with the new to storage. Tip also suggests us to leave 1/4 SSD space for temporary storage. Or trouble will come.
    Tips also recommend us to leave SSD for OS, and HDD for programs and data.
    If your data is OS data, then there is nothing to do.

FrankBarrera, May 17, 2019
  3. Will the software and other data retain after upgrade to Windows 10?

Hi Rupesh,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that if you upgrade your current operating system to Windows 10 using Windows Updates, then you can choose to save all your settings, programs and other data files. For more information, please refer to the following link:

Help with upgrading to
    Windows 10

However, there are some programs that need new definitions compatible with Windows 10. Till the time they are unavailable you can install the programs compatible with previous versions of operating system in compatibility mode. If you can access the executable
    (.exe) file for the game, I would suggest you to follow the below provided steps:

Step 1: Download and save the program on the desktop.

Step 2: Install the program in compatibility mode.

• Right click on the .exe file, and click on Properties.
    • Go to the Compatibility tab.
    • Check the box for Run this program in compatibility mode for:
    • Select Windows 8 (or any other compatible OS) in the list of Operating systems.
    • Click OK.
    • Double-click the executable file to install the program and follow the onscreen instructions.
    • Reboot your computer.
    Additional information:

Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Harkanwar Singh, May 17, 2019
  4. Upgrading SSD while retaining all the data

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, May 17, 2019
Thema:

Upgrading SSD while retaining all the data

1. Upgrading SSD while retaining all the data - Similar Threads - Upgrading SSD while

2. How to migrate windows to a ssd while keeping all data on my original hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to migrate windows to a ssd while keeping all data on my original hdd: I currently have a 1tb hard drive that I've used for a few years. Recently I got a new ssd that is also 1tb and I would like to run windows on it. How would I move windows to the ssd while keeping all my data on the hard drive?...
  3. How to migrate windows to a ssd while keeping all data on my original hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to migrate windows to a ssd while keeping all data on my original hdd: I currently have a 1tb hard drive that I've used for a few years. Recently I got a new ssd that is also 1tb and I would like to run windows on it. How would I move windows to the ssd while keeping all my data on the hard drive?...
  4. How to migrate windows to a ssd while keeping all data on my original hdd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to retain Original Windows 10 while adding an SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to retain Original Windows 10 while adding an SSD: I have an i5 9th gen ASUS Rog strix /8GB / 1TB HDD with no SSD/ 4GB /GTX 1050I want to add an M.2 SSD.How do I retain and reinstall my original Windows 10 Home from HDD to SSD ?...
  6. How to retain Original Windows 10 while adding an SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to retain Original Windows 10 while adding an SSD: I have an i5 9th gen ASUS Rog strix /8GB / 1TB HDD with no SSD/ 4GB /GTX 1050I want to add an M.2 SSD.How do I retain and reinstall my original Windows 10 Home from HDD to SSD ?...
  7. How to retain Original Windows 10 while adding an SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Upgrade Laptop SSD but retain original windows.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade Laptop SSD but retain original windows.: I own Lenovo Legion Y530. i5 8th GenGTX 1050ti1 TB SATA HDD128 GB NvMe M.2 SSDI want to upgrade my laptop's SSD from 128 GB to 256 GB. I have original Licensed windows on my 128 GB SSD.When I upgrade it to 256 GB SSD, can someone help me with how do I retail my original...
  9. Can I transfer all data to a SSD and then to another SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I transfer all data to a SSD and then to another SSD: So I got a new SSD for Christmas and I can’t transfer my data from my old SSD to my new SSD because I can’t have them in at the same time, so I am transferring my data to a portable hard drive, and then onto my new SSD. My main thought is that it won’t get ALL of my data over...
  10. Email folders not retaining data

in Browsers and Email
    Email folders not retaining data: I discovered that dozens of email messages I had moved to special folders for safekeeping have all been deleted. Is there a setting to prevent this, or a better retention method if not? 63799