Windows 10: Upgrading to 10 from 7, is the External USB bug fixed

Discus and support Upgrading to 10 from 7, is the External USB bug fixed in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I seem to remember a bug if you tried to upgraded to Win 10 (was it from 7 or from other version of 10) and had an external USB drive attached, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/captain_dylan_hunt, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Upgrading to 10 from 7, is the External USB bug fixed

I seem to remember a bug if you tried to upgraded to Win 10 (was it from 7 or from other version of 10) and had an external USB drive attached, the Win10 upgrade would fail?

Is this still the case, or did Msft fix this?

Seem in 1903 things were fixed, broken, fixed broken..etc, etc. Then 1909 was released and off we go again.

Thanks

submitted by /u/captain_dylan_hunt
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/captain_dylan_hunt, Nov 25, 2019
  2. n2bn2b Win User

Recommend hardware changes for upgrading from Win-7 to Win-10

Bree
    I followed your suggestions (2nd Aug 19) for installing Win-10. Made the bootable flash drive successfully through the media creation tool. But when I attempted to upgrade and activate to Win-10 (64 bit) from within Win-7 (Pro-32 bit), I got the following error message:

Error # OxC1900101-Ox20017. " The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation"

I read the diagnostics under this error number and carried out the proposed fixes, i.e. update Win-7, uninstall Malwarebyte antivirus, disconnect all external hardware, e.g. printer, scanner, external hard drives. I then tried to repeat the steps to do the upgrade through the Win-10 bootable flash drive as before. Got the same error message.
    Appreciate any further comments and suggestions as to (a) what does a failure in the SAFE_OS during boot operation mean, (b) what can I do to solve it. Is this anything to do with the hardware in my computer? I listed these in my first posting above.
    Thanks for any help

n2bn2b, Nov 25, 2019
  3. Nordic Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Nov 25, 2019
  4. Mussels Win User

Upgrading to 10 from 7, is the External USB bug fixed

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Nov 25, 2019
Thema:

Upgrading to 10 from 7, is the External USB bug fixed

1. Upgrading to 10 from 7, is the External USB bug fixed - Similar Threads - Upgrading External USB

2. upgrade from 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrade from 7 to 10: am i too late to update from windows 7 to windows 10 this is the first time ive had the laptop out in years https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-7-to-10/ef5d3dba-fa41-432d-b6a2-58e43bd67771
  3. upgrade from 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    upgrade from 7 to 10: am i too late to update from windows 7 to windows 10 this is the first time ive had the laptop out in years https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-7-to-10/ef5d3dba-fa41-432d-b6a2-58e43bd67771
  4. Upgrade from 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from 7 to 10: I bought a new computer with Windows 7 and the right to upgrade to Windows 10. I did not want to upgrade because my 7 was working fine. Now I want to upgrade.When I just now tried to use Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if I could do the upgrade, it said it was "unable to...
  5. Upgrade from 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade from 7 to 10: I bought a new computer with Windows 7 and the right to upgrade to Windows 10. I did not want to upgrade because my 7 was working fine. Now I want to upgrade.When I just now tried to use Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if I could do the upgrade, it said it was "unable to...
  6. Upgrade from 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade from 7 to 10: I'm trying to upgrade from windows 7 to 10 and I meet reqs it's been stuck at 30%for a while any tips? submitted by /u/Cewz1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ka0vfm/upgrade_from_7_to_10/
  7. Upgrading from 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading from 7 to 10: Hi all. I’ve backed up all files on my W7 build. I am planning to use my W7 key to license W10. I’ve seen tutorials on how to do the upgrade using the media creation tool. My questions is: can I use my W7 key to register a clean install of W10 or will I only be able to use my...
  8. Upgrade from 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from 7 to 10: I have tried to upgrade to Microsoft 10 . I have 7pro loaded on computer every time I try to upgrade to 10 I get an error message oxC1900101-ox20017 I have been trying for days now can not load 10 keeps reverting back to 7 pro I have purchased a drive fixer still know good, I...
  9. Upgrading from 7 to 10

Upgrading from 7 to 10: I just want to know if I upgrade from W7 to W10 will all of my applications be removed (eg. do I have to re-install all my apps)? 11028
  10. Upgrading Win 7 that is freshly installed on an external USB 2.0 HDD

Upgrading Win 7 that is freshly installed on an external USB 2.0 HDD: Hello, I have just installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 Pro (x64) onto an external hard drive (connected via USB 2.0). (I used a freeware program called WinToUSB to achieve this.) It now exists alongside my normal Windows 7 installation (which is on an internal SSD). My...